Ninja's Journey to Shred-Land Watch

Ninja_R
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Intro
I've been lurking around the Fitness Blogs for a while now, and have done some research on what I want to do. I have finally decided to follow the routine on this website: https://www.muscleandstrength.com/wo...novice-workout (ICF 5x5) to begin with (from 18/09/2017).
I would really appreciate input and help (especially regarding beginning weights, diet (workout supplements etc), and strength building for the upper body.

Chosen Novice Routine:
Spoiler:
Show

Week One
Day 1 - Workout A
Day 2 - Rest
Day 3 - Workout B
Day 4 - Rest
Day 5 - Workout A
Days 6 & 7 - Rest

Week Two
Day 1 - Workout B
Day 2 - Rest
Day 3 - Workout A
Day 4 - Rest
Day 5 - Workout B
Days 6 & 7 - Rest

Workout A
  • Squats 5x5 (Weights: )
  • Bench Press 5x5 (Weights: )
  • Bent Over Row 5x5 (Weights: )
  • Barbell Shrugs 3x8 (Weights: )
  • Tricep Extensions 3x8 (Weights: )
  • Straight Bar or Incline Curls 3x8 (Weights: )
  • Hyperextensions with plate 2x10 (Weights: )
  • Cable Crunches 3x10 (Weights: )

Workout B
  • Deadlift 1x5 (Weights: )
  • Standing Press 5x5 (Weights: )
  • Bent Over Row (10% lighter than Workout A) 5x5 (Weights: )
  • Close Grip Bench Press 3x8 (Weights: )

The workouts seem a bit much with quite a lot of exercises (I was mainly looking to do just Squats, Deadlifts and Bench Press) but I'm just going to go with this and see how I progress, then adapt them a little (possibly inc. to 4 days a week instead of 3 days a week)

Current Measurements + Vital Stats:
Spoiler:
Show

Female
Weight: 46.7 kg
Height: 154.5 cm
Fat Percentage: 23.8%
Muscle Mass: 39.7%
Body Water Percentage: 56.5%
Bone Mass: 2.1 kg
BMR: 1280 Kcal

Arm: 25.0 cm (9.8 in)
Chest: 78.7 cm (31 in)
Waist: 58.5 cm (23 in)
Hips: 87.5 cm (34.4 in)
Thighs: 49.5 cm (19.5 in)
Shoulder to Shoulder: 44.5 cm (17.5 in)

My chest is already v small. I don't want to lose what little is there and become completely flat chested aha. This is one of my worries with doing weights. :afraid:

History:
Spoiler:
Show

I haven't been gymming for 3+ months; but previously I squatted 40 kg (4x10) (which I built up, starting with the bar, then adding 5's, 10's etc over time). The maximum I've deadlifted is 50 kg (inc. bar) (1x2 reps).
I used to do 20-30 min treadmill, 10 min rowing machine, Kettlebell swings 17kg (3x15), Dumbell Side bends 20kg (2x20) per side, abductor (2x20) adductor (2x20) machine, lunges 20 kg (2x10 per side) and a bunch of ab stuff (high rep - weighted crunches, extended leg lifts, bicycle crunches, 5kg Russian twists etc).

I did Thai kickboxing training 2-3x a week (which I have stopped - would like to pick up again). Stretches for splits 5-6x per week was few cm's off the floor (progress lost due to huge hiatus). I have terrible upper body strength, I barely manage 1 pull up (even with some support).
I read it's hard or harder for females to become muscular/bulky in comparison to males due to low testosterone which is quite disheartening.

Goals:
Spoiler:
Show
  • Make a fitness diary/blog to log progress
  • Become HUGGEE. #Hench or at least very well toned/muscular.

I want to do this by:
Reducing body fat percentage (to 18% to begin with then, get it further down to 15% if I can) and increase muscle mass.
Work out a diet plan (I have started recording caloric intake etc), increase protein intake (Buy protein powder/supplements?), reduce fat intake.
  • Work out what weights to begin with for each exercise.
  • Maintain + increase flexibility and strength. Get the splits.

Hopefully, the routine with regular stretching should help with this. (Pick up kickboxing again in a few months time).
  • Do at least 1 full pull-up without help. (Not sure how to make progress - HELP).
  • Increase upper body strength - without losing boobs/ making my shoulder even wider.
  • Really want a six-pack/good muscle definition + the V (aka prominent obliques without flexing)
  • Record food intake

Current Body Type and Goal Body Type:

Spoiler:
Show

Name:  tee.png
Views: 127
Size:  423.3 KB

Currently: Between 1 and 2, leaning towards 2 (with way smaller boobs ofc :< ). Like my 3D model on the right panel, my tummy also has a small (firm) sticky-out bit at the bottom, no matter how 'flat' my stomach gets it's still there. Is there any way to make it completely flat? Some people have wash-board flat stomachs, what is that bump and how do I make it flat?

Goal: Progress to 3, then 4. Dream of achieving 5 and 6 by pushing myself harder.

Need help with
Spoiler:
Show
  • Starting weights
  • Warm up exercises/routines + times
  • Choosing workout supplements
  • Altering workout plan to suit goals
  • I sometimes notice I lean to one side with squats, how can I correct this consciously? Similarly, one of my obliques seems to be more 'prominent' than the other. How can I avoid unevenness?

Oh gosh until today, I didn't even know 'skinny-fat' was a thing - am I...skinny fat!?

Records: Starting today: (16/09/2017)
Food:
Breakfast: 2 buttered crumpets, Tea with Sugar + Milk
Lunch: 1.5 cups curried mutton, Fish curry - Salmon
Evening: Tea with sugar + Milk
Dinner: 1.5 cups of brown rice, 2 cups curried mutton, Fish curry - Salmon
Snacks:
Excercise:
N/A
Unistudent77
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
IN - It's cool you've decided to open a blog.

Angry Cucumber (him to a greater extent) and I (to a lesser) moderate this forum so tag us or you can tag any of the regular posters such as Woody, BKS, Gone Revising, Sae etc etc if you have further questions going forwards...

You've done well and seem to have read the FAQ etc

To answer your questions:

You'll lose breast size if you cut fat. Perhaps some small growth may occur due to benching etc but I wouldn't expect much (not an expert on that!)
However the gym will not make them shrink. It's simply body fat (bf) dependant so all the gym will do is make you look better at the same bf

Re routine - seems decent, no reason why you can't go to a 4 day split. Whatever suits

Re weights - start with just the bar or touch more focusing on form. Work up with good form. Feel free to video and post in the thread, readers will help give tips or tag us. Alternatively, pm folk it.

Re supplements - just protein powder if you feel you don't get enough. (0.7g per lb of bodyweight is a good guide to go by)

Ok to set expectations....

You will find it tougher than a man to gain muscle.

However, you can make great gains and get a very strong physique.

I wouldn't advice you to reduce fat intake. Reduce carbs if you're going to cut calories.

Although i'd advise maintenance calories and as you can build muscle and lose fat for a few months due to beginner gains

Pulls ups - I'd do lat pulldown machine and build up to your bodyweight.
Alternatively, you can get stretchy bands than can go under your feet on the internet and that supports part of your weight - youtube/google pull up progression

Pure shredded 6 pack is maybe unachieveable.

Bodytype 3 and 4 is a good goal. 4 would take a while, 4 with more fat would be a v powerful physique.

However 5 and 6 are possibly photoshopped + very good lighting and if not actually kind of fake then the kids with such ripped physiques will be using peds/roids such as Anavar.

The 'bump' of fat would go if low enough body fat % but my advice is put on muscle and that will make the 'bump' not noticeable as your abs will protrude.

Record yourself re squat so someone can see if you're to a side. Do some single leg stufd with each leg and see is there is a significant imbalance, if so address it.
Avoid unevenness by occasionally using Dumbbells to address imbalances (can't really do that with squats admittedly)

You don't need to eat really really clean etc, just as long as it fits your macros. Focus on hitting the right calorie intake each day (by tracking calories on MyFitnessPal) and hit protein. That's it, don't over complicate it too much!

Hope that helps...
CleverSquirrel
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Ninja_R)
Intro
I've been lurking around the Fitness Blogs for a while now, and have done some research on what I want to do. I have finally decided to follow the routine on this website: https://www.muscleandstrength.com/wo...novice-workout (ICF 5x5) to begin with (from 18/09/2017).
I would really appreciate input and help (especially regarding beginning weights, diet (workout supplements etc), and strength building for the upper body.

Chosen Novice Routine:
Spoiler:
Show

Week One
Day 1 - Workout A
Day 2 - Rest
Day 3 - Workout B
Day 4 - Rest
Day 5 - Workout A
Days 6 & 7 - Rest

Week Two
Day 1 - Workout B
Day 2 - Rest
Day 3 - Workout A
Day 4 - Rest
Day 5 - Workout B
Days 6 & 7 - Rest

Workout A
  • Bench Press 5x5 (Weights: )
  • Bent Over Row 5x5 (Weights: )
  • Barbell Shrugs 3x8 (Weights: )
  • Tricep Extensions 3x8 (Weights: )
  • Hyperextensions with plate 2x10 (Weights: )

Workout B
  • Deadlift 1x5 (Weights: )
  • Standing Press 5x5 (Weights: )
  • Bent Over Row (10% lighter than Workout A) 5x5 (Weights: )
  • Close Grip Bench Press 3x8 (Weights: )

The workouts seem a bit much with quite a lot of exercises (I was mainly looking to do just Squats, Deadlifts and Bench Press) but I'm just going to go with this and see how I progress, then adapt them a little (possibly inc. to 4 days a week instead of 3 days a week)

Current Measurements + Vital Stats:
Spoiler:
Show

Female
Weight: 46.7 kg
Height: 154.5 cm
Fat Percentage: 23.8%
Muscle Mass: 39.7%
Body Water Percentage: 56.5%
Bone Mass: 2.1 kg
BMR: 1280 Kcal

Arm: 25.0 cm (9.8 in)
Chest: 78.7 cm (31 in)
Waist: 58.5 cm (23 in)
Hips: 87.5 cm (34.4 in)
Thighs: 49.5 cm (19.5 in)
Shoulder to Shoulder: 44.5 cm (17.5 in)

My chest is already v small. I don't want to lose what little is there and become completely flat chested aha. This is one of my worries with doing weights. :afraid:

History:
Spoiler:
Show

I haven't been gymming for 3+ months; but previously I squatted 40 kg (4x10) (which I built up, starting with the bar, then adding 5's, 10's etc over time). The maximum I've deadlifted is 50 kg (inc. bar) (1x2 reps).
I used to do 20-30 min treadmill, 10 min rowing machine, Kettlebell swings 17kg (3x15), Dumbell Side bends 20kg (2x20) per side, abductor (2x20) adductor (2x20) machine, lunges 20 kg (2x10 per side) and a bunch of ab stuff (high rep - weighted crunches, extended leg lifts, bicycle crunches, 5kg Russian twists etc).

I did Thai kickboxing training 2-3x a week (which I have stopped - would like to pick up again). Stretches for splits 5-6x per week was few cm's off the floor (progress lost due to huge hiatus). I have terrible upper body strength, I barely manage 1 pull up (even with some support).
I read it's hard or harder for females to become muscular/bulky in comparison to males due to low testosterone which is quite disheartening.

Goals:
Spoiler:
Show
  • Make a fitness diary/blog to log progress
  • Become HUGGEE. #Hench or at least very well toned/muscular.

I want to do this by:
Reducing body fat percentage (to 18% to begin with then, get it further down to 15% if I can) and increase muscle mass.
Work out a diet plan (I have started recording caloric intake etc), increase protein intake (Buy protein powder/supplements?), reduce fat intake.
  • Work out what weights to begin with for each exercise.
  • Maintain + increase flexibility and strength. Get the splits.

Hopefully, the routine with regular stretching should help with this. (Pick up kickboxing again in a few months time).
  • Do at least 1 full pull-up without help. (Not sure how to make progress - HELP).
  • Increase upper body strength - without losing boobs/ making my shoulder even wider.
  • Really want a six-pack/good muscle definition + the V (aka prominent obliques without flexing)
  • Record food intake

Current Body Type and Goal Body Type:

Spoiler:
Show

Name:  tee.png
Views: 127
Size:  423.3 KB

Currently: Between 1 and 2, leaning towards 2 (with way smaller boobs ofc :< ). Like my 3D model on the right panel, my tummy also has a small (firm) sticky-out bit at the bottom, no matter how 'flat' my stomach gets it's still there. Is there any way to make it completely flat? Some people have wash-board flat stomachs, what is that bump and how do I make it flat?

Goal: Progress to 3, then 4. Dream of achieving 5 and 6 by pushing myself harder.

Need help with
Spoiler:
Show
  • Starting weights
  • Warm up exercises/routines + times
  • Choosing workout supplements
  • Altering workout plan to suit goals
  • I sometimes notice I lean to one side with squats, how can I correct this consciously? Similarly, one of my obliques seems to be more 'prominent' than the other. How can I avoid unevenness?

Oh gosh until today, I didn't even know 'skinny-fat' was a thing - am I...skinny fat!?

Records: Starting today: (16/09/2017)
Food:
Breakfast: 2 buttered crumpets, Tea with Sugar + Milk
Lunch: 1.5 cups curried mutton, Fish curry - Salmon
Evening: Tea with sugar + Milk
Dinner:
Snacks:
Excercise:
N/A
Goooood luck! I'm looking forward to seeing your progress in the near future! :yep:
Ninja_R
Rep:
?
Thank you, that's very helpful.
I remember before, when I was using just the bar for squats, there would be people waiting to use the rack and (I know I shouldn't) I'd feel embarrassed. Busy gyms are a struggle sometimes. This week, I aim to buy protein & find interesting recipes to make smoothies. I saw someone suggesting MyFitnessPal on another blog here and downloaded it today.
How many calories (roughly) should I set as a daily target for the first couple of months (x more than my BMR or same, cause 1280 seems kinda low)?
I generally don't eat fast food, 'junk food', or drink fizzy drinks etc. As an Asian though, I do eat more rice than an average person (I think). Maybe that's where all the sneaky carbs are coming from. I should make a micro/macro list for food intake per day, hmm.
I'll defo be hitting the lat pulldown machine on Monday, determined to do 1 good pull up before 2017 ends.

(Original post by CleverSquirrel)
Goooood luck! I'm looking forward to seeing your progress in the near future! :yep:
Thank you! ^_^
Unistudent77
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thank you, that's very helpful.
I remember before, when I was using just the bar for squats, there would be people waiting to use the rack and (I know I shouldn't) I'd feel embarrassed. Busy gyms are a struggle sometimes. This week, I aim to buy protein & find interesting recipes to make smoothies. I saw someone suggesting MyFitnessPal on another blog here and downloaded it today.
How many calories (roughly) should I set as a daily target for the first couple of months (x more than my BMR or same, cause 1280 seems kinda low)?
I generally don't eat fast food, 'junk food', or drink fizzy drinks etc. As an Asian though, I do eat more rice than an average person (I think). Maybe that's where all the sneaky carbs are coming from. I should make a micro/macro list for food intake per day, hmm.
I'll defo be hitting the lat pulldown machine on Monday, determined to do 1 good pull up before 2017 ends.
No worries.
Yeah I get that but you have to just ignore it and push through.
I've had bad golfer's elbow in both arms so for the last 2/3 months upon returning to the gym I was using tiny weight, just had to do it as it was right for me.
Don't let you ego or lack of self-confidence get in the way of you reaching your goals.

Aim for maintenance calories so put your stats into 'MyFitnessPal' ie height and weight. Log all exercise.

Monitor your weight, if after 2 weeks you've lost weight slightly (I find MyFitnessPal slightly underestimates calories) then up your intake by like 100 a day so that you aren't losing weight.
You do want a slight gain in weight given muscle is heavier than fat and we're going into winter so most folk bulk in order to cut in the late spring time.

Well don't go ott. Calories and protein are all that matter. If you do go on a cut (which I would not recommend for 6/9 months from now) then you lower carbs over lowering 'fat' intake too much. Fat and protein have a purpose, carbs don't really.
However just eat normally for now, going on any real change of eating will only result in you chucking it in.

A good goal to have!
BKS
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I think all your questions have been answered but it's nice to see a noob who's actually bothered to read

One thing I'd add- if it's taking it too long then drop movements off the end when you don't have time rather than split it to 4 day. Always do the first 3, but the rest are less important. Beginners primarily need to build strength regardless of future goals and that's what the 5x5 aims more at. The 3x8 exercises are to give you a more balanced physique so since looks are part of your goals it matters but skipping them now and again isn't the end of the world. If need be you can look to make it shorter when you finsih with ICF if need be. And remember you can superset
Ninja_R
Rep:
?
17/09/2017

Cal Goal according to MyFitnessPal: 1440
Food:
Breakfast: Tea, (50) Bun + Egg (Cal: 192)
Lunch/Dinner: A whole pizza from pizza express :3 Leggera Pollo ad Astra (<500 Cal)
Evening: Tea (50 Cal)
Cal: 778 Cal
Exercise:
N/A
Ninja_R
Rep:
?
18/09/2017

Food:
Breakfast: Tea, Crumpets x2 (Cal: 246)
Lunch: Chunky Steak Pie, Gü shortbread cheesecake (Cal: 911)
Dinner: Mash Potato, mutton chunks, home-made fried fish fillet, marrow (Cal: 475)
Evening: Tea, Oreo Ice Cream Sandwich x2 (Oh no) (Cal: 420)
Cal: 2052 Cal (+612 than planned, oops)
Exercise:
Today didn't exactly go to plan. I went to gym with a friend and ended up doing an old routine. Lots of ground ab stuff, jumping squats + weighted lunges, stationery bike, squat bars (25kg) 10x2. Not the best start.
Going alone tomorrow, so take 2 of day 1 ICF 5x5.

OMG there are 685 calories in 1 Morrisons chunky steak pie!!?!?! 😱😱
Haha I atleast got the ice-cream part of the Ice-Cream fitness today. AmIRite? Hehehehe.
Gone Revising II
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Good luck.

EDIT: I agree with BKS
CleverSquirrel
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
18/09/2017

Food:
Breakfast: Tea, Crumpets x2 (Cal: 246)
Lunch: Chunky Steak Pie, Gü shortbread cheesecake (Cal: 911)
Dinner: Mash Potato, mutton chunks, home-made fried fish fillet, marrow (Cal: 475)
Evening: Tea, Oreo Ice Cream Sandwich x2 (Oh no) (Cal: 420)
Cal: 2052 Cal (+612 than planned, oops)
Exercise:
Today didn't exactly go to plan. I went to gym with a friend and ended up doing an old routine. Lots of ground ab stuff, jumping squats + weighted lunges, stationery bike, squat bars (25kg) 10x2. Not the best start.
Going alone tomorrow, so take 2 of day 1 ICF 5x5.

OMG there are 685 calories in 1 Morrisons chunky steak pie!!?!?! 😱😱
Haha I atleast got the ice-cream part of the Ice-Cream fitness today. AmIRite? Hehehehe.
i figured that going alone is much better than with company- you tend to focus more on yourself and what you want to, last time i went with a friend- i ended up doing the same as her and that was bear minimum!!!

btw ice cream is life
It's****ingWOODY
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I can't stand ICF, too much volume. I wrote a beginner's routine here, have a look-see. https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=4853194
Ninja_R
Rep:
?
Okay so update time~ So I haven’t updated for the last 2 days because I hadn’t really made progress. LONG POST

19/09/2017 NOT DAY 1
Spoiler:
Show

Food:
Breakfast: Crumpets + Tea (Cal: 246)
Lunch: Turbot, Tea (Cal: 145)
Dinner: N/A
Snacks: Gü pudding, Crisps, Glucose Tabley (Cal 707)
Cal: 1098 Cal (-342 than 1440)
Exercise:
Unlike planned, I decided to go late evening, and I went with a friend again. Totally sounds like I’m making excuses but the gym was so busy. Did not follow the routine, however did initial warm-up 20 min treadmill, 30 x 5kg dumbbell Squats, Crunches, 5kg lunges (10x2 per leg), 2 min circuit of jumping squats, push-ups, plank, burpees. Then a bunch of stretches.

20/09/2017 ALSO NOT DAY 1
Spoiler:
Show

Food:
Breakfast: Tea (Cal: 50)
Lunch: Salmon, Brown Rice, Mutton chunks (Cal: 856)
Dinner: Wedges, Salmon, Mutton chunks (Cal: 792)
Snacks: Gü pudding, Tea (Cal: 471)
Cal: 2169 Cal (+729 than 1440)
Exercise:
Such a fail day, had 0 motivation. :< Planned to go, but made excuses all day. Declared it “rest day” -_-“

20/09/2017 – DAY 1 (Finally, for realsies)

So today I was contemplating not going to the gym, again; but then I realised the benefit of blogging this journey – accountability. I decided to go at an earlier time. The gym was gloriously non-packed. Hurrah!

STORY TIME :>
Spoiler:
Show

Since my GAMSAT exam last week, I discovered caffeine pills which I’ve been taking 1 or 2 per day (Energy Plus Boots 50mg). I take one just before leaving ze house. Oh and Lucozade Glucose tablets. :nutcase:

So, I got to the gym, all bright eyed and bushy tailed. I did about 6 mins on the treadmill to warm up. Even though the gym was fairly empty, the ‘Olympic’ barbells were all in use. So, I was like, no trouble, I don’t have to do this in order. I decided to start with Lat pulldowns on the machine (wide lat pulldowns are so hard). Checked weights area again after, and hurrah, a free barbell on the floor. I did barbell rows and deadlifts. Attempted barbell shrugs, but I don’t think I’m doing it correctly.

And then finally, a rack. I decide to do the bench-press with just the bar. This is where it all goes downhill. The hook was the opposite way to what I found comfortable. First lift, wobble city. Oh no. I shuffle and reposition myself and the bench, try again, wobble city 2. But this time I manage a whole press, and another one, before intense wobbling pursues. I decided to put the bar on the rack, beautifully lopsided. I readjust the bar to make it straight. Back on the bench for the second attempt, one lift, then the wobbling gets too much and I DROP THE BAR ON MY CHEST! :zomg: Fudge. If this was a Facebook video, it’d be in a ‘fail video’ for sure. Palms sweaty, elbows weak, sweat on my forehead already, am I spaghetti...? I quickly try and lift up the bar, and DROP IT AGAIN and lands above my neck. :bricks:What a mess. Thank-you kind gym guy who came and lifted the bar away as I lay there embarrassed, unable to lift the bar up with my non-existent upper body strength. He told me I should continue on the smith’s machine. So, I do. By this time any confidence I had was long gone. :ashamed2:

I complete the rest of the bench press on the Smith’s machine and then decide to squat using it too. I felt dizzy mid-set and took a little rest. I have squatted heavier on a normal bar + weights before, so I was surprised at how much I struggled with 13kg on the Smith’s machine. Maybe it was the knocked confidence, who knows.
Weights seem a lot heavier, and reps seem a lot longer when there isn’t someone there cheering you on, telling you that you can do those last 2 reps. I missed my friend ah. The bench press incident would’ve most likely not occurred if they were there. I think this is the first time I’ve done weight without anyone else with me. I continued with dumbbell curls and finished off on the crunch machine since I was becoming increasingly dizzy.

While I was happy with the fact that I managed to do ‘Day 1’, I felt disappointed that I failed so phenomenally with the bench press. AFAIK Smith’s machine has a bad rep in the world of strength training. I came home and went on a bunch of different forums, reading posts slating the Smith's machine (it’s not good for form/technique etc etc). Sooooo yeah, that was day 1. Surprisingly, I did these in just over 1 hr. Each time I go with my friend, it always ends up being 2+ hrs (sometimes 3+) and it made me wonder what I was doing for that long all that time. I feel weak; somewhat accomplished (because yay I did day 1) and unaccomplished at the same time. :clap2:

Food:
Breakfast: Tea, Upma, Banana (Cal: 405)
Lunch: Glucose tablet (Cal: 26)
Dinner: Steamed Salmon, Steamed Broccoli, Mushrooms (Cal: 257)
Snacks: Banana, Orange, Tea (Cal: 217)
Cal: 905 Cal (-590 than 1440)

Exercise:
Squats 5x5 – Smiths machine :/ (13kg)
Bench Press - 6x5 (1 x 2 bar (20kg), 5 x 5kg smiths :/)
Barbell Row – 3 x 3 (Bar 20kg), 2 x 5 (10kg barbell)
Barbell Shrugs - N/A - I couldn’t quite figure out how to do these despite watching videos
Triceps Extensions – N/A
Dumbbell Curls - 3x8 per arm (4kg)
Hyperextensions – N/A Is this a machine-only exercise? We don’t have this machine(?)
Cable Crunches - 3x10 (16.3kg)
Lat Pulldown – 4 x 10 (18 kg)
Deadlift – 2 x 5 (Bar – 20kg)

Things I noticed :idea:/ things I’ll change/ things I need advice on:
  • My left arm is way weaker (contributing to wobble).
  • My diet is totally not regular, it seems I keep missing meals. My caloric intake is in increase/deficit (unintentionally) on alternating days.
  • I have lost all gains/progress I made before the hiatus.
  • My legs/glutes/abs aren’t aching at all (The good kinda post gym-ache ya know) – I need to push myself more (because I know I can do better) but I need to build confidence to lift weights without someone being around.
  • My arms/deltoids/pecs ache
  • MyFitnessPal is amazing.

Warmup routine I found (instead of treadmill): 3x
10x Air squats
10x Good mornings
10x Romanian deadlifts (with the small barbells)
10x Pushups
10x Pullups (NO)
15-20 sec hip stretching

I want to change the workout to include Squats, Bench Press and Deadlifts on all days. I also want to do 4x a week instead of 3. Increase weight with microplates each session but only if I successfully complete 5x5.

Need Advice:
  • Should I attempt benching with the small barbells (10kg etc, free weight – no hook), or stick with the smiths till my technique/balance improves? I don’t think I can bench with the Olympic bar (20kg).
  • What stretches should I be doing post-workout? (Similar to the stretches I do for splits?)
  • Anything and everything I can do to improve my arm/back/shoulder strength.
  • Any other advice to stop me being such a noob.
  • I read something about benching from the chest instead of benching using arms (I could not feel my chest at all - so clearly I'm doing it wrong - what should I do? Do I curl into that semi-circle form like powerlifters do before I bench? What should I do differently?)

My weight has been pretty much been maintained roughly 45.5kg – 49kg for the past 4+ years, with the average 47kg. Never above or below. I’m buying these analyser scales so I can monitor muscle mass% and fat% rather than just weight for more reliable goals/outcomes.

Thankyou Woody, I’ll have a look at that routine. I’m not sure I love all of the ICF exercises.

Ciao for now~ :cool:
Gone Revising II
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Where are you located?
Ninja_R
Rep:
?
(Original post by Gone Revising II)
Where are you located?
I pm'd you.
BKS
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
  • Should I attempt benching with the small barbells (10kg etc, free weight – no hook), or stick with the smiths till my technique/balance improves? I don’t think I can bench with the Olympic bar (20kg).

Smith machine is the wrong way- you don't need to stabilise it because the machine does it so you won't get better at it by using a smith. It also stops you benching right because the bar shouldn't go in a straight line up and down on bench.

My first bet is technique and something which would be a quick fix and the best way to practice is to bench the bar. I've seen lots of woman noobs and I can't think of ever seeing someone not able to bench the bar after they know how.

You can use safetys, get a spot or put it down on your chest, roll it to you legs then sit up
  • What stretches should I be doing post-workout? (Similar to the stretches I do for splits?

Whatever really. I value cool down and foam rolling more after but you can work on flexibility after if you want whilst you are still warm
  • Anything and everything I can do to improve my arm/back/shoulder strength.

That's what any proper programme will do, don't try and do more, just keep lifting
  • Any other advice to stop me being such a noob.
  • I read something about benching from the chest instead of benching using arms (I could not feel my chest at all - so clearly I'm doing it wrong - what should I do? Do I curl into that semi-circle form like powerlifters do before I bench? What should I do differently?)

Without seeing your bench we can't tell you how to do it differently but like I said, yes probably something wrong with your technique. It's chest shoulder and tris but where you feel it isn't a reliable guide. The semi circle is called an arch, you should at least do it a bit for stability. My other guesses would be you're not getting your shoulders back- squeeze your shoulder blades together and down throughout the lift. Your grip on the far isn't an even distance from the middle from each side. You aren't starting with your arms vertical
Ninja_R
Rep:
?
22/09/2017 - Day 2
Spoiler:
Show

Cal Goal according to MyFitnessPal: 1610
Food:
Lunch: N/A
Dinner: Turbot, Steamed Broccoli, Eggs, Brown Rice (Cal: 364)
Snacks: Tea (Cal: 50)
Cal: 820 Cal (-790 than 1610)
Exercise: Rest Day

I was so sore yesterday! I thought it would be better today but damnn I'm so stiff. Still, I'm really excited for gym today!

23/09/2017 - Day 3
Spoiler:
Show

Food:
Breakfast: Wheetabix, Banana, Blueberries, Milk, Tea (Cal: 376)
Lunch: N/A (Cal: 0)
Dinner: Carvery (Cal: 875)
Snacks: Tea(Cal: 50)
Cal: 1301 Cal (-309 than 1610)
Exercise:
  • Squats: 1x5 (20kg), 2x5 (25kg), 1x10 (30kg)
  • Deadlift: 2x5 (20kg), 1x5 (25kg)
  • Standing Press: 2x8 (10kg)
  • Bent Over Row: 3x10, 1x8 (10kg)
  • Close Grip Bench Press: 3x10 (10kg)
  • Straight Bar or Incline Curls: 3x8 (4kg) per arm.
CleverSquirrel
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
22/09/2017 - Day 2

Food:
Lunch: N/A
Dinner: Turbot, Steamed Broccoli, Eggs, Brown Rice (Cal: 364)
Snacks: Tea (Cal: 50)
Cal: 820 Cal (-790 than 1440)

Exercise:
Rest Day

I was so sore yesterday! I thought it would be better today but damnn I'm so stiff. Still, I'm really excited for gym today!

23/09/2017 - Day 3

Food:
Breakfast: Wheetabix, Banana, Blueberries, Milk, Tea (Cal: )
Lunch: (Cal: )
Dinner: (Cal: )
Snacks: (Cal
Cal: Cal ( than 1440)

Exercise:
  • Squats (Weights: )
  • Deadlift (Weights: )
  • Standing Press (Weights: )
  • Bent Over Row (Weights: )
  • Close Grip Bench Press (Weights: )
  • Straight Bar or Incline Curls (Weights: )
  • Cable Crunches (Weights: )
im really confused- didnt you eat anything on day 3?
Ninja_R
Rep:
?
(Original post by CleverSquirrel)
im really confused- didnt you eat anything on day 3?
Ahh I am actually keeping up with the calorie goals and exercises. I keep forgetting to update here. Now it's piling up.
I wish I could copy MyFitnessPal data and paste it here.
Ninja_R
Rep:
?
UPDAAAATTTTTEEEEE

24/09/2017 - Day 4
Spoiler:
Show

Food:
Breakfast: 50 Cal
Lunch: 240 Cal
Dinner: 462 Cal
Snacks: 50 Cal
Cal: 802 Cal (-808than 1610)
Exercise: Rest

25/09/2017 - Day 5
Spoiler:
Show

Food:
Breakfast: 246 Cal
Lunch: 798 Cal
Dinner: 670 Cal
Snacks: 155 Cal
Cal: 1869 Cal (+198 than 1610)
Exercise:
  • Squats: 1x5 (15kg), 3x10 (5kg)
  • Bench Press: 5x6 (10kg)
  • Barbell Row: 5x8 (10kg)
  • Shoulder Shrug: 3x8 (10kg)
  • Tricep Extension: 3x8 (5kg)
  • Incline Curls: 3x8 (5kg) per arm.
  • Crunches 2x5 (25kg)
  • Lat Pulldown: 5x8 (20.3 kg)

26/09/2017 - Day 6
Spoiler:
Show

Cal Goal according to MyFitnessPal: 1850
Food:
Breakfast: 233 Cal
Lunch: 1110 Cal
Dinner: 611 Cal
Snacks: 50 Cal
Cal: 2004 Cal (+154 than 1850)

27/09/2017 - Day 7
Spoiler:
Show

Food:
Breakfast: 351 Cal
Lunch: 52 Cal
Dinner: 652 Cal
Snacks: 304 Cal
Cal: 1359 Cal (-546 than 1850)
Exercise:
  • Squats: 1x6 (20kg), 1x6 (25kg), 2x6 (30kg), 2x6 (35kg)
  • Deadlift: 1x6 (20kg), 2x6 (25kg), 2x6 (30kg)
  • Overhead Press: 1x5, 1x6, 3x10 (10kg)
  • Barbell Row: 5x10 (10kg)
  • Bench Press: 4x8 (15kg)
  • Incline Curls: 4x8 (5kg) per arm.
  • Cable Crunches 3x10 (17kg)
  • Lat Pulldown: 3x5, 1x10 (18kg), 1x5 (20.3 kg)

28/09/2017 - Day 8
Spoiler:
Show

Food:
Breakfast: 483 Cal
Lunch: 339 Cal
Dinner: 580 Cal
Snacks: 438 Cal
Cal: 1840 Cal (-10 than 1850)

29/09/2017 - Day 9
Spoiler:
Show

Food:
Breakfast: 575 Cal
Lunch: 207 Cal
Dinner: 448 Cal
Snacks: 206 Cal
Cal: 1436 Cal (-464 than 1610)
Exercise:
  • Squats: 1x6 (20kg), 2x6 (30kg) 2x6 (35kg), 1x5 (37.5kg)
  • Bench Press: 5x6 (15kg)
  • Barbell Row: 5x10 (10kg)
  • Shoulder Shrug: 5x10 (15kg)
  • Tricep Extension: 3x5 (6kg) - My triceps really hurt, like a sharp pain (How do I foam roll triceps? )
  • Incline Curls: 3x8 (4kg) per arm
  • Crunches 1x10 (6 kg)
  • Lat Pulldown: 3x8 (18kg)

I'm eating healthier and more regularly (or trying my best) - with lots of chicken, eggs, oats, spinach and stuff. Although it's sometimes hard to achieve the calories eating healthy. Confidence is improving at the gym, and I'm slowly increasing my weights for some exercises (and I'm doing them on my own without a friend with me hehehe )
Unistudent77
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Well done.
You don't need to eat so 'clean' though and you're in a deficit judging from those calorie stats which isn't ideal. Don't let your weight drop
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (155)
17.61%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (76)
8.64%
No I am happy with my course choice (522)
59.32%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (127)
14.43%

Watched Threads