The Student Room Group

Second day and I already hate it?!

Alright so this might seem a little kneejerk but seriously, it's been two absolutely terrible days so far as far as my uni experience goes.
the halls am in are terrible, the food so far has been disappointing though I don't really care about the food if I'm honest. The state of the bed in my room is probably my biggest issue the mattress is saggy and has got a big deep in the middle making it almost impossible for me to sleep on (especially as I sleep on my stomach) I've literally only slept for about 2 hours in the last 40, I haven't complained to the warden yet probably will do tomorrow but I'm not expecting much he seems like he's really not that bothered about the students.

And still probably most importantly I still haven't made any friends, been feeling so alone these past few days it's been killing me (along with the lack of sleep). a few hours ago some of my flat mates knocked on my door saying they were knocking on everyone's door so we get to know each other and whatnot, so we went to the common area etc and chatted for a bit think literally everyone else in the room was English (I'm from Austria) and of course I've got no problem whatsoever with that but at the same time I felt a bit left out, perhaps the language barrier or culture (I told one of them I'm not a big drinker) I dunno it's just felt a bit awkward after a while. they also asked me wether I'd like to go on a club with them and I said I'm knackered but why not I suppose that makes it sound like I couldnt really be bothered does it? So after a while everyone left the common area and as they didn't tell me to follow them or join them or whatever I didn't and here I am now stuck again alone on my room, having no one to talk to and I doubt these guys will knock on my door again so I'm basically fecked. Hopefully I'll at least manage to sort my bed out Tonorrow, am pretty sure I won't manage to make any friends though as am not really into drinking (plus I'm 17) and I've now probably wasted my only chance. this is gonna be a long night.

PS. I'm only posting this as I felt like venting tbh but I'd also appreciate any advice or any honest comment on my halls experiences so far.
Original post by Weeping Angel
Alright so this might seem a little kneejerk but seriously, it's been two absolutely terrible days so far as far as my uni experience goes.
the halls am in are terrible, the food so far has been disappointing though I don't really care about the food if I'm honest. The state of the bed in my room is probably my biggest issue the mattress is saggy and has got a big deep in the middle making it almost impossible for me to sleep on (especially as I sleep on my stomach) I've literally only slept for about 2 hours in the last 40, I haven't complained to the warden yet probably will do tomorrow but I'm not expecting much he seems like he's really not that bothered about the students.

And still probably most importantly I still haven't made any friends, been feeling so alone these past few days it's been killing me (along with the lack of sleep). a few hours ago some of my flat mates knocked on my door saying they were knocking on everyone's door so we get to know each other and whatnot, so we went to the common area etc and chatted for a bit think literally everyone else in the room was English (I'm from Austria) and of course I've got no problem whatsoever with that but at the same time I felt a bit left out, perhaps the language barrier or culture (I told one of them I'm not a big drinker) I dunno it's just felt a bit awkward after a while. they also asked me wether I'd like to go on a club with them and I said I'm knackered but why not I suppose that makes it sound like I couldnt really be bothered does it? So after a while everyone left the common area and as they didn't tell me to follow them or join them or whatever I didn't and here I am now stuck again alone on my room, having no one to talk to and I doubt these guys will knock on my door again so I'm basically fecked. Hopefully I'll at least manage to sort my bed out Tonorrow, am pretty sure I won't manage to make any friends though as am not really into drinking (plus I'm 17) and I've now probably wasted my only chance. this is gonna be a long night.

PS. I'm only posting this as I felt like venting tbh but I'd also appreciate any advice or any honest comment on my halls experiences so far.

For a start, you're overreacting. But it's normal to have these doubts.

I am sure they will knock again tomorrow asking if you're okay. And if you're trying to keep up with the language then it's difficult to follow when people are leaving like that.

Your uni should have an under 18s group or something where you can find people in the same situation as yourself.

If it's bothering you that much (though you're probably just adapting your sleeping to a different bed) then you should maybe consider paying for a new mattress.

I've popped your thread into this section to make sure that you get the replies you're after.:smile:
the halls am in are terrible, the food so far has been disappointing though I don't really care about the food if I'm honest. The state of the bed in my room is probably my biggest issue the mattress is saggy and has got a big deep in the middle making it almost impossible for me to sleep on (especially as I sleep on my stomach)i I've literally only slept for about 2 hours in the last 40, I haven't complained to the warden yet probably will do tomorrow but I'm not expecting much he seems like he's really not that bothered about the students.

Just ask them one night, if they are going out drinking as your up for it. Yes ur underage but u will probably get away with it.
Reply 3
Have you looked into joining any societies? Even if you don't mix well with the people in halls, societies are a great way to meet like minded people. Plus I'm sure your flatmates will ask you again tomorrow, you shouldn't feel obliged to drink, but sometimes hanging around for predrinks is a good way to break the ice and feel more comfortable around everyone. :smile:
If you feel like there's a language or culture barrier, ask if there's any society for people in the same situation! I don't know how common Austrian societies are but uni is scary enough for people who are from the UK so I imagine starting uni AND coming to a new country is pretty terrifying! Go you for actually following through and making it this far though.

Even if there are no societies for international students, you could always join something that simply interests you. Most unis have loads to offer.

And you think your bed is bad? My matress was so thin I could feel the metal bars of the bedframe digging into my ribs and hips and I got bruises from it! My room was also away from everyone elses so I was quite isolated. The only saving grace is that I didn't have bars on my window (no joke, I knew people that did).

As for friends, you're only a few days in. You haven't even started your course properly yet. I didn't really get on with anyone in my block in first year but I did meet people I got on with on my course. You have to put yourself out there a bit though, go and say hi to people. They won't always come and say hi to you because they're just as nervous and unsure!! You'll meet people who won't be into the same things as you but there's so many people at uni there WILL be someone with common interests. I know how lonely it can be, as do a lot of people on here. You're not alone.

Don't worry about your 'knackered' comment. I don't think anyway will have taken too much from it, besides it wouldn't be surprising if moving to the UK from Austria to start a new life WAS pretty tiring! Why didn't you go out of the common room area and ask where they were going? People won't always just automatically invite you I'm afraid.

Don't worry about not drinking, I don't drink and know quite a few people that don't. I've never been pressured to do something I don't want to whilst at uni.

The best thing about the first few weeks (besides not much work) is that you can approach people and talk to them without them thinking 'why's this random guy talking to me?'. Use that time to your advantage! Don't worry about seeming too friendly or weird, people meet so many people in the first few weeks that they've forgotten most people who they didn't stay friends with. Try not to overreact or do anything rash whilst you're still in early stages with high emotions.

It's normal to feel lonely and unsure at the start. But if it goes on for more than a month, go and talk to your tutor. Then you've had a little longer to see if things get better, you'll know how much you like the course, other aspects of student life, etc. and you can weigh up if your experience is good or bad and decide what to do from there
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 5
The state of the bed in my room is probably my biggest issue the mattress is saggy and has got a big deep in the middle making it almost impossible for me to sleep on (especially as I sleep on my stomach) I've literally only slept for about 2 hours in the last 40, I haven't complained to the warden yet probably will do tomorrow but I'm not expecting much he seems like he's really not that bothered about the students.

The warden is typically responsible for pastoral care and discipline in halls (generally a warden is a member of the academic staff of the university), so he won't be involved in issues like the condition of your bed. There will normally be a "hall manager" (sometimes called a "domestic bursar") who will be responsible for things like furniture and maintenance of the buildings, and that's the person you need to contact.

There will normally be a hall office or a porter/reception desk. Ask there and they should be able to point you in the right direction.
firstly, thanks to everyone who replied!

So a little update - i managed to sleep for about 5-6 hours last night which is quite decent felt sort of refreshed in the morning. What I did was completely remove the mattress from the bed lay it down the floor put the duvet above and an extra sheet, made a big difference and though still kinda uncofrtable I managed to get a solid nights sleep (although it might just need getting used to as someone said, as my mattress back home is very firm), I also complained to the warden about the bed and he said they'll look into it so fingers crossed he also told me to go to the reception after 7 and report it so I'm gonna do just that now....
so yeah I only came back a few hours ago from some shopping I had to do in the city centre (I absolutely love the city!) and back to the halls it just feels like my floor is deserted lol, no ones in the kitchen or the common area and I have no idea wether they knocked on my door or sth as I was away from about 12pm. thing is I realise I should have probably asked them where they were off to when they left yesterday and if I am to make any friends in halls I'll now probably have to go out and seek them myself am not comfortable with that not even in my home country thus it's extra difficult for me here. am not making any excuses mind just telling it as it is.

I'll have a look in the societies tomorrow although I doubt there's any kind of Austrian ppl society in the uni or sth like that, hopefully I'll find one that I'm fond of and I'll be able to join. Although I'm still unsure on how they work but yeah I'll go the Students Union and see for myself tomorrow.

so am gonna try my best tonight in regards to talking to my flat mates when I see them, and if it doesn't work out ,well I guess like PollyParrot said its not the end of the world right, as I can make friends from my course (which hasn't properly started yet) or perhaps societies? We'll see I guess. I think I'll make this thready my uni diary lol (hopefully with loads of chapters to come) if that's alright and if anyone feels like chipping in you're always welcome. :smile:
Re-apply somewhere else immediately but continue with the year you are on and if you still don't like it you get to go somewhere else next year.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending