Parents don't support my career choice... Watch

HisMajesty_Kwabz
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi everyone,

I want to study English, Drama, Politics and Media at A-Level so that I can progress to a Drama and English Joint Honours at Birmingham University, with the hope of pursuing a career in Journalism, Media or PR.

However, my parents aren't so supportive of this idea. Every time I try to talk to them about it, they always try and find some way to discourage me from doing it. They say things like Journalism and Media careers are 'unprofessional', 'low-paid' and 'only for less intelligent people'.

They ultimately want me to become an accountant, which, in my opinion, is never going to happen (mostly because I hate maths and I'm not very good at it.)

It's just so upsetting that my parents are so unsupportive of my future prospects. Part of me thinks that they only want me to do accounting because my dad did it when he left school; while another thinks that they are worried of what people would think of them if they found out their son wasn't doing a STEM superjob.

They probably don't even care if I like it or not - all they care about is money and prestige - something that they should have worked for while they were still able to get jobs.

I don't wanna be living the rest of my life doing a job I hate just for the approval of my parents. They claim that they know today's job market (even though my mum is unemployed) and say that if I did accounting, I could easily get into a job and riches would fall at my feet (something that's not true in any job; not even science!)

I'm basically ranting now and I'm so sorry about that. But I don't want to ruin my relationship with my parents just because I want to do something a bit less traditional. I spoke about it with my mum today and she went so far as to make exclaims of disgust! It hurt me so much that I wished I had different, more supportive parents.

So what do I say to them? How do I let them know that this is what I want to do with my life?
iodo345
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Don't do accounting or allow yourself to be pressured into it if you hate it. You will hate university and drop out.

The only thing I can think of is when it comes to applying to university discuss this with a teacher that is supportive and will take your side when discussing university options with your parents to hopefully persuade them.

The way I judge life is to imagine yourself on your death bed thinking about everything you regret rather than feeling happy that you didn't care what others thought and spent your life doing what you loved.
HisMajesty_Kwabz
Rep:
?
(Original post by iodo345)
Don't do accounting or allow yourself to be pressured into it if you hate it. You will hate university and drop out.

The only thing I can think of is when it comes to applying to university discuss this with a teacher that is supportive and will take your side when discussing university options with your parents to hopefully persuade them.

The way I judge life is to imagine yourself on your death bed thinking about everything you regret rather than feeling happy that you didn't care what others thought and spent your life doing what you loved.
Thanks so much!
cheesecakelove
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I think you really have to follow your path - it is your life to make your own choices. Your parents cannot force you to do anything. If you work hard and show dedication to your career, they are bound to accept it sooner or later.

I don't think your parents are trying to be cruel, they want the best for you and are worried for your future by not doing a subject like accounting. They wouldn't hate you, it is their way of persuading you to change.Maybe they don't know a lot about the prospects of a degree like journalism/media? If you can find a way to put their worries at ease, their attitudes should change.
Skyewoods
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by HisMajesty_Kwabz)
Hi everyone,

I want to study English, Drama, Politics and Media at A-Level so that I can progress to a Drama and English Joint Honours at Birmingham University, with the hope of pursuing a career in Journalism, Media or PR.

However, my parents aren't so supportive of this idea. Every time I try to talk to them about it, they always try and find some way to discourage me from doing it. They say things like Journalism and Media careers are 'unprofessional', 'low-paid' and 'only for less intelligent people'.

They ultimately want me to become an accountant, which, in my opinion, is never going to happen (mostly because I hate maths and I'm not very good at it.)

It's just so upsetting that my parents are so unsupportive of my future prospects. Part of me thinks that they only want me to do accounting because my dad did it when he left school; while another thinks that they are worried of what people would think of them if they found out their son wasn't doing a STEM superjob.

They probably don't even care if I like it or not - all they care about is money and prestige - something that they should have worked for while they were still able to get jobs.

I don't wanna be living the rest of my life doing a job I hate just for the approval of my parents. They claim that they know today's job market (even though my mum is unemployed) and say that if I did accounting, I could easily get into a job and riches would fall at my feet (something that's not true in any job; not even science!)

I'm basically ranting now and I'm so sorry about that. But I don't want to ruin my relationship with my parents just because I want to do something a bit less traditional. I spoke about it with my mum today and she went so far as to make exclaims of disgust! It hurt me so much that I wished I had different, more supportive parents.

So what do I say to them? How do I let them know that this is what I want to do with my life?
What your parents are saying is fair even if it is not in a nice way. What they are trying to say is that they want you to be able to get a stable job when to graduate.

This is reasonable to say. Journalism is very competitive and few people actually get in so pick something that you won't regret when looking for jobs. It doesn't have to be an accountant. I'm sure you're parents will be happy knowing you're pursuing an employable degree that you enjoy
HisMajesty_Kwabz
Rep:
?
(Original post by Skyewoods)
What your parents are saying is fair even if it is not in a nice way. What they are trying to say is that they want you to be able to get a stable job when to graduate.

This is reasonable to say. Journalism is very competitive and few people actually get in so pick something that you won't regret when looking for jobs. It doesn't have to be an accountant. I'm sure you're parents will be happy knowing you're pursuing an employable degree that you enjoy
I understand that, but when I think about it, there's not much else that I'm interested in. Therefore, it's hard for me to find a stable job that relates to this sector.
MathMan+C
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
i get the feeling your parents are asian?
EnterNamehereplz
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi everyone,

At the end of the day being happy is the most important. Interesting story I knew of 2 very bright students in GCSE. One went into Stem and one went into English, sociology etc. Both were smart had all A's. The smarter student had picked the non stem subjects and he is kind of pissed that he doesn't earn much and isn'y happy because of that where as the Stem guy became a doctor and gets a lot of respect. What I am trying to say is do what makes you happy however pay and status in the world most likely will impact your happiness.
HisMajesty_Kwabz
Rep:
?
(Original post by MathMan+C)
i get the feeling your parents are asian?
African...
anitadhm_.
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi everyone,

Hey, i’m in the same boat as well😢. I want to study travel and tourism/ cabin crew however my parents are telling me to do something else. i really want to be cabin crew but my parents aren’t supportive of the idea🤦🏾*♀️
HisMajesty_Kwabz
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by anitadhm_.)
Hey, i’m in the same boat as well😢. I want to study travel and tourism/ cabin crew however my parents are telling me to do something else. i really want to be cabin crew but my parents aren’t supportive of the idea🤦🏾*♀️
I'm really sorry about this.

My career prospects have changed since I made this post; I think it's all about your parents wanting what is best for you.

Have you spoken to them about why they don't want you to be cabin crew? What else are your parents telling you to do? Cos to me cabin crew sounds like an awesome job! (my younger brother wants to be a pilot)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (144)
19.62%
Labour (372)
50.68%
Liberal Democrats (101)
13.76%
Green Party (37)
5.04%
Brexit Party (9)
1.23%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (3)
0.41%
SNP (14)
1.91%
Plaid Cymru (3)
0.41%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (6)
0.82%
SDLP (1)
0.14%
Ulster Unionist (4)