The Student Room Group

Newcastle university for BDS help !

So I am an international student thinking of applying to Kings, Bristol, Newcastle and Sheffield for Dentistry in 2018.
My IB year one scores are 36/42 and my predicted scores are 38/42 , and my year 10 results are 89% (haven't done GCSES)
I scores 2720 in my UKCAT with 680 average, and thus i made these choices but now that i have been doing some research my score seems low for Newcastle , and I'm unsure if I should still think of Newcastle as an option. Can someone pleaseeeeeee help? Also Pls look at my other university choices also and maybe advice if I'm being too aspirational??
Also my work experience goes like : 6 months at a GDP, shadowed an oral surgeon and watched a wisdom teeth removal surgery, an implant surgery, 3 months shadowed a cancer surgeon at a cancer research hospital , worked 3 months at an NGO teaching kids English in a village, and lastly volunteered in a blood donation drive. I have alot more extra curriculars which are non healthcare related too,

Thanks in advance!!

Scroll to see replies

I can't speak for the other universities but definitely apply to KCL. They look at applications holistically so if you put all the work experience and other activities you've done into an amazing personal statement, then you definitely stand a chance. You're UKCAT is also good for KCL and your academics look really good.

Good luck!
Original post by Mesopotamian.
I can't speak for the other universities but definitely apply to KCL. They look at applications holistically so if you put all the work experience and other activities you've done into an amazing personal statement, then you definitely stand a chance. You're UKCAT is also good for KCL and your academics look really good.

Good luck!

Honestly, this has risen my expectations for KCL up to a notch. KCL IS MY DREAM SCHOOL, and I am working soooooo hard just for it! But you know you gotta have safe alternatives 🌚 thank you so much for your message!!!!!!!!! What are you studying?
Original post by Arzooshaikh
Honestly, this has risen my expectations for KCL up to a notch. KCL IS MY DREAM SCHOOL, and I am working soooooo hard just for it! But you know you gotta have safe alternatives 🌚 thank you so much for your message!!!!!!!!! What are you studying?

I'm studying dentistry (first year) :smile:
I'm studying dentistry (first year) :smile:

That's great, in KCL?
That's great, in KCL?

No, QMUL but I did apply to KCL so I know their admissions process.
Reply 6
Don't apply to Newcastle, it would be too risky with your UKCAT score (I know how it feels, I wanted to apply there but my UKCAT let me down too :frown: )
Do you mind telling me your stats?
Original post by Nottie
Don't apply to Newcastle, it would be too risky with your UKCAT score (I know how it feels, I wanted to apply there but my UKCAT let me down too :frown: )

Oh, so could you give an advice for a university that I could opt for instead of Newcastle that increase my chances? And did you apply for newcastle and got rejected, or you know their system of assessing students?

Thanks !
No, QMUL but I did apply to KCL so I know their admissions process.

GCSEs: 10A* 1A
AS: AAAA
Predictions: A*A*A*
UKCAT: 680 Band 1
Reply 11
Oh, so could you give an advice for a university that I could opt for instead of Newcastle that increase my chances? And did you apply for newcastle and got rejected, or you know their system of assessing students?

Thanks !

maybe Brighton? Though they might use BMAT these days.

Newcastle uses UKCAT as a cut off and usually the cut off is well above 700.

I didn't apply as I knew my UKCAT was too low. I got 707.5 and the cut off for my year (2014 entry) was 730
GCSEs: 10A* 1A
AS: AAAA
Predictions: A*A*A*
UKCAT: 680 Band 1

That's great! My predicted scores are equivalent to A*A*A, so where else did you apply and could suggest me to apply?
Original post by Nottie
maybe Brighton? Though they might use BMAT these days.

Newcastle uses UKCAT as a cut off and usually the cut off is well above 700.

I didn't apply as I knew my UKCAT was too low. I got 707.5 and the cut off for my year (2014 entry) was 730

But I have seen so many students getting interviews with scores like 670,680,690, so I was wondering that maybe they consider these students too? And when do they announce their cut off scores ?
That's great! My predicted scores are equivalent to A*A*A, so where else did you apply and could suggest me to apply?

Well I applied to KCL twice because they have another enhanced dentistry course on offer - but you can only apply if you are eligible which international students aren't unfortunately.

I also applied to QMUL and Cardiff. If you feel that your academics are to a high standard in your country then you could also apply to these universities too as our UKCAT scores are similar :smile:
Well I applied to KCL twice because they have another enhanced dentistry course on offer - but you can only apply if you are eligible which international students aren't unfortunately.

I also applied to QMUL and Cardiff. If you feel that your academics are to a high standard in your country then you could also apply to these universities too as our UKCAT scores are similar :smile:

Alright, thanks a ton! :smile:
Alright, thanks a ton! :smile:

No problem! I hope you don't mind me asking but are you from an Arab/Middle Eastern country?
Reply 17
But I have seen so many students getting interviews with scores like 670,680,690, so I was wondering that maybe they consider these students too? And when do they announce their cut off scores ?

After the deadline for application
No problem! I hope you don't mind me asking but are you from an Arab/Middle Eastern country?

I wish, but I'm from India 😅😭
Original post by Nottie
After the deadline for application

Oh, then I guess that's a big risk to take
Alright, á¹­hanks alot!

Quick Reply

Latest