What route should i take to dentistry? ; HELP NEED ADVISE

Watch
00sevenmagic
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
k here goes...

So at GCSE i got 2A*s,8As,5 (English Language). Currently in year 12 doing Biology, Chemistry and Maths A level.

I have a few option career wise. I want to primarily be a dentist, and wanted to for a few year. Currently have a fews weeks work experience and work at care home every week.

Option 1: Apply for dentistry in the UK. There are about 5 universities that accept a 5 in english language to restricts where can apply. Also would be very touch as not the best GCSE grades for dentistry.

Option 2: Apply for dentistry in europe (bulgaria). Don't know much about it but know easier to get into, i think.

Option 3: Apply to neuroscience in the Uk. Could apply to top unis as not as competitive however not really want I want to do. Dentistry is the dream.

Option after: Apply UK/Europe for dentistry and if don't get in apply to easyjet or british airways to train to be a pilot (another dream/passion of mine). Or take a gap year and reaply?

What do u think my best option is?

Thanks
Basiil17
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by 00sevenmagic)
k here goes...

So at GCSE i got 2A*s,8As,5 (English Language). Currently in year 12 doing Biology, Chemistry and Maths A level.

I have a few option career wise. I want to primarily be a dentist, and wanted to for a few year. Currently have a fews weeks work experience and work at care home every week.

Option 1: Apply for dentistry in the UK. There are about 5 universities that accept a 5 in english language to restricts where can apply. Also would be very touch as not the best GCSE grades for dentistry.

Option 2: Apply for dentistry in europe (bulgaria). Don't know much about it but know easier to get into, i think.

Option 3: Apply to neuroscience in the Uk. Could apply to top unis as not as competitive however not really want I want to do. Dentistry is the dream.

Option after: Apply UK/Europe for dentistry and if don't get in apply to easyjet or british airways to train to be a pilot (another dream/passion of mine). Or take a gap year and reaply?

What do u think my best option is?

Thanks
I'd reccomend Options 1 and 2 as then you have a backup as well, pending you're willing to take it. You have enough UK Unis to fill a UCAS. Obviously depending on the Uni you may need to take the UKCAT as well, and Dentists have the early app deadline.
00sevenmagic
Rep:
?
(Original post by DreamlinerFinder)
I'd reccomend Options 1 and 2 as then you have a backup as well, pending you're willing to take it. You have enough UK Unis to fill a UCAS. Obviously depending on the Uni you may need to take the UKCAT as well, and Dentists have the early app deadline.
Oh i see, how much earlier is it?

When you say option 2 as a back up, I can't just apply abroad if don't get in, in the UK. Would have to take a gap year and then apply in Europe right? I just contemplating if worth applying in UK as is there really a chance of me getting in the grades?
Basiil17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Oh i see, how much earlier is it?

When you say option 2 as a back up, I can't just apply abroad if don't get in, in the UK. Would have to take a gap year and then apply in Europe right? I just contemplating if worth applying in UK as is there really a chance of me getting in the grades?
Same deadline as Oxbridge and Medics= 15th October of the year before you want admission.
I mean applying to the UK and Europe simultaneously for the same cycle, and if you get into the UK, you decline your Europe offer(s).
00sevenmagic
Rep:
?
Same deadline as Oxbridge and Medics= 15th October of the year before you want admission.
I mean applying to the UK and Europe simultaneously for the same cycle, and if you get into the UK, you decline your Europe offer(s).
oh i see, so applying to university in Europe doesn't take up the 5 uni slots you get in the UK.
Basiil17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
oh i see, so applying to university in Europe doesn't take up the 5 uni slots you get in the UK.
No, you apply to 5 via UCAS, and you apply to the European institution via their own app system ( UCAS won't know and your UK unis won't know!)
00sevenmagic
Rep:
?
No, you apply to 5 via UCAS, and you apply to the European institution via their own app system ( UCAS won't know and your UK unis won't know!)
oh i see, thats great i didnt know that. thank so much. Is there a website about for info on this?
Basiil17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
oh i see, thats great i didnt know that. thank so much. Is there a website about for info on this?
Unfortunately it depends on where you are looking, but in Europe it's country specific and most countries may not use a system like UCAS, but I don't know
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Retake GCSE English alongside your A levels - just ask your school - usually very straightforward, and any offer would have the GCSE grade as an additional condition.
00sevenmagic
Rep:
?
(Original post by returnmigrant)
Retake GCSE English alongside your A levels - just ask your school - usually very straightforward, and any offer would have the GCSE grade as an additional condition.
thought many dont accept retakes
returnmigrant
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
GCSEs - they all will.
Its A level retakes that many wont accept.
username3434964
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I don't know about that but you also said many don't take the grade you got.
redhelen
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Options 2 and 4 require you to have rich parents who will support you!

Definitely check whether resitting would be ok with unis. Also if a 5 is way lower than you were expecting how about paying for it to be revised?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (94)
28.23%
No - I have already returned home (44)
13.21%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (62)
18.62%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (33)
9.91%
No - I live at home during term anyway (100)
30.03%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed