Should science be compulsory at KS4?

Watch this thread
Arran90
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Should science be compulsory at KS4 / GCSE?

I can see good reason why human biology should be compulsory but can anybody justify why the rest of the course should be compulsory.
LlamaLikeEllie
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
Yes. It's important for understanding the way the world works. In Chemistry, we also learnt about polluting gases and their effects, which is very relevant in our modern day.
InvisibleDuck
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
No. It should be available, but not compulsory.

Then again I think that about most subjects.
M4cc4n4
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Personally I think, all three sciences, math, English and History should be compulsory.
Arran90
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
What I find intriguing is the strong support for traditional science (even after factoring out human biology) and the lacklustre support for computer science at KS4 level.
M4cc4n4
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Arran90)
What I find intriguing is the strong support for traditional science (even after factoring out human biology) and the lacklustre support for computer science at KS4 level.
Mhm I forgot about that, but now even you are leaving out Domestic Science and Geography.
Cubone-r
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Should science be compulsory at KS4 / GCSE?

I can see good reason why human biology should be compulsory but can anybody justify why the rest of the course should be compulsory.
Pretty sure science is already compulsory at GCSE level, whether you take triple science, double science, or the BTEC Science - schools will place you on one of these courses when you come to your GCSEs.
Cubone-r
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by M4cc4n4)
Mhm I forgot about that, but now even you are leaving out Domestic Science and Geography.
Even psychology is considered a science - will we have to study all of the sciences?
username3236796
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Science should remain compulsory. Everyone should have a basic understanding of how they/the world works. KS3 doesn't teach enough of that.
sr90
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
I don't have a Science GCSE and it hasn't affected my life in any way, shape or form.

Studying it should be a choice.
_gcx
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
schools would still make it compulsory either way. imo science is an essential subject in the same sense as english and mathematics and therefore should remain compulsory
SlashaRussia
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
I think all three sciences should be compulsory at KS4, much like they are now, where you can simply chose to what level you want to study them.

I'm definitely bias here, since before KS4 I thought I would do history/archaeology later on, but science at KS4 is so different from KS3, and I fell in love with physics! If it wasn't compulsory, I wouldn't have even thought about it.
justiceserved
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
I think english language and maths should be compulsory till A Level. There are a lot of people who can't read or write properly and a lot of people who can't count.
Pidge Gunderson
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Compulsory imo, as some people may now be aware of the implications of not taking it until later. The three sciences are as essential as Mathematics and English, and there are many universities where a certain grade is required in a science subject.
lmaooome
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
It should, because for once it actually has explanations and some level of understanding involved on how the world works. Whereas, maths at KS4 hardly involves any explanations in contrast to A - level.
username2703735
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
I thought science was already compulsory at KS4! Absolutely it should
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How are you feeling about your results?

They're better than I expected (144)
40.45%