The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
janon
There is very little racism against ethnics these days, apart from the positive discrimination that they so blatantly receive. Stop moaning about how racist things are, because it only increases the positive discrimination and raises the ridiculous level that political correctness has reached.
i don't care whether someone is black or white or bright bloody purple, just stop going on about it.

I couldn't agree more. In my experience, the vast majority of people care very little about the colour of someone's skin or how their name sounds. when judging them as a job candidate/student/person.

I'm still surprised at how people can be sucked in by the discrimination argument though...it's not to do with race, but my friend (who has four As at A-level) recently said to me: "well, apparently, Bristol rejects ANYONE with straight A predictions and a double-barrelled name straight out! Seriously!"
Reply 21
sarah101
I couldn't agree more. In my experience, the vast majority of people care very little about the colour of someone's skin or how their name sounds.

The following study concluded that people do discriminate against people with "foreign" sounding names. http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcthree/news/7oclocknews/features/racism_090704.shtml
Dajo123
The following study concluded that people do discriminate against people with "foreign" sounding names. http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcthree/news/7oclocknews/features/racism_090704.shtml

Are these people who do discriminate in the majority?
Reply 23
Dajo123

That's really interesting. I wouldn't have predicted that at all. The only problem with a survey like that is you would have to give everyone EXACTLY the same qualifications and experience, written in EXACTLY the same way, and the same ages, and the same address, for it to be truly accurate, and then obviously the companies would know something was up! From that report though, it sounds like the result would have been pretty much the same. I'm really quite shocked.
mobb_theprequel
Good point, I hadn't thought about this. On a similar note, there was a feature article in the press a few months ago, about people getting their cousins to sit the 11+ exam! (So it does, and probably would, happen). Some people are just cheeky to the extreme.

Exactly, I'd get my smart cousin who looked as chinese as I do to go do my interview for me. Besides...academics don't discriminate as much as the world of work does.
Reply 25
i agree with most replies to this thread. for a start, positive and negative discrimination are both wrong in my eyes, but as far as UCAS applications go, i dont think there is much going on. plus, as has been pointed out a good few times, they will find out your true ethnic identity sooner or later, be it at interview or when you start, and if they have offered candidate number 53897 a place, and that person then turns up to registration and turns out to be black/white/asian/whatever the "racist" is against, they can hardly withdraw that person's place can they? and while i doubt that there are many about, but would you really want to do a course where the staff are racist anyway? so in the tiny number of cases where this might happen, you are probably better off out of it anyway. anyone who blames ther rejection on racism, on the basis that their name is shah/lopez/smith whatever, or because they are of the wrong gender, or from the wrong part of the country...is the same as that girl who got rejected by oxford a couple of years ago and then went whinging on the news saying that it was because she was from a comp. they are just bitter and have a bruised ego. grow up.
Reply 26
DavioSenBoo
Yeah, it's chalkboard now

But whiteboards are still whiteboards. Racists!

<sarcasm>
Reply 27
Even if there are some admissions tutors that have racism pent up inside of them, what can we do?

they cant be found out, its not like they stamp the ucas forms ''BLACK'' ''WHITE'' ''BROWN''.

you can accuse them, and they will deny it.
Reply 28
princess

In my opinion despite showing that they regard promoting ethnic minortites as very important there is still alot of racism faced by the ethinc minority students who apply to top universities, like oxbridge, meaning the students with equal if not more potential do not go in because of that discrmination big time.

Well, that's just an opinion. Can you back it? On my last walk around Cambridge on a graduation day a few years ago I was astounded at how many ethnic minotity students were receiving awards; it certainly didn't look like much of a waspish center for racism to me.
Why would Oxbridge be racist? They get lots of money from international students and since they're underfunded it's best not to deter these students away. I was told the problem is more associated with class than anything.
Having universities only know you using a number and not a name would make sending out information via the post a little tricky - it would all have to be sent via UCAS adding on an extra weeks delay and a large administrative cost.

Would you want the number only ID to carry on through results day and clearing? To be fair you would have to but then as clearing is generally done almost entirely unofficially over the phone and direct between uni and applicant (with UCAS getting involved a week or so after results day) it would be difficult to enforce.

The ethnicity/social class/income etc information provided on your UCAS form isn't passed on to universities until the November after results day (ie often more than a year after your UCAS form is sent off). Disability information is passed on but only the code and no details, universities have to contact applicants directly to try to determine if they're able to meet an applicants access requirements.

When decisions are made about who gets a place and who doesn't admissions tutors have your name and address, exam results, work history, personal statement, predicted grades, school details (address and centre number only - they can look up past school performance on the dfes or bbc websites if they want to as it's publically available information) and reference.
chats
they cant be found out, its not like they stamp the ucas forms ''BLACK'' ''WHITE'' ''BROWN''.

you can accuse them, and they will deny it.

They can be found out. Universities have internal assessments looking at the numbers/proportions of applicants from different ethnic background, how many of those students are made offers and how many accept those offers - they also have statistics on the national average for these measures for each subject.

And anomaly thrown up by these checks is audited with the admissions tutors concerned having to show their criteria for determining which applicants recieve offers. If their criteria are found not to be robust and fair or if they are found not to have followed their criteria for any particular students then they're likely to be taken away from the admissions process completely (although usually not fired - admissions tutors are academics who carry out their admissions role on top of their research and teaching duties, they tend to take it in turns to do the job for a year or so which makes it easy to rotate the role on to someone else, unless someone is found to be in breach of their employment contract then they're unlikely to be fired).

Latest

Trending

Trending