The Student Room Group

Is this just a dream?

Hi,
A passion of mine has always been maths. I can easily grasp concepts and enjoy the hell out of lessons! Now, I also have a love for the sciences (in particular medicine) and I do want to study it at university. However, as you have to be 18 by a certain date (for example for Oxford by the 1st of November) I will have 2 years to wait before I can study it and I was wondering if I should apply for maths, do it over 3 years and then apply for the graduate medicine course (4 years)? Let me know your thoughts.

By the way I know how much work is envolved, I am prepared to work hard and it does help that I love learning.

Lauren
Reply 1
GEM is even more competitive than undergraduate and some medical schools will only allow a biological degree when applying for GEM courses. I recommend a read of the following:

https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2032/msc-entry-requirements-for-uk-medical-schools.pdf
Original post by SGHD26716
GEM is even more competitive than undergraduate and some medical schools will only allow a biological degree when applying for GEM courses. I recommend a read of the following:

https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2032/msc-entry-requirements-for-uk-medical-schools.pdf

Thank-you. This is very helpful! :smile:
Original post by LadyPenelope
Hi,
A passion of mine has always been maths. I can easily grasp concepts and enjoy the hell out of lessons! Now, I also have a love for the sciences (in particular medicine) and I do want to study it at university. However, as you have to be 18 by a certain date (for example for Oxford by the 1st of November) I will have 2 years to wait before I can study it and I was wondering if I should apply for maths, do it over 3 years and then apply for the graduate medicine course (4 years)? Let me know your thoughts.

By the way I know how much work is envolved, I am prepared to work hard and it does help that I love learning.

Lauren

In addition to being more competitive, graduate entry medicine is also a lot more expensive and reportedly harder. You shouldn't really plan to do it if undergrad is open to you.

There are some med schools that will accept people of a younger age. Alternatively, a well planned gap year can be incredibly fun and useful...
I'd maybe avoid grad entry too and look into applying for deferred entry. That way, if you'd get in, you could either take a gap year without having to worry about the application process or, if you wouldn't get in, get useful experience of the process and then reapply during your gap year.

Personally I took a gap year and I'm super glad I did. In addition to being a fun and educating experience a gap year can give you the chance to focus on your non-medical interests. Personally I'm really interested in writing and literature and philosophy and stuff so one of my two jobs was in communications and I had the chance to read a lot which was great. I'm not sure how you could do maths-related stuff during your gap year but I'm sure you'd figure something out. :smile:
Thanks everyone for the information and advice.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending