The Student Room Group

Careers for bioveterinary science?

Hello! I'm planning on applying for the bioveterinary science degree, but I'm not sure what kind of things would be good to do for employment after. Any useful suggestions? :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kistina Martin
Hello! I'm planning on applying for the bioveterinary science degree, but I'm not sure what kind of things would be good to do for employment after. Any useful suggestions? :frown:

There are several careers you can go in to, some of which will be listed on the university website often under the course info. I did biovet science as my first degree.

People on my course went on to do the following:
Lab work, one in nationwide labs dealing with animal samples sent from vets, the other in a lab that deals with textiles etc
Teaching, most went on to do PGCE's and became teachers, biology/chemistry mostly
Veterinary physiotherapy - two of them went on to do a masters in physio and now run their own businesses as vet physios
Nursing - one went on to become a veterinary nurse
Zoo - one went on to do an internship in a zoo and she now works in a zoo full time. She also did several penguin internships.
Vet science - two of us went to do veterinary science as graduates, I went to liverpool, my friend is in his 4th year at UVM Koscie now

There isn't a mass of careers to go in to but there is a variety, most require a little more going through higher education to achieve, the majority of my year are secondary school teachers however but lab/research work is the general career people often go in to after completing the degree.

https://www.liverpool.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/bioveterinary-science-bsc-hons/career-prospects/

This is what lincoln suggests career wise (I went to lincoln uni and did biovet there)
There's also, of course, academia and related areas. Zoology and BVS are active research areas, and while not quite the juggernaut of human biomedical science in the biosciences, do have a strong platform. Additionally, Home Office labs do exist at a number of major research universities and will certainly need both researchers as well as lab technicians and managers. Having a background with specifically animal science rather than just general bioscience would be a feather in your cap when applying to positions in such labs, I'm sure.
Original post by Lizziefickling
There are several careers you can go in to, some of which will be listed on the university website often under the course info. I did biovet science as my first degree.

Lab work, one in nationwide labs dealing with animal samples sent from vets, the other in a lab that deals with textiles etc
Teaching, most went on to do PGCE's and became teachers, biology/chemistry mostly
Veterinary physiotherapy - two of them went on to do a masters in physio and now run their own businesses as vet physios
Zoo - one went on to do an internship in a zoo and she now works in a zoo full time. She also did several penguin internships.
Vet science - two of us went to do veterinary science as graduates, I went to liverpool, my friend is in his 4th year at UVM Koscie now

There isn't a mass of careers to go in to but there is a variety, most require a little more going through higher education to achieve, the majority of my year are secondary school teachers however but lab/research work is the general career people often go in to after completing the degree.

https://www.liverpool.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/bioveterinary-science-bsc-hons/career-prospects/

This is what lincoln suggests career wise (I went to lincoln uni and did biovet there)

I quite like the idea of vet physio or lab work!! I don't mean to be rude or anything but do they pay well? I got worried cause I heard even vets don't get paid as well as people think. I was also wondering whether it's possible to go into the pharmaceutical industry?? Or is that more of a career post vet science? :/
I quite like the idea of vet physio or lab work!! I don't mean to be rude or anything but do they pay well? I got worried cause I heard even vets don't get paid as well as people think. I was also wondering whether it's possible to go into the pharmaceutical industry?? Or is that more of a career post vet science? :/

I haven't a clue I'm sorry, I don't look at jobs based on whether they pay well or not you do a job because you enjoy it not because you get paid thousands a year lol. You would have to do some form of pharmacy qualification to do that I would assume, I've not heard of anyone doing that without doing a pharmacy degree. You have minimal pharmacology in the biovet degree.
I haven't a clue I'm sorry, I don't look at jobs based on whether they pay well or not you do a job because you enjoy it not because you get paid thousands a year lol. You would have to do some form of pharmacy qualification to do that I would assume, I've not heard of anyone doing that without doing a pharmacy degree. You have minimal pharmacology in the biovet degree.

I totally agree with doing a job that I enjoy, but my family has been uncomfortable with me going in this direction since it's quite a foreign area to them :frown: Which is why I'm trying to look for perhaps a career with stable income so that I can reassure them. I hope to do something animal pharmaceutical but I'm not sure whether this course will allow me to ;v; perhaps post graduate in Masters?? I also like the idea of physio and lab so I guess I could think about those too! I'm quite lost but thank you very much for your reply!
I totally agree with doing a job that I enjoy, but my family has been uncomfortable with me going in this direction since it's quite a foreign area to them :frown: Which is why I'm trying to look for perhaps a career with stable income so that I can reassure them. I hope to do something animal pharmaceutical but I'm not sure whether this course will allow me to ;v; perhaps post graduate in Masters?? I also like the idea of physio and lab so I guess I could think about those too! I'm quite lost but thank you very much for your reply!

I will say do not choose what you do based on what your family think. You do what YOU want to do because you're the one that has to live with the decision and the job for the majority of your life! Never make a choice like this to please your family. My course all have jobs now and are all managing to survive, my friend who works in a lab is on around £30,000 a year so it's not exactly a job that pays rubbish if you get in with the right company.
I will say do not choose what you do based on what your family think. You do what YOU want to do because you're the one that has to live with the decision and the job for the majority of your life! Never make a choice like this to please your family. My course all have jobs now and are all managing to survive, my friend who works in a lab is on around £30,000 a year so it's not exactly a job that pays rubbish if you get in with the right company.

Ofc that's what I want to do too, but unfortunately they are the ones paying for my education so I can't exactly do something they are completely against.. and I myself would also be happy if I can get into something I enjoy AND have a stable income in future
Ofc that's what I want to do too, but unfortunately they are the ones paying for my education so I can't exactly do something they are completely against.. and I myself would also be happy if I can get into something I enjoy AND have a stable income in future

Your parents don't have to pay for your education, your student loan pays for it.
Your parents don't have to pay for your education, your student loan pays for it.

Don't think I can just get a student loan that simply? (Living in a sad household where permission is everything) And I assume it asks for interest after too..My family can afford it to a certain extent but they want me to go into something "worthwhile" to them so it doesn't go to waste? But either way about finance, I do hope I can get into something with steady income and also enjoy, which made me consider around possible careers
Don't think I can just get a student loan that simply? (Living in a sad household where permission is everything) And I assume it asks for interest after too..My family can afford it to a certain extent but they want me to go into something "worthwhile" to them so it doesn't go to waste? But either way about finance, I do hope I can get into something with steady income and also enjoy, which made me consider around possible careers

SFE provide all students with a student loan, you don't have to ask your parents for permission, SFE pay your maintenance loan and also your tuition fees. Yes there's interest but only when you pay it back when you graduate and are on £21,000+ a year otherwise they don't take it out your wages.
SFE provide all students with a student loan, you don't have to ask your parents for permission, SFE pay your maintenance loan and also your tuition fees. Yes there's interest but only when you pay it back when you graduate and are on £21,000+ a year otherwise they don't take it out your wages.

But still I can't exactly just do what I want whatsoever in terms of that. Say I can get a student loan, I can't just go to airports etc by myself. And I don't really fancy doing something that wouldn't make them too happy

Anyways, thank you for your recommendations! I'll try my best to talk it out with them hopefully in time..
Bit late but mostly for anyone else looking at this thread. Vet physio pays very well whilst lab work really depends what area you go into. It's generally not well paid honestly but for example genetics is better paid than haematology labs. But vet physio takes a lot of further education and experience whereas as a graduate you can work in a lab there's no requirement for a masters.
There is one vet physio course. My DD has a friend wanting to do equine physio - she is going down the route of becoming a human physio first before then getting the equine 'add on'.
I have an unconditional offer for biovet at Lincoln and just received a conditional offer (AAC) from Bristol. I like both but really not sure what to do if on results day say I get three A’s. Would turning down an offer from Bristol be a bad idea seeing as it’s ranked higher and is a ‘better’ course?
Most people go on to work in research and/or laboratory work. I myself hope to go on to study Veterinary Science which is another common direction people take. It’s a pretty broad subject so it’ll open a good amount of doors for you. Currently unemployment with this degree is 0%
Reply 17

Once finishing the degree in bio science could you go to a university to study veterinary medicine?
Reply 18
Original post by KING Dre
Most people go on to work in research and/or laboratory work. I myself hope to go on to study Veterinary Science which is another common direction people take. It’s a pretty broad subject so it’ll open a good amount of doors for you. Currently unemployment with this degree is 0%

is vet science vet med?
Original post by Lea438
is vet science vet med?

not necessarily - there is variation in the name of the course from vet school to vet school. If the course code is D100 and it is 5 or 6 years long then it will qualify you as a vet, if not then it won't

Quick Reply

Latest