Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I am in Y13 and I got 2A*s (1 in history), 4As, 3Bs and 2 Cs at GCSE. In as levels I got BAAA in History, economics, spanish and geography. It's painful I got the lowest mark in the subject I want to do at Uni and I was only 1 mark off an A. We haven't been given predictions yet, so realistically where could I go to for University?
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kamikaze16)
    Hi, I am in Y13 and I got 2A*s (1 in history), 4As, 3Bs and 2 Cs at GCSE. In as levels I got BAAA in History, economics, spanish and geography. It's painful I got the lowest mark in the subject I want to do at Uni and I was only 1 mark off an A. We haven't been given predictions yet, so realistically where could I go to for University?
    you decided against a remark for history? you could look at AAB entry requirements or some lower perhaps.

ReputationRep:
    Got a remark and it didn't go up
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Got a remark and it didn't go up
    Oh i m sorry to hear that, one mark isn't far off at all so perhaps you can still get an A at a level.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I hope so, I had been getting As through the year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    Oh i m sorry to hear that, one mark isn't far off at all so perhaps you can still get an A at a level.
    So I got my other paper remarked and it went up to an A . I know I am predicted an A in economics but I'm not sure about history and economics. So now with AAAA in history, economics, spanish and geography. Where should I be looking to go to?

ReputationRep:
    Remember that you have 5 application choices on UCAS. Try to find out what your predictions are. Then, (assuming As), you could consider applying for some higher tarriff courses and also some AAB, so you cover yourself for a range of outcomes.
    To find out which Unis offer which grades, you could look on the Which University website which allows you to select unis based on your expected grades. Also the Complete Uni Guide will list unis in league table order for History. You will find the expected grades generally follow the table, and by looking on the Uni websites direct you will what the typical entry requirements are, so you can start compiling a "possibles" list.

ReputationRep:
    .....there's also the UniMatch service on TSR to find possible course.

ReputationRep:
    If you get 3 x A predictions, the world is almost your lobster.
    (And, its always worth applying to at least one AAA even if you are predicted AAB).

What Uni ( https://www.whatuni.com/ ) allows you to search on degree subject and likely grades, and you can sort with other filters like 'area of the country' and type of Uni. Always double check the University's own website for subjects and GCSEs requirements etc. And make sure the course has options that you actually want to do!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    you decided against a remark for history? you could look at AAB entry requirements or some lower perhaps.
    Hi, so I got predicted A*AA with the A* in history and As in economics and spanish. Please can you me more guidance about where to apply

ReputationRep:
    Hi, so I got predicted A*AA with the A* in history and As in economics and spanish. Please can you me more guidance about where to apply
    There is no university in the country which requires higher than A*AA so you can literally apply anywhere.

What research have you done so far?

ReputationRep:
    I've looked at universities like cambridge, exeter, lse, southampton, university of Richmond, university of law, UCL, bristol and warwick. I reckon I'd have a decent chance in places like southampton (AAB-ABB), Richmond (BBC), Law (BBB). Even though I am predicted A*AA, I know at all the universities I've listed competition is extremely tough and it comes down to more than grades as everyone is applying with more or less the same and my gcse's are lower than quite a few applicants.

ReputationRep:
    I've looked at universities like cambridge, exeter, lse, southampton, university of Richmond, university of law, UCL, bristol and warwick. I reckon I'd have a decent chance in places like southampton (AAB-ABB), Richmond (BBC), Law (BBB). Even though I am predicted A*AA, I know at all the universities I've listed competition is extremely tough and it comes down to more than grades as everyone is applying with more or less the same and my gcse's are lower than quite a few applicants.
    You have covered a wide range of unis there! Competition is obviously very high for Cambridge. You can get a feel for this from the Which Uni website which shows the %age of applicants who get an offer e.g. for Warwick it says 89% for History, You have have 5 choices so you can spread your options (and risk) across a range of requirements from A*AA, AAAs (such as Birmingham, Leeds York) to AABs (UEA etc). If you are concerned about your GCSEs, I would suggest you call the History Admissions at a Uni you are considering and ask if it is likely to be an issue.

ReputationRep:
    So I got my other paper remarked and it went up to an A . I know I am predicted an A in economics but I'm not sure about history and economics. So now with AAAA in history, economics, spanish and geography. Where should I be looking to go to?
    4 A's..... I'd apply to oxbridge..... why not?

Still got three other applications you can do as well

ReputationRep:
    The care far more about your a levels than GCSE's with the exception being if they see a particular GCSE as being crucial to their subject.

So for example a c in gcse biology for medicine but even then if you did it at a level and got an A they would disregard the GCSE

ReputationRep:
    Why the University of Law if you want to study History? Do not consider Richmond, just don't. There is no way you need to apply to BBC unis as an insurance with your academic profile. You will get offers from A*AA/AAA unis without doubt - perhaps not all (eg Cambridge, UCL etc) but you only need one or two. If you want a lower insurance have a look at AAB unis.

Good advice here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/uni...ity-rejections.

ReputationRep:
    One thing to look out for is that almost all universities will offer a History degree, but they will all be slightly different.

Do you want a mix of ancient and modern, or to focus on just one? Is there a particular area of the world you want to focus on? Do you like a particular type of history (e.g. political history, social history)?

You can and should be applying to some very good universities with those predicted grades. You can increase your chances of being accepted (and enjoying and doing well in your degree) if you make sure there's a good fit between your academic interests and the course you choose.

Do you get on well with your history teacher? It might be worth seeing if they have 10 minutes to have a chat through with you what your main strengths and interests are within the subject and using that to help narrow down your range of options.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.