Linear A level Maths (+Further Maths)

Watch
username2908172
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hello,

I've just started sixth form and I'm taking maths and further maths and I have had the realisation that I am not sure how the A levels now work since becoming linear.

I know that all my exams will be taken at the end of year 13 but I realised I don't think they will be modular exams? Like a C1 paper, a S1 paper.

For Maths A level, how many exams will I be taking and what 'modules' are in each exam?

If you know for further maths too, that would be helpful. I'm not sure what the topics the school is picking for us unfortunately so I understand if you cannot answer. We have started with FP1 and D1 I believe

I forgot to mention I am on EDEXCEL
ecila21
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by MathsMeme)
Hello,

I've just started sixth form and I'm taking maths and further maths and I have had the realisation that I am not sure how the A levels now work since becoming linear.

I know that all my exams will be taken at the end of year 13 but I realised I don't think they will be modular exams? Like a C1 paper, a S1 paper.

For Maths A level, how many exams will I be taking and what 'modules' are in each exam?

If you know for further maths too, that would be helpful. I'm not sure what the topics the school is picking for us unfortunately so I understand if you cannot answer. We have started with FP1 and D1 I believe
You're correct that the exams are no longer modular. Instead, the papers are a bit more mixed. In AQA maths, for example, paper 1 is pure or core maths based, paper 2 is mechanics and paper 3 is statistics. The arrangement will vary depending on your exam board though, so check out your specification.You will probably take either 3 or 4 exams for maths and 3 or 4 for further maths - again, this will depend on your exam board.

For further maths, at least for AQA, everyone sits papers 1 and 2 which is core maths (kind of like FP1 and FP2 I guess). Then you sit one more out of a choice of three - Discrete and Statistics, Discrete and Mechanics or Mechanics and Statistics.

What exam board are you doing?
username2908172
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by ecila21)
You're correct that the exams are no longer modular. Instead, the papers are a bit more mixed. In AQA maths, for example, paper 1 is pure or core maths based, paper 2 is mechanics and paper 3 is statistics. The arrangement will vary depending on your exam board though, so check out your specification.You will probably take either 3 or 4 exams for maths and 3 or 4 for further maths - again, this will depend on your exam board.

For further maths, at least for AQA, everyone sits papers 1 and 2 which is core maths (kind of like FP1 and FP2 I guess). Then you sit one more out of a choice of three - Discrete and Statistics, Discrete and Mechanics or Mechanics and Statistics.

What exam board are you doing?
Thank you very much, edexcel
ecila21
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Ah okay. So for edexcel the exams go something like this:

Maths - Papers 1 and 2 are pure/core maths. Paper 3 is statistics and mechanics together in one paper

Further maths - Papers 1 and 2 are pure/core maths again. It's a bit more complicated with papers 3 and 4 so I'll explain in more depth:

In paper 3, you chose one out of the following -
A: Further Pure Mathematics 1
B: Further Statistics 1
C: Further Mechanics 1
D: Decision Mathematics 1

In paper 4, you chose one out of the following -
A: Further Pure Mathematics 2
B: Further Statistics 1
C: Further Mechanics 1
D: Decision Mathematics 1
E: Further Statistics 2
F: Further Mechanics 2
G: Decision Mathematics 2

Obviously, you can't take Further Mechanics 1 in both paper 3 and paper 4. I guess your school will advise you on what modules you will do so they're probably the best people to ask for further information.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (49)
16.33%
I'm not sure (8)
2.67%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (103)
34.33%
I have already dropped out (4)
1.33%
I'm not a current university student (136)
45.33%

Watched Threads