The Student Room Group

Why isnt there a cure for cancer?

Im writing (5000 words) about cancer, and why we still don't have a cure for cancer. At the moment im doing a plan and gathering information and im stuck on what to include. I already included the following:
1) Intro-what is cancer. And the % of ppl who has it etc
2) how is it formed & how it affects the body as a whole
3) The difficulty in not finding the cure and the reasons for not having the cure

I don't think this is enough for 5k words. Could someone suggest what else could I include based on my topic on why isnt there a cure for cancer yet.

Much, much, much appreciated
Original post by masamin
Im writing (5000 words) about cancer, and why we still don't have a cure for cancer. At the moment im doing a plan and gathering information and im stuck on what to include. I already included the following:
1) Intro-what is cancer. And the % of ppl who has it etc
2) how is it formed & how it affects the body as a whole
3) The difficulty in not finding the cure and the reasons for not having the cure

I don't think this is enough for 5k words. Could someone suggest what else could I include based on my topic on why isnt there a cure for cancer yet.

Much, much, much appreciated

You could talk about the existing treatments and what's being developed right now.
Because everyone that finds a cure gets a swift bullet to the head.
Reply 3
Original post by StudyJosh
Because everyone that finds a cure gets a swift bullet to the head.

Finding a cure for cancer is business which benefits the government since a lot of money I's donated to find the cure, while the cure already exists but the gov is not releasing it? Yeah, wanted to do that but its a "childish " topic and it doesn't have a lot to write about
Reply 4
The term "cancer" encompasses around 200 separate diseases, and each type of cancer can arise from a number of different mutations. A treatment which is miraculously effective for one type of cancer may well not work on others (or even on other patients who have the same disease but present differently). In addition, a number of new treatments have been developed which are initially very effective, but which the cancer then becomes resistant to.

I don't subscribe to the theory that cures for cancer are being "suppressed" for economic reasons - approximately 50% of the UK population will develop cancer at some point in their lives, and because it is a complex condition, patients would be likely to require treatment over an extended period of time, making a cure for even one type of cancer extremely profitable for the individual or team who develop it (not just because of the cost of the drug itself, but the awards, accolades and subsequent grants which they would undoubtedly receive). That, and the fact that there is absolutely no evidence to support such a claim.
If you want to get into some of the molecular biology, look at the research into Ras proteins and NF-κB.

Both highlight the difficult of trying to understand the mechanisms involved in cancers and difficulties of developing treatment.
Cancer Research is a very profitable business, which would dissolve if a cure were found.
It's all about the $$$

Quick Reply

Latest