The Student Room Group

paper chromatography help

IMG_7870.JPGCan someone help me with this question? I've ald written the answer on it. Is it about the inductive effect? Thank you
Original post by Snowie9
IMG_7870.JPGCan someone help me with this question? I've ald written the answer on it. Is it about the inductive effect? Thank you

No, it's about polarity and the ability of carboxylic acid groups to dissociate.
Reply 2
Original post by charco
No, it's about polarity and the ability of carboxylic acid groups to dissociate.

Can you explain a little further on how?
Reply 3
You could also explain it in terms of hydrogen bonding. There are differing numbers of O atoms that will be forming H-bonds to the compound and not to the solvent.

More H-bonds = less solubility in non-polar solvent.
Reply 4
Original post by Pigster
You could also explain it in terms of hydrogen bonding. There are differing numbers of O atoms that will be forming H-bonds to the compound and not to the solvent.

More H-bonds = less solubility in non-polar solvent.

Since the solvent is non polar right, a non polar molecule can move fastest in it am i correct? May i ask how do you determine that the one with alcohol group is least polar and the others more polar?
Reply 5
Original post by Snowie9
Since the solvent is non polar right, a non polar molecule can move fastest in it am i correct? May i ask how do you determine that the one with alcohol group is least polar and the others more polar?

The OH bond in carboxylic acids is sooo polar that the H often pops off as H+. Alcohols are not acidic.
Reply 6
Original post by Pigster
The OH bond in carboxylic acids is sooo polar that the H often pops off as H+. Alcohols are not acidic.

Alright got it. Thanks :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest