The Student Room Group

Newcastle Medicine Partners Scheme 2018 entry

Is anyone else considering the Newcastle partners scheme for medicine 2018 entry?
http://www.ncl.ac.uk/schools/partners/
Info on the Newcastle Partners scheme and eligibility found here. The partners UKCAT threshold may also differ from the normal undergraduate threshold.:smile:

Scroll to see replies

Edited - Partners thresholds are posted further down this page
(edited 6 years ago)
I’m hopefully applying too! What are your stats?
Original post by Hdheimdnbf
I’m hopefully applying too! What are your stats?

GCSEs - 5A* 5A
Predictions - A*AA
UKCAT - 613

Not a great UKCAT by any means but I loved Newcastle so much and was encouraged to apply despite the low score. Hoping we get a repeat of 2015 haha. And 2016's partners cut off was also low at 2400 :smile:
How are your stats?
Original post by hopefulmedic101
Is anyone else considering the Newcastle partners scheme for medicine 2018 entry?
http://www.ncl.ac.uk/schools/partners/
Info on the Newcastle Partners scheme and eligibility found here. The partners UKCAT threshold may also differ from the normal undergraduate threshold.:smile:

whats the difference between it and normal a100. why do not many apply? disadvantages? can u exppain to me what it is
Original post by 00sevenmagic
whats the difference between it and normal a100. why do not many apply? disadvantages? can u exppain to me what it is

To be honest you could find all this on the link but basically its a scheme where if you fulfil widening participation criteria you are assessed using a lower UKCAT threshold for a lower conditional offer of ABB. You also need to complete an assessed summer school. :smile:
GCSEs - 5A* 5A
Predictions - A*AA
UKCAT - 613

Not a great UKCAT by any means but I loved Newcastle so much and was encouraged to apply despite the low score. Hoping we get a repeat of 2015 haha. And 2016's partners cut off was also low at 2400 :smile:
How are your stats?

1A* 8A’s 1B
UKCAT - 660
Predictions - AAA
1A* 8A’s 1B
UKCAT - 660
Predictions - AAA

Your UKCATs amazing well done! I'm sure you'll get a partners interview this year :smile:
Your UKCATs amazing well done! I'm sure you'll get a partners interview this year :smile:

I hope so cut off last year was 650 and this year the interim is higher than average
I hope so cut off last year was 650 and this year the interim is higher than average

True but I'm hypothesising that that will dissuade a lot of people from applying. I have two friends who got 690 and are saying its too risky to apply to Newcastle so hopefully we get a low cut off or at least low on the partners scheme.
True but I'm hypothesising that that will dissuade a lot of people from applying. I have two friends who got 690 and are saying its too risky to apply to Newcastle so hopefully we get a low cut off or at least low on the partners scheme.

I know loads of people who didn’t get over 700 aren’t applying because everyone is scared of the ukcat ‘big boy’. How would this lower the cut off?
To be honest you could find all this on the link but basically its a scheme where if you fulfil widening participation criteria you are assessed using a lower UKCAT threshold for a lower conditional offer of ABB. You also need to complete an assessed summer school. :smile:

so there are no disadvatages really? is it a longer course or its still just a100 5 years, but easier to get in?
I know loads of people who didn’t get over 700 aren’t applying because everyone is scared of the ukcat ‘big boy’. How would this lower the cut off?

Basically Newcastle invite the top 1000 UKCAT scores to interview so if not many people apply than this will cause the cut off to be significantly lower than useful. So for example in 2015, the cut off was 2300 because only 1300 applied and so the top 1000 were invited to interview - nearly everyone got an interview! The open day was really good the medicine talk explained all this
Original post by 00sevenmagic
so there are no disadvatages really? is it a longer course or its still just a100 5 years, but easier to get in?

No it's for standard entry onto the 5 year a100 course. I cant think of any disadvantages except you have to firm Newcastle and if you fail the summer school you wont be accepted.
where do you look for PARTNERS threshold for UKCAT???
Basically Newcastle invite the top 1000 UKCAT scores to interview so if not many people apply than this will cause the cut off to be significantly lower than useful. So for example in 2015, the cut off was 2300 because only 1300 applied and so the top 1000 were invited to interview - nearly everyone got an interview! The open day was really good the medicine talk explained all this

For the online form I can’t select a referee
Original post by lolz23489
where do you look for PARTNERS threshold for UKCAT???

its not on their website. I asked about it on the open day and someone from admissions emailed me the thresholds. I'm going to take a screenshot and post it as soon as I figure out how on my new laptop xD
its not on their website. I asked about it on the open day and someone from admissions emailed me the thresholds. I'm going to take a screenshot and post it as soon as I figure out how on my new laptop xD

3233FE8F-7803-4471-8F05-A39F78E6335D.jpg.jpeg
GCSEs - 5A* 5A
Predictions - A*AA
UKCAT - 613

How are your stats?

but 2016 had 3 sections so doesnt that mean 2400 / 3= 800 average threshold! Also how do i find out threshold???
Original post by lolz23489
but 2016 had 3 sections so doesnt that mean 2400 / 3= 800 average threshold! Also how do i find out threshold???

She means 2016 entry I think

Quick Reply

Latest