Statement from the Secretary of State for Foreign and Comonwealth Affairs, Europe and

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Statement from the Secretary of State for Foreign and Comonwealth Affairs, Europe and International Development

Secretary of State: wolfmoon88 MP

Statement from the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, Europe and International Development: Humanitarian Crisis in Myanmar with regards to the Rohingya

This government has taken note of the motion regarding this issue submitted by the Green Party. The House can be assured that this government will treat this issue with the utmost severity. However, the Foreign Office will not currently take action to suspend the Ambassador from Myanmar at this current moment in time. We will continue to monitor any further developments that may arise as the crisis unfolds before making any decisions on further actions we will take.

This government urges the Myanmar government to keep this crisis from escalating and to stop the persecution of this minority group within its borders. At the same time, we also have to recognise that there has been a minority group within the Rohingya that has resorted to armed conflict to combat the government. We categorically condemn any form of violence on both sides and hope that a peaceful solution can be reached to end this crisis. The Foreign Office applauds aid that has been provided to displaced peoples in Bangladesh by non-governmental organisations. As Bangladesh is a Commonwealth nation, the Foreign Office will send two planes of supplies to the refugee camps in order to help with the situation.
Quamquam123
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I am disappointed that the government have chosen not to suspend the Myanmar ambassador but I respect their decision nonetheless.
Gladstone1885
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Nice to see the government actually responding to something the House puts forward at least
Joep95
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
As some members said the motion submitted did nothing it's good to see that the government has managed to do less than that.
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
This could be better:
As Bangladesh is a Commonwealth nation, the Foreign Office will send two planes of supplies to the refugee camps in order to help with the situation.
This is merely a sticking plaster.

Other than that, aye.
Jammy Duel
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by joecphillips)
As some members said the motion submitted did nothing it's good to see that the government has managed to do less than that.
At least they aren't making people poorer with this statement.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (126)
28.38%
No - I have already returned home (58)
13.06%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (87)
19.59%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (41)
9.23%
No - I live at home during term anyway (132)
29.73%

Watched Threads