The Student Room Group

GCSE Media Studies

I got 42 (UMS) which is a D and in my coursework I got 76 (UMS) which is C.Did i receive the correct grades someone please answer as soon as possible!
thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ragnarok2
I got 42 (UMS) which is a D and in my coursework I got 76 (UMS) which is C.Did i receive the correct grades someone please answer as soon as possible!
thanks.

Only way t tell is ask teacher about an remark. You must submit your remark claim though the exam officer by Wednesday 20th of September. the deadline is 21, but get it done by Wednesday through your exam officer. You will have to pay the £36.70 fee, but in the event its wrong and you are upgraded then you get a refund.
thanks.

Which exam board?
Original post by 999tigger
Only way t tell is ask teacher about an remark. You must submit your remark claim though the exam officer by Wednesday 20th of September. the deadline is 21, but get it done by Wednesday through your exam officer. You will have to pay the £36.70 fee, but in the event its wrong and you are upgraded then you get a refund.

I think the op meant are the grades correct with that ums given :smile:
If the op is thinking about a remark though then your advise is spot on :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lemur14
Which exam board?

I think the op meant are the grades correct with that ums given :smile:
If the op is thinking about a remark though then your advise is spot on :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

It did cross my mind, but a remark even a clerical one would confirm it was correct.

I dont know what the weightings were to see if it was correct or not. the teacher or exam officer could have a look if needed. If the exam board was stated then that could have been looked at. the OP should ask someone familiar with the grading and calculation.
Original post by 999tigger
It did cross my mind, but a remark even a clerical one would confirm it was correct.

I dont know what the weightings were to see if it was correct or not. the teacher or exam officer could have a look if needed. If the exam board was stated then that could have been looked at. the OP should ask someone familiar with the grading and calculation.

Yes you are indeed correct :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
exam board is aqa guys
Reply 6
bump
thanks.

exam board is aqa guys

Hey, I can confirm these should be correct.
Unit 1 is out of 80 ums, 40 is needed for a D and 48 for a C. By attaining 42 you got a raw mark of 33/60.
Unit 2 is out of 120 ums, 72 is needed for a C and 84 for a B. By attaining 76 you got a raw mark of 52/90.
Overall, you needed 120 ums for a C and you attained 118, hence got a D, 2 ums off a C.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by Lemur14
Hey, I can confirm these should be correct.
Unit 1 is out of 80 ums, 40 is needed for a D and 48 for a C. By attaining 42 you got a raw mark of 33/60.
Unit 2 is out of 120 ums, 72 is needed for a C and 84 for a B. By attaining 76 you got a raw mark of 52/90.
Overall, you needed 120 ums for a C and you attained 118, hence got a D, 2 ums off a C.

Posted from TSR Mobile

but Lemur my teacher said i needed 30 marks to get B and i got a D? so whats that about is it worth a remark or checking over
but Lemur my teacher said i needed 30 marks to get B and i got a D? so whats that about is it worth a remark or checking over

Ah did you take unit 3 and 4 rather than the popular choice of unit 1 and 2?
If this is the case then the grades are still correct, however the raw marks I gave you will be incorrect.
However, there is no unit on the AQA exam board that needs 30 marks for a B. Unit 3 needs 33 marks though.
The deadline for remarks was today so unfortunately it will be too late.
Reply 10
Original post by Lemur14
Ah did you take unit 3 and 4 rather than the popular choice of unit 1 and 2?
If this is the case then the grades are still correct, however the raw marks I gave you will be incorrect.
However, there is no unit on the AQA exam board that needs 30 marks for a B. Unit 3 needs 33 marks though.
The deadline for remarks was today so unfortunately it will be too late.

I did Unit 1 and 2 and in my coursework I got C and my teacher said to get a B I needed 30 marks :/ so im kinda confused here
(edited 6 years ago)
I did Unit 1 and 2 and in my coursework I got C and my teacher said to get a B I needed 30 marks :/ so im kinda confused here

Sorry I don't know much about media, is the coursework unit 1 or unit 2?
They won't have done that, that will have been checked by your teacher when you queried it and depending on the school the exams office may well have checked it as well!
Reply 12
Original post by Lemur14
Sorry I don't know much about media, is the coursework unit 1 or unit 2?
They won't have done that, that will have been checked by your teacher when you queried it and depending on the school the exams office may well have checked it as well!

The coursework is unit 2 120 UMS and i got 76 ums on that (C) and I got D in the exam so I dont think AQA even looked at my coursework do you think I should complain? Because this isnt fair especially when I wanted to do A level media and I didnt get C because the examiner was too lazy to look at my coursework grade
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 13
The coursework is unit 2 120 UMS and i got 76 ums on that (C) and I got D in the exam so I dont think AQA even looked at my coursework do you think I should complain? Because this isnt fair especially when I wanted to do GCSE media and i didnt get C because the examiner was too lazy to look at my coursework grade

so i dont think its a remark they got my grade wrong
Reply 14
bump
The coursework is unit 2 120 UMS and i got 76 ums on that (C) and I got D in the exam so I dont think AQA even looked at my coursework do you think I should complain? Because this isnt fair especially when I wanted to do A level media and I didnt get C because the examiner was too lazy to look at my coursework grade

so i dont think its a remark they got my grade wrong

76/120 is only just a C as you need 72/120. To then get a B overall you would have needed 64 ums which was 45/60 raw marks. To get the C overall you needed 44 ums in the exam which was 35/60 raw marks. As you got 42 ums ( 33 raw marks) then this was not the C overall unfortunately and the grade was correct.
I'm not sure exactly what your teacher meant when the said you needed 30 marks for the B, but they were definitely incorrect.
Reply 16
Original post by Lemur14
76/120 is only just a C as you need 72/120. To then get a B overall you would have needed 64 ums which was 45/60 raw marks. To get the C overall you needed 44 ums in the exam which was 35/60 raw marks. As you got 42 ums ( 33 raw marks) then this was not the C overall unfortunately and the grade was correct.
I'm not sure exactly what your teacher meant when the said you needed 30 marks for the B, but they were definitely incorrect.

ok thanks for your help Lemur but do u think its worth to get a remark for those 2 marks
ok thanks for your help Lemur but do u think its worth to get a remark for those 2 marks

No problem. I would say it would be worth it, but as I stated above I believe the deadline was today for remarks so it's too late. It's certainly tomorrow at the absolute latest.
Reply 18
Original post by Lemur14
No problem. I would say it would be worth it, but as I stated above I believe the deadline was today for remarks so it's too late. It's certainly tomorrow at the absolute latest.

ah tomorrow is inset days for most schools i think so I think its too late ): thx anyway are u a teacher btw?
ah tomorrow is inset days for most schools i think so I think its too late ): thx anyway are u a teacher btw?

Most schools? None round here! Jeans for Genes day at all schools bar one in this area is about the most significant thing happening tomorrow :lol:
I'm not actually a teacher, I'm in year 12, but I have an understanding of all this stuff since I have done GCSEs over 3 years and have needed to work out things like this a few times!

Quick Reply

Latest