The Student Room Group

How many GCSEs does the usual Oxbridge applicant carry?

I'm writing 8 and 100% sure I can manage As or A*s in all of them. There's one subject I have no interest in writing though and I was wondering if carrying only 7As on my GCSEs would give me less of an edge with Oxbridge?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by geocentriic
I'm writing 8 and 100% sure I can manage As or A*s in all of them. There's one subject I have no interest in writing though and I was wondering if carrying only 7As on my GCSEs would give me less of an edge with Oxbridge?

0, as I imagine 28 A* certificates would get heavy carrying them around everywhere.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Cubone-r
0, as I imagine carrying around 28 A* certificates would get heavy carrying them around everywhere.

That was really helpful thanks!

You'll be fine.
There are a million threads on this.

Don't worry I've done the work for you.

Average number of A*s at GCSEs: 25
:redface:

EDIT: Just try your hardest and you never know what will happen :smile:

Good luck
(edited 6 years ago)

You'll be fine.
Original post by Ze Witcher
You'll be fine.

Original post by DreamlinerFinder
You'll be fine.

I'm not trying to be fine I'm trying to get a sure lock on them locking me. ????
I'm not trying to be fine I'm trying to get a sure lock on them locking me. ????

Sorry, what do you mean
Sorry, what do you mean

you said I'd be fine, but I need more than just a "fine" I want to be sure what I do is in my best interest in looking like a strong candidate
you said I'd be fine, but I need more than just a "fine" I want to be sure what I do is in my best interest in looking like a strong candidate

Ace A-level, pre-interview assessment ( if applicable) , Ace GCSE and finally the interview.
GCSEs aren't the only things that secure your place at unis.
Just try your hardest and the rewards will come reaping.
Ace A-level, pre-interview assessment ( if applicable) , Ace GCSE and finally the interview.

but WHY do Oxbridge applicants have like 12 GCSEs what are these people even doing omg i don't even know that many subjects ajkwkksi I'm trying to relax anxiously just with my 8 and these people are making me look bad
I think the minimum is 100 A*, if you want to secure it you'll need 200A*, Any A grades just don't go down well
What's the average for your school?
It's usual for some to have 12 GCSE's, but they will judge people like you differently, but as long as you have the requirements, they will look at you for admission. Ps, ignore most of those posters with 12, they are only posting here to swank.

we're international so we have limited subjects a total of 11 offered but they split us into science and commercial/arts courses so 9 is the possible max and from there people just drop **** left and right and the usual is 5/6
we're international so we have limited subjects a total of 11 offered but they split us into science and commercial/arts courses so 9 is the possible max and from there people just drop **** left and right and the usual is 5/6

Ok, so if 9 is the max and 5-6 is the average, I'd reccomend that it is stated in your reference, so Oxford/Cambridge and all your other choices understand, because in the UK 5 is the minimum to do anything, and 9-12 is average ( I did 9).
I have 12 GCSEs, which was very much the norm in my school, HOWEVER I got 7A*s, which gives me a low proportion of A* compared to how many GCSEs I did.

As far as I can tell, getting a high proportion of A* is more important than a high number of GCSEs, so if you can get straight A*s you're application will be much stronger than getting a bunch of Bs and Cs aswell.
Ok, so if 9 is the max and 5-6 is the average, I'd reccomend that it is stated in your reference, so Oxford/Cambridge and all your other choices understand, because in the UK 5 is the minimum to do anything, and 9-12 is average ( I did 9).

You've convinced me to write 9 thanks. I don't like making excuses for myself. "Sorrz Oxbridge our average is your minimum so when you think about it I actually did just slightly below your average hehe admit me'
You've convinced me to write 9 thanks. I don't like making excuses for myself. "Sorrz Oxbridge our average is your minimum so when you think about it I actually did just slightly below your average hehe admit me'

That's ace!, but as I've said, it might be worth mentioning it in the reference, but ask your teachers to put it in the reference.
why are you saying that you twat😢

Don't you know what sarcasm is?
Original post by coconut orgasm
Don't you know what sarcasm is?

Don't you?😈

Quick Reply

Latest