The Student Room Group

Is there really anything more we should do to prevent terrorism?

Scroll to see replies

One thing we really ought to do is to learn from the past and follow the same reasoning that made us censor any feedback that might help the enemy in the Wars, something that nobody seems to understand these days. It's incredible how common sense has departed and been replaced by a world made up of superficial thinking, even at times like these.

We shouldn't have the media chasing people to tell us how scared they were or we are made to feel, it makes the enemy happy and only goes on to encourage it further. The press were prohibited to say anything about the damage caused by the Luftwaffe, the last thing you do is confess the enemy has hurt you. We shouldn't even talk about it among ourselves.
Reply 81
While there are some who break the rules, the majority don't drink.

Also, not all Asians are Muslims.
Original post by mariachi
true

not to mention that there were 525,048 deaths registered in England and Wales in 2016 due to the heart stopping beating

a death is a death after all, right ?

best

Heart disease/definction is essentially classed as "unavoidable", its simply the body shutting down. Terrorism, alcohol, smoking, car accedents, homicides are all considered in the "avoidable" catagory of pre-mature death by the Federal Bureau of Statistics.
Reply 83
I don't know how you can just assume and generalize things lol. I'm Asian, and have never, ever witnessed imams preaching extremism. I've been to 10+ mosques.
Original post by Iridocyclitis
Why does that (bold) have to be the test? It wouldn't need to be that low a threshold.

Because that's all most of the previously mentioned "terrorism watchlist" of ~23,000 have done to warrant being on it.

To summarise, there are two lists - one of 3,000 people who are deemed real potential risks, usually through existing links to extremist groups who are tracked and monitored rigorously. The police already do periodically arrest and detain these people for a short period of time without charge (usually at times when they suspect an attack may be likely), so there's no real need to bring in a policy of doing so.

Then there's a list of about 20,000 people who have at some point in recent years been suspected of links to terrorist or extremist groups and monitored accordingly. Doubtlessly some will have been on or close to the first list at some point, but there will also be plenty for whom police suspicions never led to anything serious and have done nothing wrong.
Reply 85
Stop military action in Muslim countries. Stop crying when the west attacked first
Original post by zezno
Stop
Invading
Muslim
Countries.

If all the worlds muslims are as ignorant and ill-informed as the above, then i doubt terrorsim will ever end. but then its our job to challenge ignorance wherever it arises -

So on that basis - what muslim countires are we currently invading , apart from iraq about 10 years ago, which we have effectviley left, amd the tiny prescence uk has in afganistan- at request of their own government?

and then what invasions have there been from other european countries that deal with islamic terrorism

When muslims ask themselves these questions -perhaps they can stop and think about whats really going on in the islamic world
Original post by Reformed
what direct US bombing?
so now you seem to switch your justiifcations from 'US military interventions' to 'US support for israel'.
probably a more honest an admission, seeing as most muslims still have the worlds biggest chip in their shoulder as to this - but then there are plenty of nations around the world that support israles right to exist, as well as sell arms and do business with israel. Ultimatley the US will have strategic relationships with various countries round the world regardless of the national religion ( saudi arabia for example). Al queda was not, (even back in 1998) the worlds only islamist terrorist group, so once again your regurgitating of bin ladens personal diatribe doesnt speak for all islamists- in fact we know he made many enemies within global islamist circles even within the sunni side.

true , idid switch back to current day but only to show same principle still applies - what 2017 wars are belgium, spain, germany even the UK to any great extent) currently involved in to trigger islamist activity.

islamism is nothing to do with the foreign policy of the west- it is a clash of ideas which is loudly in opposition to all things the west
( and i would suggest the non muslim east also) its culture and ethos stand for. hence why islamist terrorists will continue to be churned out irrespective of our foreign policy - that is a red herring. jihadis are in general societies dead-end dimwits with no real understanding of the geo-political landscape or its history. they swallow what they are fed, and all they need to be fed to be mujahdeen is the dogma that mohammeds plan for humankind is superior to all others - and those that dont agree are fair game in islamic holy war.

No, I cited US military interventions in Somalia and Lebanon as well as US sponsoring of Israel's wars, which is war by proxy. I don't see what AQ having rivalries with other Islamist groups has to do with the cause of 9/11. They could dislike US for the same reason, i.e. for its hubris, while sparring amongst themselves for pre-eminence.

Your post is generally confused and I am not sure what your argument is any more. It is clear this is getting us nowhere.
Reply 88
Original post by Chakede
If all the worlds muslims are as ignorant and ill-informed as the above, then i doubt terrorsim will ever end. but then its our job to challenge ignorance wherever it arises -

So on that basis - what muslim countires are we currently invading , apart from iraq about 10 years ago, which we have effectviley left, amd the tiny prescence uk has in afganistan- at request of their own government?

and then what invasions have there been from other european countries that deal with islamic terrorism

When muslims ask themselves these questions -perhaps they can stop and think about whats really going on in the islamic world

If thick people like above have no idea about the involvement of the west in Islamic countries, what chance do we have?

Let's talk about who helped ISIS rise into power? Yes, the west.

Who killed over 500,000 Iraqi civilians? Yes, the west.

Who's bombing children in Syria frequently? Yes, the west.

Kill innocent civilians -> they think you're against them -> they join ISIS for revenge

Honestly you're an embarrassment
Reply 89
Lol what nonsense. Talking about scratch cards and gambling or whatever lmfao
Original post by HabibSyed
Heart disease/definction is essentially classed as "unavoidable", its simply the body shutting down. Terrorism, alcohol, smoking, car accedents, homicides are all considered in the "avoidable" catagory of pre-mature death by the Federal Bureau of Statistics.
terrorism is most surely avoidable : by arresting terrorists

best
Original post by zezno
Stop military action in Muslim countries. Stop crying when the west attacked first

Where are you defining this first attack?
Original post by zezno
If thick people like above have no idea about the involvement of the west in Islamic countries, what chance do we have?

Let's talk about who helped ISIS rise into power? Yes, the west.

Who killed over 500,000 Iraqi civilians? Yes, the west.

Who's bombing children in Syria frequently? Yes, the west.

Kill innocent civilians -> they think you're against them -> they join ISIS for revenge

Honestly you're an embarrassment

no the embarrassment here is that there people of your iq level in the uk that one day will be allowed to vote.

ISIS were formed round remnants of saddams ousted baathist party- since then they have recruited form the world islamic population globally.
ISIS have killed millions, saudi are killing hundred of thousands now in yemen ( funny your were silent about this) iran vs iraq war killed millions, saddam killed thousands of his own people, as has assad. there are hundreds of islamist groups world wide not just ISIS. the typically world- ignorant bunch of which youre a part dont know any of the facts beyond what they read on facebook.
The west policy is not whiter than white ( see funding of pakistan and their camps in the 90s, and arming of saudis campaigns in yemen today) doesnt mean that there still isnt a global problem with scummy islamic groups and their terrosit activity and recruitment
Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.
No, I cited US military interventions in Somalia and Lebanon as well as US sponsoring of Israel's wars, which is war by proxy. I don't see what AQ having rivalries with other Islamist groups has to do with the cause of 9/11. They could dislike US for the same reason, i.e. for its hubris, while sparring amongst themselves for pre-eminence.

Your post is generally confused and I am not sure what your argument is any more. It is clear this is getting us nowhere.

again i repeat, somalia incursions was tiny by comparison and over 20 years ago- what somalis are currently wreaking revenge on usa ?

what us military activity are you talking about in lebanon in recent times?

my point re AQ was Bin landens personal grudge with usa which follwoed on with his personal grudge with saudi- it was not the mujahdeen or talebans and bin ladne and mullah omar fell out over this as well as the rest of his politics.

many places in the world hold a distain for usa -m ost of the communist world, parts of asia, south america etc - but they dont promote terrorism. that is specificaly reserved to the islamic world. their problem is deep rooted in cultural and values and indeed their conflating of politcal ambitions with islamic dogma
Original post by Reformed
again i repeat, somalia incursions was tiny by comparison and over 20 years ago- what somalis are currently wreaking revenge on usa ?

what us military activity are you talking about in lebanon in recent times?

my point re AQ was Bin landens personal grudge with usa which follwoed on with his personal grudge with saudi- it was not the mujahdeen or talebans and bin ladne and mullah omar fell out over this as well as the rest of his politics.

many places in the world hold a distain for usa -m ost of the communist world, parts of asia, south america etc - but they dont promote terrorism. that is specificaly reserved to the islamic world. their problem is deep rooted in cultural and values and indeed their conflating of politcal ambitions with islamic dogma

I have already explained that my immediate response was about the current terrorist threat, not the previous one. I don't know why you're asking questions such as what Somalians are bombing us now. Are you incapable of grasping that or should I repeat it again?

Muslim countries which are attacked by us are the ones which typically are belligerent towards us. Of course the combination of Islam + our attacks = terrorism, but we aren't in control of the first part of the sum. We are only in control of our own actions. Therefore, to answer the question, what can we do to stop terrorism, we can stop attacking Muslim countries.
I'm so sick and tired of this "they bomb us because of western military intervention" narrative, and how "they'll leave us alone if we give in to them and stop bombing them" is being touted as the solution.

Islamist terrorists attack us because we are not Islamic countries. They hate us because we're socially liberal, democratic, with free speech, and we don't place great importance on religion. That's the root of it. That's not just me sensationalising anything - they themselves even publicly and clearly state so in their propaganda releases that the only thing that would stop attacks is us submitting to their form of Islamic rule.

Military intervention by western countries may well motivate one or two people, but the religious motivation is by far the biggest one, and leaving groups like ISIS alone just lets them grow stronger. ISIS are not going to disband and call off all their terrorism activities if western countries stop bombing them, they'd just use it as an opportunity to grow stronger and plan more attacks.
Original post by RivalPlayer
The Islamic terror threat is here to stay and it'll only get worse.
not really : things come and go, everything is in a flow and you cannot bathe twice in the same river

Islamic terrorism is part of a particular historical situation : the weakening of US hegemony, the failure of Arab nationalism, oil money flowing freely, revenge for the colonial past etc etc

In due time Islam will disappear also - and we will have new brands of terrorists

best
Maybe just stop being so scared of being accused of being a racist and actually do something drastic to make a difference. I see so much of people treading on egg shells that it almost seems like they're backing up the terrorists.

Maybe muslims should stop being muslims when they know that their religion is causing so much disruption, you can say it's not the religion all you like, but we all know deep down that it is. No good has ever come of religion, terrorism is a plain example. What is it they say?? "Doing this for allah" every time they decide to set off another bomb, yet people are STILL saying it's not about religion and defending the Muslim culture.
lol the islamophobia on this thread is unreal
how about we talk about terrorist acts committed by non Muslims no ? Or do you guys wanna pretend like that doesn't happen?
Original post by scienceq
lol the islamophobia on this thread is unreal
how about we talk about terrorist acts committed by non Muslims no ? Or do you guys wanna pretend like that doesn't happen?

White people can be converted and brainwashed into muslims too, as I just said in my last post.. I blame the religion.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending