How should I dilute an oil into different concentrations (for AH Bio project)

Watch this thread
ameliaheather
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
For my Biology Investigation (at Advanced Higher) I'm studying the effects of different home remedies on the growth of yeast, but two of the home remedies I've picked are tea tree oil and coconut oil, and I need to make them up in different concentrations, so I was wondering if anyone knows the best way to do that?

I had thought that I could use vegetable oil to dilute them (although that isn't what I'd be using to dilute the other home remedies - so I would have to set up a control using both vegetable oil and distilled water), but the vegetable oil might also affect the yeast; or I could use some stabilizing agents (or emulsifiers?), and shake the oil and water until it becomes an emulsion; or i could remove all of the dissolved gasses from the water and then mixing with the oil, as it has been shown that this apparently works (but this would be far too time consuming and difficult to use so I don't think I'd use this one).

So I am unsure what route to take. What does anyone suggest? What might be the easiest? And is there any other way I might be able to dilute the oil into different concentrations? And are any of these ideas easier than what I have suggested above?

Thanks for any help you might be able to give
bulgylau
Badges: 21
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
best thing is serial dilution I'd say

instead of diluting in water, instead pick an un-reactive solvent.
ameliaheather
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by homeland.lsw)
best thing is serial dilution I'd say

instead of diluting in water, instead pick an un-reactive solvent.
Thanks very much, I'll try that for my pilot study on Monday.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (106)
68.39%
No (32)
20.65%
I didn't use it to prepare (17)
10.97%

Watched Threads