The Student Room Group

Are drugs a standard thing to see at any Universities halls?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by quasa
it may be common but it isnt nice and the harm of drugs can be worse than being kicked out of uni / suspended. during my freshers week, I had a guy high on coke break into my flat, I reported them to the accomodation people and the guy got hit with a fine. Most unis dont do **** except fines and it is only where they are serious harm to themselves and others they take action (e.g. smashing a wall whilst drunk). that individual got kicked out a pharmacy course but ended up taking a different degree at the same uni which didnt require a clean DBS / criminal history (which spoiler alert, is most degrees).

In terms of the effects of drugs, I have dealt with multiple methadone patients and they all agree that drugs have screwed them up. I know people I grew up with turn into prostitutes because of drugs and they have kids who are in year 7 now despite I myself being in my mid 20s. People with promising futures get it taken and its better people realise it sooner than later and turn their lives around

I would report someone for breaking into my flat, but not just because they were taking drugs. If someone isn't affecting you, then it's absolutely none of your business what they're putting into their body. They may develop an addiction or stop taking drugs after uni. Either way, getting them kicked out of uni is more likely to harm than help them (to say the least). It would ruin their future and they would probably continue to take drugs anyway.

In reality, you would be reporting them to satisfy your needs. Don't pretend it would be a selfless and altruistic act please. The hypocrisy is sickening.
Reply 21
Certain drugs are illegal and if you see people using those drugs, especially in university halls, you should inform the police. Drugs are extremely harmful and just because other people are using doesn't mean you should, it's your health and your future you are putting at risk. University is going to be full of temptations, don't fall for them
Original post by Cubone-r
Despite this, alcohol is still the drug that causes the most damage/harm in Britain - more harmful than heroin and crack cocaine.
https://www.economist.com/blogs/dailychart/2010/11/drugs_cause_most_harm

It depends what metric you base it on.In terms of personal harm to the user,crack cocaine and heroin are still given a bigger score than alcohol.
But when you add effects on society and the fact people underestimate the harmful effects alcohol can bring,yeah it is definitely number one.
Reply 23
Original post by quasa
not really common but is concerning. personally Id get evidence (secretly film) and report them to your uni anonymously

Whoa...I bet you are a ton of fun at parties. What ever happened to live and let live?
Original post by bobby147
It depends what metric you base it on.In terms of personal harm to the user,crack cocaine and heroin are still given a bigger score than alcohol.
But when you add effects on society and the fact people underestimate the harmful effects alcohol can bring,yeah it is definitely number one.

Great point - but in response I would argue that damage to others and wider society is more important as users doing harm to themselves and doing it through their own free will. Someone who gets mugged/beaten/or even killed by a drunk thug had no choice in the matter or a business owner who gets his shop trashed and looted by drunk individuals; I would argue this is of a much higher cost to society than the high personal damage of using drugs such as heroin and cocaine, which are (for the most part) willingly used.
(edited 6 years ago)
If they're not bothering you then leave them to it.
Don't be a nark, like some people on this thread
Reply 26
From the sounds of things i guess it all depends on who you know and where you study. There's always been a prevalent drug culture everywhere i've been. I wouldn't be too worried about it. It's your room mates responsibility to be respectful of the people they live with. If it makes you uncomfortable it's not unreasonable tell the people you're living with and try and set up some compromises. I wouldn't feel compelled to try anything either. When i was in halls everybody there was fine with it and people would come in and out blatantly wrecked and it was all in good fun. Just don't let people take the piss, it's your house too
Reply 27
Original post by ivybridges
Just do you. Don't follow the crowd and yes, it is very normal. I hate drugs, absolutely despise them, but it will happen and you just need to keep doing you. If they ever try and push you to do it - that's a different thing altogether and you should get some new friends.

Just curious, what about them makes you hate them so strongly?
Yes, it does occur in halls. You have a lot of drinking, smoking tobacco and smoking cannabis at the minimum. People who never really drank start drinking and people who never touched a cigarette start social smoking. Then you get some people taking hard drugs. What you will find is that student union nights out are notorious for drug dealers, a lot of Class A and Class B drugs are sold on student union nights out.

It is the hedonistic culture of the youth of this country which is the problem.
It's quite common and I wouldn't do that because that's a really sh*tty thing to do to someone. It could potentially mess up the rest of their life in terms of their degree and future employment.

Not really, part of life is adhering to rules and they knew what universities' drug policies are coming into them.
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
Not really, part of life is adhering to rules and they knew what universities' drug policies are coming into them.

But as the old adage goes, rules are meant to be broken. :wink:
Original post by maxafin
Just curious, what about them makes you hate them so strongly?

Just personal experiences. I'm not really a fan of the idea of why people take them, nor am I fan of the substances themselves. I'm not really a fan of alcohol or cigarettes either, to be honest. Just me!
Great point - but in response I would argue that damage to others and wider society is more important as users doing harm to themselves and doing it through their own free will. Someone who gets mugged/beaten/or even killed by a drunk thug had no choice in the matter or a business owner who gets his shop trashed and looted by drunk individuals; I would argue this is of a much higher cost to society than the high personal damage of using drugs such as heroin and cocaine, which are (for the most part) willingly used.

I agree,so your overall conclusion that alcohol is the most harmful drug is still correct imo.
Reply 33
Just personal experiences. I'm not really a fan of the idea of why people take them, nor am I fan of the substances themselves. I'm not really a fan of alcohol or cigarettes either, to be honest. Just me!

I get that, There can be a lot of damage done with them. Often people go from being taught they are the most dangerous thing in the world to thinking they are harmless and can just be done all the time. I don't take anything anymore but i think there are a lot of amazing experiences out there for people who are willing to put in the time, research and self control. Definitely not for everyone though. What would you say the reason people take them is? Just to be clear i've no stake in this really. Just find it interesting to hear a different point of view :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Cherub123
Hi,

I ask this become I'm a fresher, and on a particular night out a flatmate and his friends were taking drugs, so i just felt a bit uneasy about it

Don't get me wrong im not a boring person by all means but it just caught me off guard at how normal they all seemed to be about it.

is it just a freshers thing? a big city thing? or is it quite common at all universities?

Threads a bit old now, but imo they are not. It will vary from uni to uni and I imagine you can find them if thats your wish, but theres no need for them to ever cross your path. Maybe cannabis, but if you have a problem with people and drugs then point out youd prefer they kept it to their own room and if they annoy enough just report them.
Original post by quasa
not really common but is concerning. personally Id get evidence (secretly film) and report them to your uni anonymously

you damn snake.
Original post by maxafin
I get that, There can be a lot of damage done with them. Often people go from being taught they are the most dangerous thing in the world to thinking they are harmless and can just be done all the time. I don't take anything anymore but i think there are a lot of amazing experiences out there for people who are willing to put in the time, research and self control. Definitely not for everyone though. What would you say the reason people take them is? Just to be clear i've no stake in this really. Just find it interesting to hear a different point of view :smile:

I think there's a great many reasons behind people's inclinations around different substances:

Following the crowd;

Sometimes it can be part and parcel of the life an individual was born into - had it engrained, born addicted, had family doing it 24/7, etc.etc.;

Genuine interest in the experiences or medicinal properties of certain substances.

There's probably tonnes more reasons but they come to mind when I think about it. Sometimes people just like the feeling of not being accountable, loosing control as it were. See, I'd hate to feel that so I'm just naturally at odds with the concept of taking stuff.
Reply 37
I think there's a great many reasons behind people's inclinations around different substances:

Following the crowd;

Sometimes it can be part and parcel of the life an individual was born into - had it engrained, born addicted, had family doing it 24/7, etc.etc.;

Genuine interest in the experiences or medicinal properties of certain substances.

There's probably tonnes more reasons but they come to mind when I think about it. Sometimes people just like the feeling of not being accountable, loosing control as it were. See, I'd hate to feel that so I'm just naturally at odds with the concept of taking stuff.

For sure, I think a lot of people forget that a lack of control is often times not necessarily a good thing. I've seen people wandering into public places like mcdonald's completely out of it. To me that's the point where you can't claim you're not hurting anybody else. Especially with psychedelic substances. I've never understood the connection between going into town and taking drugs. having had my fair share of experience i'd really rather not have anyone that's not an incredibly close friend and in the same headspace see me acting the fool. But i think you're pretty much spot on with a lot of the reasons you've mentioned. They can be a real struggle for people. I'm obviously talking about stronger substances. Things like cannabis the reasoning for people tends to not go further than just liking to relax and be stoned. I think people who think they can not be accountable because they took something are incredible misguided. A decision was made to take what they did and a decision was made to not do it somewhere private.
Original post by quasa

Wasteman
Yes, it is very common for students to take drugs other than alcohol (especially during freshers week) across all universities.

I had a mate who took study drugs during his revision and before all of his final year exams - supposedly it made him super focused.

Would a person with ADHD be a target for a source.

Quick Reply

Latest