amypops
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I'm doing Macbeth or gcses and I wanted to know how grade 8/9 revised for it. Did you make mindmaps and If so how did you categorise it, by scene or theme or character.
Plz give me an in depth explanation on how u revised for it thanks so much
quackers2003
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
lady Macbeth is fit af
Euci
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Sample papers
You could use these and 2017 papers
chaffinch
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Making mind maps does help, there are also lots of sites online which give lots of details of the characters. I ended up with an A* for my english lit exam, so I guess my revision worked for me. English is very difficult to revise for, so all you can really do is re read the book, learn annotations and I found that mind maps on large sheets of paper about characters helped a lot. Also, writing practice essays helps a lot. I wrote practice essays and handed then in to my teacher for her to mark, and luckily one of the practice essay questions I did came up in the exam which was good.
amypops
Rep:
?
(Original post by NBingham)
Sample papers
You could use these nd 2017 papers
Did u do gcses and wat did u get for eng Lang
amypops
Rep:
?
(Original post by amypops)
eng lit
Euci
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Q1: Yes I did do GCSEs
Q2: 5 in Eng Lang
B1feild
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'm doing Macbeth or gcses and I wanted to know how grade 8/9 revised for it. Did you make mindmaps and If so how did you categorise it, by scene or theme or character.
I got a grade 9 198/200 on English lit and I did macbeth too.
itslibby
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I got a grade 8 (9 on the Macbeth paper but my 7 on paper 2 meant I got an 8 overall).

Firstly, I would suggest if there’s any of it you don’t understand, eg particular scenes, then wach Mr Bruff’s translations on YouTube! Tbh, Mr bruff’s channel was a life saver for me, i never would have got an 8 if it wasn’t for him!

I personally don’t like mind maps, so I made essay plans in the form of bullet points. I did one for every theme and one for every character, and I each one I had a few headings/topic sentences and then bullet pointed a brief overview of what I may put in a paragraph. I feel like this really helped as it made me more confident with knowing the key info for all of the themes and characters, however if I’d started earlier then I would have liked to have learnt my essay plans tbh. (If you prefer mind maps then you could make an essay plan into a mindmap)

I would also suggest picking some key scenes to annotate, and then summarise at the bottom what you would write about (perhaps giving yourself an essay style question to base your annotations on). Personally I found this really useful as it meant I got quicker at annotating the key information; a skill which came in handy in the exam!

My next piece of advice would be to pick some key quotations, and practice analysing them in depth. This will deepen your understand of the play, and if you learn the analysis of a few quotes then you’ll almost certainly be able to write about at least one of them during the exam since there are many quotes that relate to multiple themes.

As well as quotes, make sure you know some context, structural features, and the form/genre of Macbeth. This is where many people miss out their marks, so if you’re struggling with this then go onto mr Bruff’s channel.

Finally, I would suggest that you do practice timed essays. I think this is the most important one of all since you don’t get very long in the exam to do your essay, so you need to practice planning and writing essays within the time limit. If possible get your teacher to mark a few, so that you can see where you’re going wrong.

Good luck! Pm me if there’s anything else I might be able to help with
MatthewGrimsley
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I think understanding the book is one of the key parts, you can do all the revision in the world but if you don’t understand it you won’t get far. I got decent revision notes for my book of mice and men of the student room too. Good luck
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (631)
33.56%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (792)
42.13%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (373)
19.84%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (84)
4.47%

Watched Threads