GCSE OPTION PICKING- geography or dance please help am desperate Watch

Pleeasehelpme
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi!! So for my gcse options I have taken french, 3 sciences and history which are all very academic subjects. For my fourth option I am unsure between geography or dance. I was going to take geography from the start however my mum advised that I needed a lighter subject so I thought dance. There are pros and cons for both so it's hard to pick which one.
Dance: I enjoy dance and it involves coursework meaning I get some of the work out the way as with the new gcse there is no coursework other than for practical subjects. The thing I am worried about with dance is that I haven't always been amazing at dance in school as I do street dance outside of school. I am also not flexible and the group of people who I would go with in the group dance section are flexible so therefore I feel I would look bad against them.
Geography: I have always been good at geography especially because it involves a right or wrong answer. I sometimes enjoy it however not always the part about rivers- I might be able to make myself enjoy that part tbh lol. The reason I didn't take geography from the start was because it is another academic subject with my others and involves a lot of revising and so if I take it will it bring all my other subject marks down too?! The other good thing about geography compared to dance is that it is more beneficial for later life if I wanted to take geography as an a level etc
It's kind of between if I take the subject I enjoy or the subject I am good at. I may stress if I take the subject I enjoy (dance). I guess I could join some contemporary classes but idk. Or is it that I should take the subject I am good at but involves lots of revising?!
Please help thank you so much!
Lucky10
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Pleeasehelpme)
Hi!! So for my gcse options I have taken french, 3 sciences and history which are all very academic subjects. For my fourth option I am unsure between geography or dance. I was going to take geography from the start however my mum advised that I needed a lighter subject so I thought dance. There are pros and cons for both so it's hard to pick which one.
Dance: I enjoy dance and it involves coursework meaning I get some of the work out the way as with the new gcse there is no coursework other than for practical subjects. The thing I am worried about with dance is that I haven't always been amazing at dance in school as I do street dance outside of school. I am also not flexible and the group of people who I would go with in the group dance section are flexible so therefore I feel I would look bad against them.
Geography: I have always been good at geography especially because it involves a right or wrong answer. I sometimes enjoy it however not always the part about rivers- I might be able to make myself enjoy that part tbh lol. The reason I didn't take geography from the start was because it is another academic subject with my others and involves a lot of revising and so if I take it will it bring all my other subject marks down too?! The other good thing about geography compared to dance is that it is more beneficial for later life if I wanted to take geography as an a level etc
It's kind of between if I take the subject I enjoy or the subject I am good at. I may stress if I take the subject I enjoy (dance). I guess I could join some contemporary classes but idk. Or is it that I should take the subject I am good at but involves lots of revising?!
Tbh for geography from the get go if you stay in top of your work it's much less revising when it comes down to it. Also, to See a student who's picked both geo and history looks really good. But end of the day it's what you feel best with. I doubt dance gives you a full GCSE does it.
Doonesbury
  • Section Leader
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Lucky10)
I doubt dance gives you a full GCSE does it.
Yes it does.
Pleeasehelpme
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Lucky10)
Tbh for geography from the get go if you stay in top of your work it's much less revising when it comes down to it. Also, to See a student who's picked both geo and history looks really good. But end of the day it's what you feel best with. I doubt dance gives you a full GCSE does it.
Thank you so much! And yes dance does give you a full gcse however the course is very new- 60% practical 40%theory. I am not worried about the theory just the practical tbh.
squeakysquirrel
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

There is a GCSE in dance! Ye gods what is the education system coming to. And we wonder why British kids do so badly academically on the world stage
Lucky10
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thank you so much! And yes dance does give you a full gcse however the course is very new- 60% practical 40%theory. I am not worried about the theory just the practical tbh.
Just another note if geo will help you in future with something that you may want to go into or even related it's important
Crumpet1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I took the exact same subjects as you (including geography) without problem. I also got quite a lot of pressure to pick a lighter subject, but all of the choices were things I could do outside school and I didn't feel I needed to study a GCSE in them.

A lot will depend on how academically able you are, and how much you are willing to revise as you go along.
YaliaV
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Can you do any style of dance for the practical part?
Doonesbury
  • Section Leader
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by squeakysquirrel)
There is a GCSE in dance! Ye gods what is the education system coming to. And we wonder why British kids do so badly academically on the world stage
They have dance as an examined option in secondary school co-curricular activities in Singapore.

Seems to work ok for them...
squeakysquirrel
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Doonesbury)
They have dance as an examined option in secondary school co-curricular activities in Singapore.

Seems to work ok for them...
Still a very stupid subject to have a GCSE in - called dumbing down.
YaliaV
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You could actually try to help the OP instead of adding nothing and being a beatch.
Doonesbury
  • Section Leader
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It's been a GCSE since 1990 (at least).
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
lucreziag
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

Definitely take geography in my opinion - dance is hard if you aren't like REALLY good at it. Geography is pretty easy and more respected, you're more likely to get a better grade and at the end of the day universities only look at the grades you got. Rivers is only a tiny section of it too.
gnewton12
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I would recommend taking dance - it is unlikely you will be able to cope with both Geography and History.
evoevo101
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I did my GCSEs last year. I didn't take either of those options but a lot of my friends did. In terms of a long term view of your options and how it may impact on your future, I would say unless you are planning on becoming part of a dance studio or going to performing arts college, stick with geography. There are a lot of elements in it which will also help you a lot in your Biology and Chemistry classes. However, if you are more interested in dance and think that taking Geography will add to your workload(because it is a lot of work) too much that it all becomes overwhelming, go with dance. It's all about how you think you can manage the workload and obviously what you enjoy most
anonymous2556
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by gnewton12)
I would recommend taking dance - it is unlikely you will be able to cope with both Geography and History.
It's not that hard coping with both - it's just like doing any 2 GCSEs. They go hand in hand.
KreativeHawk
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by gnewton12)
Well that's fantastic to hear.
squeakysquirrel
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by YaliaV)
You could actually try to help the OP instead of adding nothing and being a beatch.
With respect I am helping - Dance is a very silly subject to have a GCSE in. I would steer towards geography. Getting onto a decent university course is competitive and if you want to succeed in life you need as many good qualifications as possible.

I have had a look at the GCSE questions - if my cat could read she could answer them. I can answer them and I have not even studied the syllabus.
Amina190
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey,
Choice is totally yours. You've sort of weighed the pros and cons of each jus depends whether your okay with another academic subject and having more revision or choosing a lighter subject but making sure you as good as your group mates. TBH history and geography are completely different and if you prepare well and from early on with revision you should be fine when it comes to exams.
It's your choice and think it through and make sure you chose what you wanna do as it's you who's gunna have to study the subjects and sit them exams.
Good luck!
g2201
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Pick geography it will be more helpful and useful for you if you do want to carry on with it in A-Levels, you can do dance outside of school if you enjoy it you can't really do geography outside of school.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    Department of Media, Culture and Language; School of Education; Business School Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19
  • Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19
  • University of Kent
    Sciences, Social Sciences and Humanities Further education
    Tue, 19 Feb '19

Do you give blood?

Yes (69)
8.14%
I used to but I don't now (23)
2.71%