The Student Room Group

Medicine i dont have any work experience

I know a lot of universities want you to have worked in a hospital or gp like shadow a doctor or anything but I don't have anything like that. I have worked at a pharmacy for about a month and I handled care home patient's medicine, I also worked in a pharmacy and have done quite a bit of voluntary work with different charities and am charge of advertising/making posters etc for a society at my college. Is this not enough?
Original post by Student1600
I know a lot of universities want you to have worked in a hospital or gp like shadow a doctor or anything but I don't have anything like that. I have worked at a pharmacy for about a month and I handled care home patient's medicine, I also worked in a pharmacy and have done quite a bit of voluntary work with different charities and am charge of advertising/making posters etc for a society at my college. Is this not enough?

It sounds like more than enough if you want to be a pharmacist.

Work experience isn't there to satisfy the universities, it's supposed to show you (admittedly in a limited way, but that's better than nothing at 18) what being a doctor is like so you can think about whether or not it's a job and working environment you'd be suited to.

You say you handled care home patients' medications...what did that involve? Was there any direct patient contact?

Are you in year 12 or year 13?
I just started year 13 and well over the counter I was dealing with some patients but it wasn't really specific, with care home patients I was just making dossets for different patients. I also rang up care homes to confirm certain medicine for certain patients but that was all
Original post by Democracy
It sounds like more than enough if you want to be a pharmacist.

Work experience isn't there to satisfy the universities, it's supposed to show you (admittedly in a limited way, but that's better than nothing at 18) what being a doctor is like so you can think about whether or not it's a job and working environment you'd be suited to.

You say you handled care home patients' medications...what did that involve? Was there any direct patient contact?

Are you in year 12 or year 13?
I just started year 13 and well over the counter I was dealing with some patients but it wasn't really specific, with care home patients I was just making dossets for different patients. I also rang up care homes to confirm certain medicine for certain patients but that was all

Okay, so was there a reason why you didn't do any GP/hospital work experience or volunteering e.g. in a hospice, care home etc?
I didn't have a good day in my bio exam so got a low grade and lost all hope over the summer of medicine but when I got my predicted grades yesterday I got AAA for bio chemistry and maths so I was quite surprised and now I am attempting to fit everything in as quick as possible :frown:
Okay, so was there a reason why you didn't do any GP/hospital work experience or volunteering e.g. in a hospice, care home etc?
I didn't have a good day in my bio exam so got a low grade and lost all hope over the summer of medicine but when I got my predicted grades yesterday I got AAA for bio chemistry and maths so I was quite surprised and now I am attempting to fit everything in as quick as possible :frown:

Well, I can understand where you're coming from, however, speaking realistically, any serious/competitive med school applicant will have completed medical work experience and volunteering by now.

You can try applying with what you've done so far, and in the meantime start sorting out some work experience and volunteering asap. It usually takes a few months to sort out applications, DBS checks etc so you need to start making enquiries now. You can include what you've done up til now in your PS, but you shouldn't embellish or include irrelevant things.

Hopefully you can get an interview and by that point you'll have done your work experience and volunteering so you can talk about it there. If you don't get any interview invites, you should still complete the work experience and volunteering, work hard to get AAA and re-apply next year.

Have you thought about the UKCAT/BMAT yet?
I am planning to do the UKCAT maybe next week Tuesday and I've applied for work experience at a hospital I'm having an interview on the 25th for that so hopefully will def have work experience at a hospital by the time I'd get an interview. How would I incorporate that into my personal statement? the internal deadline is next week Friday for us
Well, I can understand where you're coming from, however, speaking realistically, any serious/competitive med school applicant will have completed medical work experience and volunteering by now.

You can try applying with what you've done so far, and in the meantime start sorting out some work experience and volunteering asap. It usually takes a few months to sort out applications, DBS checks etc so you need to start making enquiries now. You can include what you've done up til now in your PS, but you shouldn't embellish or include irrelevant things.

Hopefully you can get an interview and by that point you'll have done your work experience and volunteering so you can talk about it there. If you don't get any interview invites, you should still complete the work experience and volunteering, work hard to get AAA and re-apply next year.

Have you thought about the UKCAT/BMAT yet?
Are any classmates parents doctors? I managed to secure a month in a hospital through my friends parents being consultants
not really :frown:
Original post by HeadHoncho
Are any classmates parents doctors? I managed to secure a month in a hospital through my friends parents being consultants
Yes but I could do more and I've been to several ukcat talks too so I know what to expect
Original post by Volibear
What do you mean you're planning to do the UKCAT maybe next week? Have you started revising???

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending