The Student Room Group

I don't drink... Is freshers still worth it?

Freshers week is next week in the university I am joining. I want to know is it still worth going if I am not going to drink alcohol?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Hockeylad44
Freshers week is next week in the university I am joining. I want to know is it still worth going if I am not going to drink alcohol?

If you re happy to be at events where people are drinking then definitely go :smile:
Last year I didn't drink nor did I go to freshers events. I regretted being so reserved and stubborn but I still made plenty of friends.
It kind of depends on the event. If it's just drinks at a pub or a small flat party, it'll probably be ok, because you can still have conversations with people.

If it's a really big flat party, or at a club, I'd say probably avoid it, because it's pretty likely that you'll be the only sober one there.

I'm in my third year of uni, and I don't drink. I only really avoid clubs and large flat parties. I go to the pub with my friends every other week, but I don't get alcohol. Most pubs will probably have food and non-alcoholic drinks that you can buy.
Reply 4
From my experience of when I went to flat parties and pre drinks when I couldn't drink, it is not fun. The difference between talking to drunk people when drunk and sober is huge, when your sober it's embarrassing thinking thats how you react when you're drunk.

I suggest finding other people that don't drink and going with them instead
There are plenty of events during fresher's week that don't revolve around alcohol. Look to your SU for film events, comedy, performance art and local societies for things such as game nights and more.

I'm not a big drinker (and definitely can't keep up with these 18 year olds!) but managed to have a great week, so it's definitely possible. :smile:.
Avoid clubs like the plague and you'll be fine. There's a bunch of none alcohol-related freshers events during the day/early evening normally, if that's your thing. Otherwise, I know a guy who turned up to pre drinks with a cup of coffee once and he still had an alright time.

But seriously, hitting a club sober is the worst thing anybody could possibly subject themselves to.
Theres plenty of other stuff to do. Some courses require you to go for induction stuff. Mine for example had things every day during freshers week (annoying af as I couldnt go to any of the taster events for societies). But there are taster events for societies like sports, and theres the freshers fair at the end of the week usually.

If you're fun without a drink, then you get the best of both worlds - Enjoyable in the day, enjoyable on a night out.
There should be plenty of other daytime activities that you can get involved in which do not revolved around drinking.

ofc it is
Original post by QuentinM
Theres plenty of other stuff to do. Some courses require you to go for induction stuff. Mine for example had things every day during freshers week (annoying af as I couldnt go to any of the taster events for societies).

tbf I skipped 50% of my induction stuff and so far have all the important information anyway. Nobody even noticed.
Original post by Retired_Messiah
tbf I skipped 50% of my induction stuff and so far have all the important information anyway. Nobody even noticed.

I'm telling.
Original post by L'étranger123
I'm telling.

oh no
Original post by TitanCream
Last year I didn't drink nor did I go to freshers events. I regretted being so reserved and stubborn but I still made plenty of friends.

Why?
Definitely, you can still meet people, even find someone else that doesn't drink possibly?
Avoid clubs like the plague and you'll be fine.

I agree with this but this is basically the problem with not drinking. You meet tons of people at these things.

OP, is there any particular reason you're resolved against drinking? Because it does smooth things along.
Original post by TimmonaPortella
I agree with this but this is basically the problem with not drinking. You meet tons of people at these things.

OP, is there any particular reason you're resolved against drinking? Because it does smooth things along.

Not necessarily. I met the bulk of decent people at pre-drinks initially. If you have the social confidence to be at pres without drink and successfully manage to hit it off with people, you wouldn't necessarily have to hit the clubs at all.

That said, if OP is open to the idea of having a drink or two it will open up a couple more options.
Not necessarily. I met the bulk of decent people at pre-drinks initially. If you have the social confidence to be at pres without drink and successfully manage to hit it off with people, you wouldn't necessarily have to hit the clubs at all.

That said, if OP is open to the idea of having a drink or two it will open up a couple more options.

Yeah I agree with that as well. As I think you suggest it still helps things along. You can pull off sitting through ring of fire with a glass of coke if you have confidence, but it's much easier to just join in, as well as less annoying to be there (being the sober one around people who are on their way to being drunk is awful).

Ha i wish i had that sense, I would have missed nothing if i had done that

Quick Reply