tdart22
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hey Guys!
I have to write a 300 word PEA paragraph on how Romeo is presented in Romeo and Juliet. My class has only got up to Act 1 Scene 4 so the quotes and analysis etc have to be from before that point. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
brainzistheword
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by tdart22)
Hey Guys!
I have to write a 300 word PEA paragraph on how Romeo is presented in Romeo and Juliet. My class has only got up to Act 1 Scene 4 so the quotes and analysis etc have to be from before that point. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Hi, what have you got so far?

It might be best to gather a list of useful quotes up to the point you've read and then see which ones you can write about.
sophie080802
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Okay so, I'm year 11 and getting 8/9 grades in English Lit, and I think i can help you.
Act 1 scene 4 is Mercutio's Queen Mab speech, right? So you've not met juliet. Your best bet is to talk about Romeo's depressive state due to his unrequited love for Rosaline. Try and throw in courtly love, which is the idealised and stylised notion of love from medieval times which refers to the unattainable love between a lady and a knight (in Romeo's case, this is with Rosaline, and he cannot obtain her love due to her having sworn to stay chaste). You could also talk about how Romeo is a valued character as we hear about him from his parents and benvolio before we actually hear him speak.
Next, you'll need quotes to back up what you're going to say; I'd say R&J has some of the easiest quotes to learn, as many of them are very well known. Make sure to make a point, back it up with a quote and then pick the quote to pieces and analyse it to hell and back!! Some examples of quotes you could use:
'Black and portentous must this humor prove'
'Shuts up his windows, locks fair daylight out,
And makes himself an artificial night.'Talk about the constant reference to darkness, and night. This represents how romeo is depressed, but how when Juliet is introduced she shows romeo lightness ('oh speak again bright angel' 'oh she doth teach the torches to burn bright' etc).Also, you'll want to talk about Romeo's speech in A1S3 - this is filled with oxymorons and other representative linguistic devices! Remember, Shakespeare always put things in on purpose and with a good reason behind them. Also, make sure you say 'Shakespeare presents romeo as _____ by using _____.' Then give a quote regarding the subject. Make sure you then say what it could further show about romeo, but for high levels always give a second meaning, or alternative interpretation. Using suggestive language like 'perhaps', 'might' and 'could mean' always works in your favour.Good luck!! Be sure to PM me if you've got any questions or need any help!Soph xx
Ninakhadra1
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by sophie080802)
Okay so, I'm year 11 and getting 8/9 grades in English Lit, and I think i can help you.
Act 1 scene 4 is Mercutio's Queen Mab speech, right? So you've not met juliet. Your best bet is to talk about Romeo's depressive state due to his unrequited love for Rosaline. Try and throw in courtly love, which is the idealised and stylised notion of love from medieval times which refers to the unattainable love between a lady and a knight (in Romeo's case, this is with Rosaline, and he cannot obtain her love due to her having sworn to stay chaste). You could also talk about how Romeo is a valued character as we hear about him from his parents and benvolio before we actually hear him speak.
Next, you'll need quotes to back up what you're going to say; I'd say R&J has some of the easiest quotes to learn, as many of them are very well known. Make sure to make a point, back it up with a quote and then pick the quote to pieces and analyse it to hell and back!! Some examples of quotes you could use:
'Black and portentous must this humor prove'
'Shuts up his windows, locks fair daylight out,
And makes himself an artificial night.'Talk about the constant reference to darkness, and night. This represents how romeo is depressed, but how when Juliet is introduced she shows romeo lightness ('oh speak again bright angel' 'oh she doth teach the torches to burn bright' etc).Also, you'll want to talk about Romeo's speech in A1S3 - this is filled with oxymorons and other representative linguistic devices! Remember, Shakespeare always put things in on purpose and with a good reason behind them. Also, make sure you say 'Shakespeare presents romeo as _____ by using _____.' Then give a quote regarding the subject. Make sure you then say what it could further show about romeo, but for high levels always give a second meaning, or alternative interpretation. Using suggestive language like 'perhaps', 'might' and 'could mean' always works in your favour.Good luck!! Be sure to PM me if you've got any questions or need any help!Soph xx

Do you you think you could write an example essay on how mercutio is represented throughout the play. It would be great if this was of grade 9 standard.

I really beed need to see an example as I am currently achieving a 7 in lit but my target is a 9. And at the minute I know I will flop my exam this Friday which will alter my current grade for better or for worse. And I just really need it to go up to get into the sixth form I want to. It would be great help. Thank you xx
sophie080802
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey! My exam for English lit didn’t end up going as I had planned/hoped - I ended up getting a 7 which wasn’t was I was expecting, but that’s beside the point. I’m not sure I’m gonna have time to write an essay on mercutio in the play as I have three essay subjects at A Level which are currently bogging me down, but I’d be happy to help you if you have any questions! If you wanna PM me I’ll do my best to reply!😊
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Tue, 3 Mar '20
  • University of Bradford
    Postgraduate Open day/Evening Postgraduate
    Tue, 3 Mar '20
  • Queen's University Belfast
    Postgraduate LIVE Masters & PhD Study Fair Postgraduate
    Wed, 4 Mar '20

Do you get study leave?