The Student Room Group

How strong am I as an Oxford candidate, based on my IB score?

Currently, my IB predicted score is

776 at HL
765 at SL
41 Total

I have one HL science (physics which I'm at a 6) and getting 7 in SL math right now, if the admission wants to look at "rigorous" subjects.

I am applying for psychology (Experimental).

I know that I am eligible to apply, but in the pool of potential candidates, how do my grades fare against other IB students applying for psychology? I am also from overseas which makes this harder.

I am not bad at writing, and I think I did decently well at conveying interest in my personal statement.

Combining all of this, do I need to perform outstandingly well in Thinking Skills Assessment, and the interview (if I get there) for offer?
Reply 1
The IB entry requirement is 39 so you're fine there, but there will be plenty of other candidates with IB predictions at the same level and higher. You will need to perform at least well in the TSA to get an interview, and you will need to perform very well at interview to get offered a place.

I'm not sure whether that will sound disappointing to you or not, but it shouldn't. It's just another way of saying that (i) your IB prediction, although very good, will not be remarkable as compared to the other candidates, and (i) Oxford takes into account plenty other than your IB prediction.

Quick Reply