GCSE PICKING- geography or dance pleasee help

Watch
Livvvvxx
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi!! So for my gcse options I have taken french, 3 sciences and history which are all very academic subjects. For my fourth option I am unsure between geography or dance. I was going to take geography from the start however my mum advised that I needed a lighter subject so I thought dance. There are pros and cons for both so it's hard to pick which one.
Dance: I enjoy dance and it involves coursework meaning I get some of the work out the way as with the new gcse there is no coursework other than for practical subjects. The thing I am worried about with dance is that I haven't always been amazing at dance in school as I do street dance outside of school. I am also not flexible and the group of people who I would go with in the group dance section are flexible so therefore I feel I would look bad against them.
Geography: I have always been good at geography especially because it involves a right or wrong answer. I sometimes enjoy it however not always the part about rivers- I might be able to make myself enjoy that part tbh lol. The reason I didn't take geography from the start was because it is another academic subject with my others and involves a lot of revising and so if I take it will it bring all my other subject marks down too?! The other good thing about geography compared to dance is that it is more beneficial for later life if I wanted to take geography as an a level etc
It's kind of between if I take the subject I enjoy or the subject I am good at. I may stress if I take the subject I enjoy (dance). I guess I could join some contemporary classes but idk. Or is it that I should take the subject I am good at but involves lots of revising?!
Please help thank you so much!

Pastelx
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I personally took French, History, 3 sciences and Art (and Ancient Greek as an extra) and I found it was really nice to have a less/non-academic subject mixed in there! I know with the old spec that the people taking Geography AND history were having mental breakdowns over the sheer amount of work during coursework period. Of course, as there is no coursework for you then you might be okay, but that combination of subjects is still a lot of work–certainly not unachievable to get good grades, but you have to put in the effort.

At GCSE, I really think it's worth doing subjects you enjoy rather than the subjects you think you're good at! I know there are a lot of TSR people who are very academic who would say "take geography because it opens doors and dance is a stupid GCSE" but I'd personally take the GCSE you enjoy if you have a passion for dance!
username1454260
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I did triple science, spanish, geography, history and graphics (and obviously english and maths too). I may be a bit bias because I'm an A-Level geography student, however, I just wanted to let you know that it is manageable to do mainly academic subjects. Like you said, geography is very beneficial for your future and if you're good at it (and enjoy it) then I'd recommend you take it I wouldn't worry so much about the workload because I can imagine you'll be able to handle it, as long as you balance everything right. So yeah, ultimately it's up to you but just think about what you're most interested in!
username3487172
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Geography is a traditional and well respected subject. A GCSE in Dance will be ignored by the vast majority of Universities.
NinjaUnicorn82
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Personally, I would say Geography. I am taking Geography on the new spec and I have been learning the course for a year now since my school starts GCSEs in Year 9. Speaking from experience, it is a relatively light subject in comparison to others. My other options are French, Economics, Computer Science and 3 Sciences and I can safely say that Geography is the least brain taxing.

Also, choosing Dance may not guarantee that you will be doing it since it isn't an extremely popular subject and many schools don't want to have a class with only a handful of students. This means that your reserve options would be looked at in this case, which may again lead to Geography.
chaffinch
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I would go for geography, its a much more impressive gcse than dance.
sophie080802
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I take French, history, geography and food tech. I’ve really enjoyed food tech as a break from my more academic subjects however the coursework has been relatively taxing. Personally, I think dane could be enjoyable although i do sway towards geography as a more academic and more ‘proper’ looking subject. Geography is quite easy in my opinion, as a lot of it is easy to learn definitions and applying them into pretty common sense scenarios! I enjoy geography a lot, and the fieldwork trips are usually really fun! If you need any more info or help with geography in the future please PM me! X
Imstudying...
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I did history, triple science, ict with other compulsory subjects (eng, maths, French, rs). To be honest, I actually liked doing academic stuff cos I knew I would fail at things like art. I guess it varies from person to person. I don’t think doing geography would add extra stress cos I think all GCSEs are equally stressful unless u re really good to the point that u can consistently get the top grade. I’d say take geography cos dance would be better if it was just ur hobby, taking a hobby at gcse might not be a good idea. U might not even like the things u re gonna learn. After all, GCSEs are about learning for exams.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 3 years ago
Geog unless you urgently need a stress reliever and are a very talented dander who will get A* and see a future in taking it further. None of that seems to apply. If you want dance then do it in extra curriculars.
username3563646
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I do the compulsory English Language, English Literature and Maths. I chose Triple Science, French, Religious Studies and Geography. Honestly, Geography is sooo easy. All you need to do is memorise a few case studies and you're guaranteed a good grade. Also, it's quite enjoyable and interesting. It also looks better than Dance tbh.
beccabokka
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Livvvvxx)
Hi!! So for my gcse options I have taken french, 3 sciences and history which are all very academic subjects. For my fourth option I am unsure between geography or dance. I was going to take geography from the start however my mum advised that I needed a lighter subject so I thought dance. There are pros and cons for both so it's hard to pick which one.
Dance: I enjoy dance and it involves coursework meaning I get some of the work out the way as with the new gcse there is no coursework other than for practical subjects. The thing I am worried about with dance is that I haven't always been amazing at dance in school as I do street dance outside of school. I am also not flexible and the group of people who I would go with in the group dance section are flexible so therefore I feel I would look bad against them.
Geography: I have always been good at geography especially because it involves a right or wrong answer. I sometimes enjoy it however not always the part about rivers- I might be able to make myself enjoy that part tbh lol. The reason I didn't take geography from the start was because it is another academic subject with my others and involves a lot of revising and so if I take it will it bring all my other subject marks down too?! The other good thing about geography compared to dance is that it is more beneficial for later life if I wanted to take geography as an a level etc
It's kind of between if I take the subject I enjoy or the subject I am good at. I may stress if I take the subject I enjoy (dance). I guess I could join some contemporary classes but idk. Or is it that I should take the subject I am good at but involves lots of revising?!
Please help thank you so much!

I took 3 sciences, French, history and geog and I don't regret it for a moment. Geography ended up being the subject I enjoyed most actually, as it felt very practical and relevant. I actually dropped art because although I love it, the coursework felt more like a chore and hard work, so it was less fun than my other subjects and really sucked the enjoyment out of something I loved. So I would recommend my choices but it's up to you and what you feel like benefits you
chloexe
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
At GCSE I also took Geography, the course has really interesting bits and others not so much. However, if you are are thinking about going to university after your GCSEs/A-Levels, geography will really help with knowing which method of revision works for you. When I did this course, I had coursework for it, which brought my grade up after my exam, it's definitely worth thinking about if you enjoy a majority of the subject.Hope this helps!
Millieclatworthy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Do geography as it is an interesting and broad subject which will improve your essay writing skills and ability to apply statistics, along with time management and learning genuinely interesting content. You will also enjoy dance more if you don’t associate it with school and important exams!!!
Daisy.renton
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi Livvvvxx,I personally think that dance is better because it's way better than geography take t from someone who knows I thought that geography would be an easy subject and I was told that I was good at it but now I'm just about to take th exam and I have got nothing good out of it I don't even know about thee places where I live an in every mock leading up to it I have failed you've taken well academic subjects and if you don't take an easier one then I think you will find school life too stressful also dance is way healthier for you hope this helped bye..
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (23)
8.52%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (38)
14.07%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (46)
17.04%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (38)
14.07%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (78)
28.89%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
17.41%

Watched Threads