The Student Room Group

Medical A Levels

I just picked my a levels this year and I'm unsure if they are suitable for medicine. I'm thinking of getting into Imperial, Queen Mary (because they just lowered and changed their requirements) or Kings College for an extended medical degree (since my school isn't a performing state school) My A Levels are Biology, Chemistry and Art. The Universities I want to get into state that the third A Level can be anything except Critical Thinking or General Studies but I'm not sure if these will suffice. I picked Art because I think it will be an easy A for me. Plus I thought Universities might like seeing an A Level that is different and unique from other candidates. Our first year of Art is curriculum based but for our second year it is a personal study. I was thinking for my second year I might do my project around human biology. Will all of this be good enough for medicine? It really is my dream to become a doctor. Thanks.
Original post by jungshook
I picked Art because I think it will be an easy A for me.

This is the problem.

If you took it, because you are a prolific artist in your spare time, have a deep love for the subject both academically and personally, and enjoy finding links between it, and your proposed course of study and career in medicine...fine. It's unusual, and perhaps may limit your choices slightly, but a reasonable decision otherwise and a fairly defensible position to hold.

However aking it because you think it will be easy is a) fallacious, as Art tends to require much more work on average than a comparable "academic" subject throughout the year, and b) disingenuous, as you are very likely to be asked about your unusual choice and if you aren't able to suitably defend it, with examples why it is better than another STEM subject or an academic humanities/social science subject, the admissions tutors will probably spot this reason.

Following from this, medicine is not a course or profession you can "coast" by in - it's an extremely academically rigorous undergraduate course, and a very demanding profession, even in "9-5" specialties (which often competition rates rivalling those of surgical specialties, although to a slightly lesser degree in the UK than the US), which requires a great deal of personal commitment and fortitude - something the admission tutors are looking for, in addition to academic strength.

I would suggest taking a STEM subject as your priorities in taking the alternate route are not sound, and it's more likely to serve as suitable preparation for you personally.
(edited 6 years ago)
I just picked my a levels this year and I'm unsure if they are suitable for medicine. I'm thinking of getting into Imperial, Queen Mary (because they just lowered and changed their requirements) or Kings College for an extended medical degree (since my school isn't a performing state school) My A Levels are Biology, Chemistry and Art. The Universities I want to get into state that the third A Level can be anything except Critical Thinking or General Studies but I'm not sure if these will suffice. I picked Art because I think it will be an easy A for me. Plus I thought Universities might like seeing an A Level that is different and unique from other candidates. Our first year of Art is curriculum based but for our second year it is a personal study. I was thinking for my second year I might do my project around human biology. Will all of this be good enough for medicine? It really is my dream to become a doctor. Thanks.

I can't see it being an issue - I don't know of any medical schools which specifically exclude art A level. As you say, they are very clear about not counting general studies or critical thinking, but I don't think there's a universal policy on art, music etc. If you want to be completely sure, you could email the universities you're thinking of applying to. I think they will have had comparatively few applicants offering art A level in the past, but I doubt they will tell you you can't apply.

You could mention your planned biology related art project at interview if they ask you about art A level. Doing an art project on human biology won't increase your chances of getting an offer, but if it's something you're interested in and passionate about then it could certainly be an interesting talking point.
Reply 3
Original post by artful_lounger
This is the problem.

If you took it, because you are a prolific artist in your spare time, have a deep love for the subject both academically and personally, and enjoy finding links between it, and your proposed course of study and career in medicine...fine. It's unusual, and perhaps may limit your choices slightly, but a reasonable decision otherwise and a fairly defensible position to hold.

However aking it because you think it will be easy is a) fallacious, as Art tends to require much more work on average than a comparable "academic" subject throughout the year, and b) disingenuous, as you are very likely to be asked about your unusual choice and if you aren't able to suitably defend it, with examples why it is better than another STEM subject or an academic humanities/social science subject, the admissions tutors will probably spot this reason.

Following from this, medicine is not a course or profession you can "coast" by in - it's an extremely academically rigorous undergraduate course, and a very demanding profession, even in "9-5" specialties (which often competition rates rivalling those of surgical specialties, although to a slightly lesser degree in the UK than the US), which requires a great deal of personal commitment and fortitude - something the admission tutors are looking for, in addition to academic strength.

I would suggest taking a STEM subject as your priorities in taking the alternate route are not sound, and it's more likely to serve as suitable preparation for you personally.

I may have improperly phrased my question. Saying that Art is an easy A is disrespectful towards people who are passionate about it to which I apologise. It indeed was an insensitive thing for me to say. However I do love Art. With a passion. I love how pigment on paper can bring alive elements of life. And comparing that to the field of medicine and how the whole career revolves around preserving life is what also attracted me to the course. Although being a doctor was a dream that has been building up until now, Art also holds a special place in my heart. I understand the burdens and hardships that come with it and I am ready to face them. am fully aware of the fact that Medicine isn't a course one can just "coast" by in. I have thought for years about this course and after countless research I think it is ideal for me. I just couldn't really find much on medical students taking art as A Level. I do however agree that I may need to develop my reasoning as to why I picked Art instead of any other STEM subject. I may consider my options again. Than you for your answer. Really appreciate it.
Reply 4
Original post by Democracy
I can't see it being an issue - I don't know of any medical schools which specifically exclude art A level. As you say, they are very clear about not counting general studies or critical thinking, but I don't think there's a universal policy on art, music etc. If you want to be completely sure, you could email the universities you're thinking of applying to. I think they will have had comparatively few applicants offering art A level in the past, but I doubt they will tell you you can't apply.

You could mention your planned biology related art project at interview if they ask you about art A level. Doing an art project on human biology won't increase your chances of getting an offer, but if it's something you're interested in and passionate about then it could certainly be an interesting talking point.

Yeah I might do just that. Not sure if they would reply to my email though but Its worth a try. I did have a feeling that it wouldn't increase my chances of getting an offer but I thought it would be interested for the interview like you said. Do you have any other good alternative A Level that might make me stand out? I actually read somewhere that Hull York encourages applicants who have done Art as an Level so maybe other places might find it interesting. Thank you for your answer.
Yeah I might do just that. Not sure if they would reply to my email though but Its worth a try. I did have a feeling that it wouldn't increase my chances of getting an offer but I thought it would be interested for the interview like you said. Do you have any other good alternative A Level that might make me stand out? I actually read somewhere that Hull York encourages applicants who have done Art as an Level so maybe other places might find it interesting. Thank you for your answer.

It's their job to reply :p: If they don't, phone them up. You need to email/call the medical school admissions office.

You need biology, chemistry and another subject which you like and think you can get an A in. It doesn't need to be anything niche to make you stand out, just something you can do well in.
I just couldn't really find much on medical students taking art as A Level. I do however agree that I may need to develop my reasoning as to why I picked Art instead of any other STEM subject. I may consider my options again. Than you for your answer. Really appreciate it.

From what i've seen, A-level students applying for medicine usually take Biology and Chemistry (pretty much because they are compulsory), then start exploring other interests in their remaining subjects. When I applied, I chose Bio-Chem-Physics-Maths. Because I was really passionate about general science, enjoyed maths...it was the best way to guarantee doing well for me, and not boring myself out of Sixth form. Now i'm really interested in politics and languages, apparently (you can discover stuff like this at uni).

Maths is usually a good and common third choice because it complements some areas of Biology and chemistry-namely, it gets you used to doing calculations a lot. But I think a lot of medical schools are looking for people who "broaden their horizons". I know plenty of people who took english or english literature A-level who I applied for medicine alongside. So for me, choosing an "arty" subject wouldnt be viewed as a disadvantage. In an interview, if you can justify your subject interest, I dont see how its disadvantageous.
Reply 7
Original post by QuentinM
I think a lot of medical schools are looking for people who "broaden their horizons". I know plenty of people who took english or english literature A-level who I applied for medicine alongside. So for me, choosing an "arty" subject wouldnt be viewed as a disadvantage. In an interview, if you can justify your subject interest, I dont see how its disadvantageous.

I guess I was just scared that it wouldn't prove to be suitable. But your answer relieves me. I'll contact my uni choices hopefully they won't disagree either. Thank you for your answer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending