Which CGP book should I buy for AS-level maths

Watch
username3112590
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi, so bassicaly there are 3 types of cgp books for maths. Which one would be most effective as there's not much past papers as it's a new spec so I have to make most of a revision book:
1) student book
2) complete revision guide
3) Textbook
Thanks in advance
username3112590
Rep:
?
anyone
username3112590
Rep:
?
bump
S.G.
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by GCSE 9)
Hi, so bassicaly there are 3 types of cgp books for maths. Which one would be most effective as there's not much past papers as it's a new spec so I have to make most of a revision book:
1) student book
3) Textbook
Thanks in advance
Used complete revision guide. Was decent.
username3112590
Rep:
?
(Original post by SGHD26716)
Used complete revision guide. Was decent.
Thanks , and also is it true that the cgp revsion guides for a levels are too basic?
S.G.
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Thanks , and also is it true that the cgp revsion guides for a levels are too basic?
Yeah I would say so. It was a good source of practice questions and it's quite easy to read but I would recommend doing past papers most of all for maths.
frostfly
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
1) student book
3) Textbook
Thanks in advance
You don't need a revision guide for Maths :laugh:

You need past papers. Textbooks and examsolutions videos will also come in handy.
username297163
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I wouldn't recommend buying a CGP book for AS/A level - You're better off using your time focusing on past exam papers and more detailed textbooks
thotproduct
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi

Many textbooks for Maths have not been fully completed yet, at least I know that CGP are only taking pre-orders, for Maths/FM we're not getting any sort of notebook until Oct when Cambridge University Press complete it.
HaroldW
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Can anyone recommend any alternatives for the new Edexcel spec?

It seems like CGP are the only ones that have covered it, so far.
username3112590
Rep:
?
Thnaks to everyone, however, alot of you mentioned past papers but there's no past papers (except maybe 1/2 specimum papers) for the new spec maths and the old spec ones aren't relevent and have different modules?
Notnek
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
1) student book
3) Textbook
Thanks in advance
Assuming you're doing the linear spec, CGP have made exam practice workbooks for A Level maths e.g. this one. They will be useful since there won't be any past papers specific to the new spec to practice from.
username3112590
Rep:
?
(Original post by Notnek)
Assuming you're doing the linear spec, CGP have made exam practice workbooks for A Level maths e.g. this one. They will be useful since there won't be any past papers specific to the new spec to practice from.
Thank you very much and is this sufficient enough to get me an A at AS
Notnek
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Thank you very much and is this sufficient enough to get me an A at AS
When you start revising, I recommend practicing old past papers as well as mock/specimen papers provided by your exam board. Plus there may be other practice papers that you can get your hands on e.g. there are practice papers in the CGP book I linked to above.

Next year your school should provide for you / guide you towards resources that will be useful. If you are doing well in school and do lots of revision then you have a good chance of getting an A.
username3112590
Rep:
?
When you start revising, I recommend practicing old past papers as well as mock/specimen papers provided by your exam board. Plus there may be other practice papers that you can get your hands on e.g. there are practice papers in the CGP book I linked to above.

Next year your school should provide for you / guide you towards resources that will be useful. If you are doing well in school and do lots of revision then you have a good chance of getting an A.
Thanks again and also I started sixth form last week and we had a combination of both pure maths lessons and statistics, but I'm finding statistics quite difficult in terms of how vague your answer must be, you have to be exact to get the marks. So do you have any advice on statistics as it is quite a tricky one
Notnek
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Thanks again and also I started sixth form last week and we had a combination of both pure maths lessons and statistics, but I'm finding statistics quite difficult in terms of how vague your answer must be, you have to be exact to get the marks. So do you have any advice on statistics as it is quite a tricky one
It's really early in your course so you don't need to worry. Just keep doing all of the textbook questions and you'll get used to styles of answers that are accepted.

If you have an example of the types of questions you don't like then please post them.
username3112590
Rep:
?
It's really early in your course so you don't need to worry. Just keep doing all of the textbook questions and you'll get used to styles of answers that are accepted.

If you have an example of the types of questions you don't like then please post them.
Thanks and I'll post any questions I'm stuck on
gdunne42
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by HaroldW)
Can anyone recommend any alternatives for the new Edexcel spec?

It seems like CGP are the only ones that have covered it, so far.
If you don't want the oficial Edexcel ones then the Hodder AS text book looks ok.
gdunne42
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Thnaks to everyone, however, alot of you mentioned past papers but there's no past papers (except maybe 1/2 specimum papers) for the new spec maths and the old spec ones aren't relevent and have different modules?
It would be worth doing C1 and C2 papers from the old specification and C12 papers from the international A level if you are doing Edexcel. While not exactly the same specification there is a huge overlap in content. Practice for the applications paper would be trickier as it includes content from M1, M2, S1 and S2. In the past, when new specifications were introduced, Edexcel produced practice papers matched to the new specifications and they have said they will do this later this year as have AQA. I'm sure OCR will do the same. There will be several independent publishers working on practice papers which some schools will buy for their students to use and some won't.
username3112590
Rep:
?
(Original post by gdunne42)
It would be worth doing C1 and C2 papers from the old specification and C12 papers from the international A level. While not exactly the same specification there is a huge overlap in content. Practice for the applications paper would be trickier as it includes content from M1, M2, S1 and S2. In the past, when new specifications were introduced, Edexcel produced practice papers matched to the new specifications and they have said they will do this later this year.
Thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (46)
14.79%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (101)
32.48%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (38)
12.22%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (27)
8.68%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (17)
5.47%
I think it's an unfair expectation (79)
25.4%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
0.96%

Watched Threads