Lollynan
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
My grandson is going uni he will be in hall for the first year,does he still need a tv licence if his parents already have one
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Lollynan)
My grandson is going uni he will be in hall for the first year,does he still need a tv licence if his parents already have one
It's per household so yes he would need one of his accommodation doesn't cover it
Elizabeth II
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Lollynan)
Hello there!

The answer is... it depends, but probably yes. Have a read of this guide and see what situation applies to him: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/lif...-at-university

Best of luck to him!
hannah00
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
only if he plans on watching live tv or using bbc iplayer.

Also fyi, TV License people are not the police and cannot force entry into your room, you can just tell them your busy and they have to go away.
IWMTom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by hannah00)
only if he plans on watching live tv or using bbc iplayer.

Also fyi, TV License people are not the police and cannot force entry into your room, you can just tell them your busy and they have to go away.
Unless the device is powered by its own internal batteries rather than being connected to the mains; this is covered by a parents licence.
Sammylou40
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You don't have to respond to an "enforcement " officer at your door and do not have to let them in
If you fail to respond to their letters they can obtain a warrant from the court for access
They use various detectors to check if a tv is in use and you can be prosecuted.
Unlike other utilities this can be enforced and if it is you will have a criminal record. So far 50 persistent offenders have been jailed. Is it worth the hassle and do you need the aggravation?
It may not be fair but the law is the law. You can't pick and choose which laws you follow
If you need a license then buy one.
hannah00
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The TV license people(ie capita a FTSE 250 company) have no detector van that is just a myth, the will send scary looking letters addressed to 'the legal occupier' because they have no idea who actually lives there.

As most students move out after 9 months(at the end of the year) nothing ever happens. This is well documented on TSR people get letters throughout the 9 months and nothing happens. So called "investigations has been opened" and fake court summons (http://www.bbctvlicence.com/2016%20letters.htm a website full of these letters)

Not paying your TV license is a civil matter not criminal

Oddly enough, while refusing to pay the fine resulting from license fee dodging can see you doing a stretch in chokey, you won’t earn a criminal record.
This is because it's not a recordable offence. Non-recordable offences are typically for things like travelling on a train or tube without a ticket. Your fingerprints and DNA samples won't be taken and held on the police database for a non-recordable offence.
https://recombu.com/digital/article/...e-myths-busted

You only go to prison if you dont pay a fine the court decides, not for not having a license, important technical difference.

The TV License is just another stealth tax. Some might say its not morally legal to be forced to fund the bbc(and welsh language tv) just to access access information and news. I dont believe that but alot of people do.
Sammylou40
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by hannah00)
The TV license people(ie capita a FTSE 250 company) have no detector van that is just a myth, the will send scary looking letters addressed to 'the legal occupier' because they have no idea who actually lives there.

As most students move out after 9 months(at the end of the year) nothing ever happens. This is well documented on TSR people get letters throughout the 9 months and nothing happens. So called "investigations has been opened" and fake court summons (http://www.bbctvlicence.com/2016%20letters.htm a website full of these letters)

Not paying your TV license is a civil matter not criminal

https://recombu.com/digital/article/...e-myths-busted

You only go to prison if you dont pay a fine the court decides, not for not having a license, important technical difference.

The TV License is just another stealth tax. Some might say its not morally legal to be forced to fund the bbc(and welsh language tv) just to access access information and news. I dont believe that but alot of people do.
They don't use vans but do have detector equipment
Yes, prison is the last resort for non payment of fines but being taken to court for not having a license is criminal and not civil. There are campaigns to have it decriminalised but it hasn't changed yet. The only utility that is.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (150)
54.74%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (38)
13.87%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (31)
11.31%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (26)
9.49%
I haven't started researching yet (16)
5.84%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (13)
4.74%

Watched Threads