The Student Room Group

Postgraduate Loan eligibility for Traveller

Hi all, I was wondering if anyone could help.
I am hoping to study on a Masters course starting September 2019.
Looking in to Postgraduate Loans from SFE, to be eligible for one it says:
"you’ve been living in the UK, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man for 3 years before starting your course"
It also basically says the same thing in the guidance for a Career Development Loan.
I am currently travelling Australia, and will be visiting India and South America before returning to the UK in April 2019.
I have lived in England all my life and will continue to live there after my travels.
My question is: does travelling around the world for 2 years class as 'living' outside of the UK?
I still have a UK bank account and am registered at my mum's address in the UK for postal purposes etc.
My point is, all of my work and accommodation contracts are temporary. I will not be permanently based anywhere but the UK.
I hope this makes sense.

Thanks,

Hayley
Original post by Halogee
Hi all, I was wondering if anyone could help.
I am hoping to study on a Masters course starting September 2019.
Looking in to Postgraduate Loans from SFE, to be eligible for one it says:
"you’ve been living in the UK, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man for 3 years before starting your course"
It also basically says the same thing in the guidance for a Career Development Loan.
I am currently travelling Australia, and will be visiting India and South America before returning to the UK in April 2019.
I have lived in England all my life and will continue to live there after my travels.
My question is: does travelling around the world for 2 years class as 'living' outside of the UK?
I still have a UK bank account and am registered at my mum's address in the UK for postal purposes etc.
My point is, all of my work and accommodation contracts are temporary. I will not be permanently based anywhere but the UK.
I hope this makes sense.

Thanks,

Hayley

You need to prove to them your absence from the UK is only temporary and that it remains your residence. Things to do with your address and evidence such as a return plane ticket or things that emphasise the temp nature of your trip will help. That should be fine.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/assessing-ordinary-residence-nationality-policy-guidance
Original post by Halogee

If you are permanently based in the UK, with bank account, address etc, do you have to tell them about holidays, no matter how long?
Not 2 week summer holidays but 2 years continuous travel, clearly yes..
Reply 4
Original post by 999tigger
You need to prove to them your absence from the UK is only temporary and that it remains your residence. Things to do with your address and evidence such as a return plane ticket or things that emphasise the temp nature of your trip will help. That should be fine.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/assessing-ordinary-residence-nationality-policy-guidance

That's a great help, thank you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending