Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Idk
Relentas
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
[QUOTEx[/QUOTE]

expand? like what kind of mental health problems?
-Eirlys-
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I wonder this sometimes. Everyone has mental health, but I think there are those without any conditions, just like there are physically healthy people! Just look on a Facebook post about mental health; you'll find people commenting who don't believe in it and have no sympathy for people who suffer with them - I'd say those are people who have not experienced mental health conditions... yet.
Cubone-r
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by basicallyshrek)
Idk
What do you mean? Sure, plenty of people exist who haven't had a formal diagnosis of a mental health disorder. However, what are we talking about here? Mental health problems or disorders?

Sure, everyone has problems with their mental health now and again - we all get low and feel sad from time to time and sometimes we are too hard on ourselves and criticise our own work far too much. However, not everyone will suffer from a formally diagnosed mental health disorder such as depression, GAD, or schizophrenia.
basicallyshrek
Rep:
?
(Original post by Cubone-r)
What do you mean? Sure, plenty of people exist who haven't had a formal diagnosis of a mental health disorder. However, what are we talking about here? Mental health problems or disorders?

Sure, everyone has problems with their mental health now and again - we all get low and feel sad from time to time and sometimes we are too hard on ourselves and criticise our own work far too much. However, not everyone will suffer from a formally diagnosed mental health disorder such as depression, GAD, or schizophrenia.
I mean like are there people who don't suffer from a mental illness or a personality disorder? There are loads of people who haven't been formally diagnosed but that doesn't mean they don't have diagnosable mental health problems.
Cubone-r
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I mean like are there people who don't suffer from a mental illness or a personality disorder? There are loads of people who haven't been formally diagnosed but that doesn't mean they don't have diagnosable mental health problems.
Of course - but we will never be able to say one way or the other. I'm just stating that not everyone will receive a formal mental health disorder diagnosis.

We also have to remember that the field of mental health/psychiatry is still in its infancy, really. Every time new DSM comes out changes are made to the criteria of different mental health disorders all of the time. Take autism spectrum disorder (ASD) for example, possibly one of the most varied mental health issues in terms of defining symptoms; hence why you see such a variety of different kinds of people who have been diagnosed with ASD. So you have to take into account that our criteria for different mental health disorders are expanding and therefore more and more people are being included into different disorders, thus increasing the perception that everyone has mental health issues.

In my opinion, not everyone has a mental health disorder, but we all have mental health issues.
Sam00
Badges: 17
Report 1 year ago
Statistics suggest 1/4 people will experience mental health issues at some point in their life, i think more than half do though
Dysf(x)al
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by hannxm)
I wonder this sometimes. Everyone has mental health, but I think there are those without any conditions, just like there are physically healthy people! Just look on a Facebook post about mental health; you'll find people commenting who don't believe in it and have no sympathy for people who suffer with them - I'd say those are people who have not experienced mental health conditions... yet.
That in itself is a problem to some extent: the unwillingless to listen to experts.
username3280668
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Idk
Of course they exist. Me for example. 🙂 People with mental health issues make up a minority, a sizeable minority, but a minority nonetheless.
Dysf(x)al
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Sam00)
Statistics suggest 1/4 people will experience mental health issues at some point in their life, i think more than half do though
You're probably right. A lot of mental health issues go unreported because many people don't seek help.
Adotmac
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I think OP, if one has mental health problems and it has been chronic, one may notice dysfunctional behaviour in others and attribute it to a mental health condition as a means to justify and validate ones own mental health condition.

As somebody else has said, the amount of people with mental health problems is far less than those without. However, if the official figure is 1 in 10 (for arguments sake) for mentally ill people the figure is all but guaranteed to be far higher.

I would give anything to see how mental health is treated in 100, 200+ years. We are right at the beginning and it's a really dark time to have serious mental health issues I think!
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
quackers2003
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
this isn't Tumblr please leave
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Royal Oak
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yes. Five years ago I would say that my mental health was fine. Now it really isn't.
Danny the Geezer
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I was cynical of MH problems, thought I was invincible, perceived people who had them "weak", until I experienced them, and I experience them to this day. I'd say everyone has a type of personality "malfunction", even if people are just prone to anger (we put it down to stress, or a "bad day") or whatever, but what if they did have a mental health condition that wasn't formally diagnosed? We all have a pre-disposition (as it's genetically highly likely that someone in our immediate family has had them, it's just how it manifests -
doodle_333
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Mental health problems are on a spectrum - from 100% healthy to 100% ill and people exist all the way along it. I'm sure there are some people at either extreme of the spectrum but the majority will be towards the middle - people who sometimes react badly, have some vices, stresses etc but aren't unable to cope. People will also move back and forth along the spectrum at different points in their lives.
basicallyshrek
Rep:
?
(Original post by quackers2003)
this isn't Tumblr please leave
oh really i had no idea
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (89)
16.57%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (55)
10.24%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (96)
17.88%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (81)
15.08%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (54)
10.06%
How can I be the best version of myself? (162)
30.17%

Watched Threads