The Student Room Group

Are drugs a standard thing to see at any Universities halls?

Hi,

I ask this become I'm a fresher, and on a particular night out a flatmate and his friends were taking drugs, so i just felt a bit uneasy about it

Don't get me wrong im not a boring person by all means but it just caught me off guard at how normal they all seemed to be about it.

is it just a freshers thing? a big city thing? or is it quite common at all universities?

Scroll to see replies

not really common but is concerning. personally Id get evidenceand report them if they are harming themselves / others or dealing drugs or adversely affecting you in any way
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Cherub123
Hi,

I ask this become I'm a fresher, and on a particular night out a flatmate and his friends were taking drugs, so i just felt a bit uneasy about it

Don't get me wrong im not a boring person by all means but it just caught me off guard at how normal they all seemed to be about it.

is it just a freshers thing? a big city thing? or is it quite common at all universities?

Yes, it is very common for students to take drugs other than alcohol (especially during freshers week) across all universities.

I had a mate who took study drugs during his revision and before all of his final year exams - supposedly it made him super focused.
Original post by quasa
not really common but is concerning. personally Id get evidence (secretly film) and report them to your uni anonymously

It's quite common and I wouldn't do that because that's a really sh*tty thing to do to someone. It could potentially mess up the rest of their life in terms of their degree and future employment.
Just do you. Don't follow the crowd and yes, it is very normal. I hate drugs, absolutely despise them, but it will happen and you just need to keep doing you. If they ever try and push you to do it - that's a different thing altogether and you should get some new friends.
Original post by Cubone-r
It's quite common and I wouldn't do that because that's a really sh*tty thing to do to someone. It could potentially mess up the rest of their life in terms of their degree and future employment.

it may be common but it isnt nice and the harm of drugs can be worse than being kicked out of uni / suspended. during my freshers week, I had a guy high on coke break into my flat, I reported them to the accomodation people and the guy got hit with a fine. Most unis dont do **** except fines and it is only where they are serious harm to themselves and others they take action (e.g. smashing a wall whilst drunk). that individual got kicked out a pharmacy course but ended up taking a different degree at the same uni which didnt require a clean DBS / criminal history (which spoiler alert, is most degrees).

In terms of the effects of drugs, I have dealt with multiple methadone patients and they all agree that drugs have screwed them up. I know people I grew up with turn into prostitutes because of drugs and they have kids who are in year 7 now despite I myself being in my mid 20s. People with promising futures get it taken and its better people realise it sooner than later and turn their lives around
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by quasa
it may be common but it isnt nice and the harm of drugs can be worse than being kicked out of uni / suspended. during my freshers week, I had a guy high on coke break into my flat, I reported them to the accomodation people and the guy got hit with a fine. Most unis dont do **** except fines and it is only where they are serious harm to themselves and others they take action (e.g. smashing a wall whilst drunk). that individual got kicked out a pharmacy course but ended up taking a different degree at the same uni which didnt require a clean DBS / criminal history (which spoiler alert, is most degrees).

In terms of the effects of drugs, I have dealt with multiple methadone patients and they all agree that drugs have screwed them up. I know people I grew up with turn into prostitutes because of drugs and they have kids who are in year 7 now despite I myself being in my mid 20s. People with promising futures get it taken and its better people realise it sooner than later and turn their lives around

We clearly disagree on this matter, but personally I believe I have no business in what an individual chooses to put into their bodies. Sure the effect of (harder) drugs on some people is horrendous and can royally screw them up for life, but that was their choice. However, for the most part, I wouldn't bother secretly filming a student lighting up a joint and sending it to the university (which is what most people are taking or experimenting with at university).

Obviously if people want to take harder drugs, then that's on them and if they break further laws as a result of taking it (i.e. stealing, violence, etc) then the police and the law will deal with them.

Maybe they should think twice before doing coke in our kitchen then. I wouldn't report either but i can see why others would tbh

Not to mention if they get caught (and inevitably don't own up) then everyone gets in trouble.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by quasa

I think their point is more that there's a fundamental difference between kinds of users. I despise drugs, I really do, and I'd want to report it like you - but I think the point is that there's people who can take things, have an experience, stay in-control and not feel dependent or attached to the substances. And, there's then others who do it and it sends them passed the point of being able to wilfully stop. I mean, there's also a difference between substances - like, ecstasy or dope is different from methadone, cocaine, heroin, etc.etc.etc.

Having said that, I suppose you yourself can't tell what type that person is so you feel reporting is in their best interests long term.
All the time
Drop me a pm and ill hook you up with some paracetamol
Original post by ivybridges
I think their point is more that there's a fundamental difference between kinds of users. I despise drugs, I really do, and I'd want to report it like you - but I think the point is that there's people who can take things, have an experience, stay in-control and not feel dependent or attached to the substances. And, there's then others who do it and it sends them passed the point of being able to wilfully stop. I mean, there's also a difference between substances - like, ecstasy or dope is different from methadone, cocaine, heroin, etc.etc.etc.

Having said that, I suppose you yourself can't tell what type that person is so you feel reporting is in their best interests long term.

You could have been describing alcohol there - but that isn't illegal. Interesting is it not?
Original post by lucabrasi98
Maybe they should think twice before doing coke in our kitchen then. I wouldn't report either but i can see why others would tbh

Not to mention if they get caught (and inevitably don't own up) then everyone gets in trouble.

Yes, of course if they are doing it in a communal area then that is different and should be reported to someone. However, if students are taking drugs in the privacy of their room/flat then that's fine, imo (even though it probably breaks their contract). :laugh:
We clearly disagree on this matter, but personally I believe I have no business in what an individual chooses to put into their bodies. Sure the effect of (harder) drugs on some people is horrendous and can royally screw them up for life, but that was their choice. However, for the most part, I wouldn't bother secretly filming a student lighting up a joint and sending it to the university (which is what most people are taking or experimenting with at university).

Obviously if people want to take harder drugs, then that's on them and if they break further laws as a result of taking it (i.e. stealing, violence, etc) then the police and the law will deal with them.

It is their choice, I agree. But aren't you kind of actively encouraging damaging behaviour by being a bystander and watching it happen?

It's like if you see somebody royally abusing another person verbally and you don't intervene, you're almost condoning the damage that does...
You could have been describing alcohol there - but that isn't illegal. Interesting is it not?

I don't really see the two as equatable. Taking a single pill can send you right off of the rails; having a beer doesn't.
It is their choice, I agree. But aren't you kind of actively encouraging damaging behaviour by being a bystander and watching it happen?

It's like if you see somebody royally abusing another person verbally and you don't intervene, you're almost condoning the damage that does...

That's slightly different as something negative is happening to another person without their consent.

With a drug user, they are consensually put substances into their body which is only affecting them. However, if they go onto to cause violence or break the law etc, that's when the police and the law intervene as damage is now happening to another person.
I don't really see the two as equatable. Taking a single pill can send you right off of the rails; having a beer doesn't.

Despite this, alcohol is still the drug that causes the most damage/harm in Britain - more harmful than heroin and crack cocaine.
https://www.economist.com/blogs/dailychart/2010/11/drugs_cause_most_harm
Despite this, alcohol is still the drug that causes the most damage/harm in Britain - more harmful than heroin and crack cocaine.
https://www.economist.com/blogs/dailychart/2010/11/drugs_cause_most_harm

In numbers, not really in substance and that's because we have an atrocious alcohol culture in this country.
Yes it's common, in some halls more than others, but yes, loads. Leave them to it, it's not harming anyone.
Reply 18
Everything you've been taught about drugs is a lie. Everyone does them and no they're not just for chavy people in council estates, more often than not it's your silver spooned Russel group undergraduates at the likes of Leeds, Newcastle, Manchester etc who do coke and MDMA several times a month.

Get used to it, they're the norm in numerous times of offices and even among the people who run the country. Never forget, David Cameron had relations with a pig while high on coke.

If they're not to your tastes steer clear but don't snitch unless you have major reason to
unless its posing a risk to yourself. my daughter has a very heavy cannabis smoker in her house it affected her asthma she asked him repeatedly to not do it near her or her room. she had to put up with that for a year. me i would have reported it. dont overreact but dont get involved. your there to study some will become addicted. using speed to study is a very old trick. however proper planning and studying gets better results.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending