Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Distance Learning: Science A-Levels Alongside My Degree Watch

ReputationRep:
    :hi:

I'm finally back on TSR after like a year.

So, I'm studying History at University and enjoying it for the most part. I've decided, though, that I really want to try and enter into a Graduate Degree in Medicine or Veterinary Medicine (most likely the latter).

I didn't take Biology, Chemistry or Mathematics at A-Level because this wasn't what I wanted to do back then. So, I know I now will need to take Biology and Chemistry at least in order to be eligible to undertake this course in the future, based on my research into the programmes available at relevant Universities across the country.

I'm basically wondering if anybody here has any insight into Distance Learning A-Levels. If anyone here has actually taken an A-Level alongside their degree before, any insight would be greatly appreciated. Further to that, if anybody has any links or materials they can send my way - I'd be more than grateful!

Cheers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ivybridges)

So, I'm studying History at University and enjoying it for the most part. I've decided, though, that I really want to try and enter into a Graduate Degree in Medicine or Veterinary Medicine (most likely the latter).

I didn't take Biology, Chemistry or Mathematics at A-Level because this wasn't what I wanted to do back then. So, I know I now will need to take Biology and Chemistry at least in order to be eligible to undertake this course in the future, based on my research into the programmes available at relevant Universities across the country.

I'm basically wondering if anybody here has any insight into Distance Learning A-Levels. If anyone here has actually taken an A-Level alongside their degree before, any insight would be greatly appreciated. Further to that, if anybody has any links or materials they can send my way - I'd be more than grateful!

Cheers
    The problem that you will have is arranging the exams. You will need to find your own exam centre, and not many centres will offer practical exams. This can be very expensive, and can involve a lot of travelling. You'll also need to check the exam dates, as there may be a clash with your uni exams.

So you need to start by contacting centres, to see if they do offer practical exams and if so which boards they offer. You then need to figure out how to learn the required material. But start from the centre, because you don't want to learn the wrong exam board.

You can study through companies such as National Extension College or Open Study College, but these are very expensive (and you still need to pay the exam fees) and not much better than getting your own textbook.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    The problem that you will have is arranging the exams. You will need to find your own exam centre, and not many centres will offer practical exams. This can be very expensive, and can involve a lot of travelling. You'll also need to check the exam dates, as there may be a clash with your uni exams.

So you need to start by contacting centres, to see if they do offer practical exams and if so which boards they offer. You then need to figure out how to learn the required material. But start from the centre, because you don't want to learn the wrong exam board.

You can study through companies such as National Extension College or Open Study College, but these are very expensive (and you still need to pay the exam fees) and not much better than getting your own textbook.
    Thanks for this.

I went to a sixth that is a private centre too so I should be fine after contacting them.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for this.

I went to a sixth that is a private centre too so I should be fine after contacting them.
    Not all private centres offer the practical components

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    Not all private centres offer the practical components
    Yes this sixth form does so it's fine. That's my point 😊
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Yes this sixth form does so it's fine. That's my point 😊
    No, your point was that they are a sixth form, and also take private candidates. That does not mean that they take private candidates for all subjects. You may be lucky, but you're making huge assumptions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    No, your point was that they are a sixth form, and also take private candidates. That does not mean that they take private candidates for all subjects. You may be lucky, but you're making huge assumptions.
    I mean because I went there I know what they facilitate. Not sure why you're being so rude?
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:

Cheers
    Hello

NEC can help you with this. We can offer on-line course materials, tutor support (which includes tutor marked assignments), a guaranteed exam place and the opportunity to complete the practical endorsement.

Take a look at our website for more information - WWW.NEC.AC.UK

Or give us a call on 0800 3892839

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.