The Student Room Group

Need advice with Oxford Biomed

I've always wanted to study biomedical science. Everyone is expecting me to apply to Oxford, but I don't know if it is the right decision. I am concerned that I will not get in. My GCSEs are debatable. At my school they put an emphasis on doing as many exams as possible, so I ended up with 13 GCSEs. As I did quite a few I only ended up with 8 A* grades, this puts me at a 62.5%. Which isn't great as I was told the average applicant has 70% A*. So straight off I am at the bottom of the pile. Luckily my AS grades were very strong and I received AAAA, however I have now been told that due to the reforms Oxford will not consider my AS grades at all. I did maths, chemistry, biology and psychology at AS, but dropped maths to do the other 3 at A2. Well I read that 83% of those successful last year offered biology,chemistry & maths. So I would not be doing the ideal combination. I doubt my BMAT will be great as I hate the whole comprehension side. I am also very worried that the acceptance rate is 12-13%. Hopefully I will achieve the A*AA at A level, however I have my doubts if they would make me an offer anyway.

I am thinking of applying for biochemistry as they have a higher acceptance rate and no admission test to fail. I do quite like biochemistry, but my personal statement is tailored towards BMS.

In all honesty is there any point applying to Oxford considering the fact that if they don't credit my AS results, I would be one of the weaker candidates? Do I stand any chance of getting in?

Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by OwlOfFire
I've always wanted to study biomedical science. Everyone is expecting me to apply to Oxford, but I don't know if it is the right decision. I am concerned that I will not get in. My GCSEs are debatable. At my school they put an emphasis on doing as many exams as possible, so I ended up with 13 GCSEs. As I did quite a few I only ended up with 8 A* grades, this puts me at a 62.5%. Which isn't great as I was told the average applicant has 70% A*. So straight off I am at the bottom of the pile. Luckily my AS grades were very strong and I received AAAA, however I have now been told that due to the reforms Oxford will not consider my AS grades at all. I did maths, chemistry, biology and psychology at AS, but dropped maths to do the other 3 at A2. Well I read that 83% of those successful last year offered biology,chemistry & maths. So I would not be doing the ideal combination. I doubt my BMAT will be great as I hate the whole comprehension side. I am also very worried that the acceptance rate is 12-13%. Hopefully I will achieve the A*AA at A level, however I have my doubts if they would make me an offer anyway.

I am thinking of applying for biochemistry as they have a higher acceptance rate and no admission test to fail. I do quite like biochemistry, but my personal statement is tailored towards BMS.

In all honesty is there any point applying to Oxford considering the fact that if they don't credit my AS results, I would be one of the weaker candidates? Do I stand any chance of getting in?

Thanks

Have a look at:
https://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/bms/applying/admissions-statistics

But maybe @BrasenoseAdm can comment on your academic profile :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Doonesbury
Have a look at:

Thanks, I've been looking through the statistics and it doesn't look too promising for me. Do I have any chance?
Have a look at:

We don't offer Biomedical Science so our insights are limited. It looks as though BMAT score of 55-59 is needed to be in contention and anything above that seems highly likely to land an interview.
Reply 4
Original post by BrasenoseAdm
We don't offer Biomedical Science so our insights are limited. It looks as though BMAT score of 55-59 is needed to be in contention and anything above that seems highly likely to land an interview.

Thanks! Can you also comment on the OPs concern about "only" having 8A*s from 13 GCSEs? Does Oxford only count the best 8 or something?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Be aware that Biochemistry is quite a dfferent degree to Biomedical Science, with a strong focus on the chemistry, in the first year at least. A good level of maths is also required for Oxford.

With your grades, you will receive several offers for Biomedical Science from good universities and so there is little to be lost by also applying to Oxford.
Thanks! Can you also comment on the OPs concern about "only" having 8A*s from 13 GCSEs? Does Oxford only count the best 8 or something?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, there is no 'best of'. To be given a school contextualised score, applicants must have taken a minimum of six GCSEs. That may be what is being referred to.
Reply 7
Original post by BrasenoseAdm
No, there is no 'best of'. To be given a school contextualised score, applicants must have taken a minimum of six GCSEs. That may be what is being referred to.

What would be considered a standard biochemistry applicant, in regard to GCSE grades? I know biochemistry is a larger course and has no admission test, would I stand a better chance of getting into Oxford if I applied as a biochemistry applicant?
Original post by OwlOfFire
What would be considered a standard biochemistry applicant, in regard to GCSE grades? I know biochemistry is a larger course and has no admission test, would I stand a better chance of getting into Oxford if I applied as a biochemistry applicant?

Thanks for your post.

There is no statistically significnt difference between a Biochemistry GCSE profile and for therest of the University in terms of interviewees.

Biochemistry have put their criteria online here so you can compare yourself against this information:

http://www.bioch.ox.ac.uk/undergraduate/ug_admissions/admissions-criteria

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending