The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
One Love
Hi, im moving to leeds on the 18th sept to study economics... I just wondered if there are any clubs that mainly play indie music like the stone roses, oasis, the music, the happy mondays etc. Im coming from Manchester therefore im used to a relatively large indie scene... i hope leeds is the same.

Cheers.

Try Star at Leeds Met union on a friday night. That tends to be quite a big indie night
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 2
One Love
Hi, im moving to leeds on the 18th sept to study economics... I just wondered if there are any clubs that mainly play indie music like the stone roses, oasis, the music, the happy mondays etc. Im coming from Manchester therefore im used to a relatively large indie scene... i hope leeds is the same.

Cheers.

I'm doing economics too! :smile:
Reply 3
Sorry to hijac the tread but...

...what about r'n'b scene? is there any good nights out?
Reply 4
omar.r
Sorry to hijac the tread but...

...what about r'n'b scene? is there any good nights out?

I damn well hope so!
Reply 5
Everywhere has that sort of scene, so i wouldn't worry. I'm more for the indie scene but a total variation is always good!
Reply 6
Apparentely it does.. when me & my friend went there a couple of weeks ago there were loads of posters etc for indie clubs and stuff in leeds. should be good :smile:
Reply 7
I think theres roughly 2-3clubs for indie, but it does cover rock and punk as well.

The uni's always have live bands on in the unions as well, usually weekends i think.

RnB seen is everywhere, but in some places mixed into dance and cheese also.
Reply 8
Cheers people, just wanted to know that i wasn't going to be the only indie kid around!
Reply 9
emma_
I'm doing economics too! :smile:

Cool... economics all the way!
Reply 10
hi one love,
I am a big fan of indie music as well. There aren't many indie clubs in Leeds but you can try to go to the Cockpit (under the rail bridge) on Friday night. At Leeds uni, the second Saturday of each month is Brighton Beach. Also there is another small club near the Corn Exchange which is really good. I can't remember the name but Thursday is student night. Hope this helps. Look forward to see you around in Econ Lectures or at the indie clubs!
Reply 11
contie
hi one love,
I am a big fan of indie music as well. There aren't many indie clubs in Leeds but you can try to go to the Cockpit (under the rail bridge) on Friday night. At Leeds uni, the second Saturday of each month is Brighton Beach. Also there is another small club near the Corn Exchange which is really good. I can't remember the name but Thursday is student night. Hope this helps. Look forward to see you around in Econ Lectures or at the indie clubs!

Cheers mate, im sure i'll see you around.
Reply 12
Yeah there's brighton beach which goes all over the place - although the one in sheffield (where i'm from) was a bit crap imho, but that was probably cos of the venue - the city hall always seemed a bit bright and school-disco like...

I've also heard good reviews of the cockpit despite it sounding like some sort of gay bar.

Louis
Reply 13
contie
hi one love,

Star at the Uni is an amazing night, I love it there! Cockpit is kind of like Star, but just smaller. They both have a couple of rooms that play indie and the like in one, metal in another, that kind of thing. There's also Josephs Well, an indie bar and gig venue, near the hospital, which gets some of the smaller bands - Oceansize, X is loaded, Mclusky, and The Boxer Rebellion all play there this month. Bar Phono, Strawbs, Basement, and Fab cafe attract a lot of "indie kids" too. So basically, yeah - Leeds is not bad for that kind of thing :smile:
Reply 14
try Bar Phono in the merrion centre. may be slightly more rock-tilted than indie though. Star is pants. the first and last time I went they played fecking Eminem and Dre in a "ska/punk room". the only advantage of being at LMU was that shots were £1 to nullify the tedium...
Reply 15
I'm an American student that plans to come to England with a friend of mine spring of 2006 for a semester. I am able to choose bewteen Leeds, Warwick, and UCL, but I'm more and more liking the idea of being in London. I'd like to know what the lifestyle is like in comparison between the three. What's the general reputation of each school in one sentence?

Also, I'm a huge fan of the Manchester/Factory music and club scene so would I be able to make it up there easily from UCL? from Leeds? I heard Leeds is undergoing a renaissance - is that true?
Leeds has a HUGE independent music scene, independent record stores everywhere and gigs happen almost nightly. There's a live band circuit that is well worth checking out, Joseph's Well plays host to a lot of 'alternative' big name acts.
Reply 17
Loads of bands play Leeds.

Check out www.leedsgigs.co.uk and www.leedsmusicscene.co.uk for more info :smile:
Reply 18
Leeds has an amazing up and coming and well established indie scene!! Try the Cockpit. Faversham, Bar Phono, Basement, Star and Wendyhouse - think all of them have web pages so just google em!
The Cockpit is head and shoulders the best
Wednesday night they have "Panic" and Friday they have "Session", these are the best nights, they tend to have one room with more classic stuff like Stone Roses, Oasis, Pulp, Blur, Inspiral Carpets, New Order, Joy Division, Happy Mondays etc and another room playing Libertines, Kaiser Chiefs, The Coral, Kasabian, The Music, Franz Ferdinand and so on

Star - one room of metal and punk, another room of indie. Music not bad, although not as good as the Cockpit but the thing with Star is it tends to be very much a 1st year student type thing so has a school-disco feel to it with teenagers wandering round trying to pull each other. Cockpit is a bit more underground and hard core ish and has a lot more locals and tends to be a bit older in profile. I guess if you're only casual indie fan Star would be a more fun night out because Cockpit can seem a bit full on.

The Bassment, Bar Phono in the Merrion Centre do some indie nights, Fuzzy Logic on Thursdays at Bassment for example. On weekends Bar Phono tends to be a bit goth-mosher.

Think Tank? is smallish club that does some decent nights

but yeah, Leeds does have a good indie scene
just bear in mind if someone tells you "Creation has an indie room on a Wednesday", its the crappest place in Leeds

Latest