1ucy26
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Is there any point in applying to universities that are asking for high entry requirements than you have been predicted? I have been looking at undergraduate courses for history, and really liked the course at Leeds (35 points in the IB), York (36 points), and Exeter (34-38 points). However, I have been predicted 34 points (HL-6,6,6, SL-6,5,5) without core points. I am hoping to get 2 or 3 core points too. Is there any point in applying to those uni's?
Rohit_Rocks10
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by 1ucy26)
Is there any point in applying to universities that are asking for high entry requirements than you have been predicted? I have been looking at undergraduate courses for history, and really liked the course at Leeds (35 points in the IB), York (36 points), and Exeter (34-38 points). However, I have been predicted 33 points (HL-6,6,6, SL-5,5,5) without core points. I am hoping to get 2 or 3 core points too. Is there any point in applying to those uni's?
No harm in applying coz i know someone predicted AAB and she got an AAA offer for medicine
poppyelsie
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
yeah it's worth applying, some Uni's do 'Merit and Potential' type offers - if your Personal Statement is really good then they will lower the offer by one grade. Also they might give you an offer that's higher than your predicted grades.
1ucy26
Rep:
?
(Original post by Rohit_Rocks10)
No harm in applying coz i know someone predicted AAB and she got an AAA offer for medicine
Ok thanks, I might give it a try. Hopefully I'll get another 6 at SL, but I wasn't sure how strict they are on predicted grades.
1ucy26
Rep:
?
(Original post by poppyelsie)
yeah it's worth applying, some Uni's do 'Merit and Potential' type offers - if your Personal Statement is really good then they will lower the offer by one grade. Also they might give you an offer that's higher than your predicted grades.
Ah that's great, thank you! I'm working on the PS now... I'll just try and make it as polished as possible!
Juno
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by 1ucy26)
Ah that's great, thank you! I'm working on the PS now... I'll just try and make it as polished as possible!
No, don't expect a lower offer because of a good personal statement. You'll need an excellent personal statement to get an offer - but it will be the standard offer if given. You would then need to get those grades to be guaranteed a place.

It can be a good choice to apply to some unis that want higher grades, but do not use all 5 of your options in that way unless you're prepared for 5 rejections
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Some Unis, and only for some subjects, will consider an application that is 'one grade below'. But that is not universal and so you risk a wasted choice. This is why the usual recommendation for your 5 choices is :
1 at one grade above your predictions
2 or 3 at your predictions
1 or 2 lower than your predictions

More advice in How to Avoid 5 Rejections : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/uni...ity-rejections
1ucy26
Rep:
?
(Original post by Juno)
No, don't expect a lower offer because of a good personal statement. You'll need an excellent personal statement to get an offer - but it will be the standard offer if given. You would then need to get those grades to be guaranteed a place.

It can be a good choice to apply to some unis that want higher grades, but do not use all 5 of your options in that way unless you're prepared for 5 rejections
(Original post by returnmigrant)
Some Unis, and only for some subjects, will consider an application that is 'one grade below'. But that is not universal and so you risk a wasted choice. This is why the usual recommendation for your 5 choices is :
1 at one grade above your predictions
2 or 3 at your predictions
1 or 2 lower than your predictions

More advice in How to Avoid 5 Rejections : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/uni...ity-rejections
Good point for both posts, would you recommend applying to both Leeds and York, due to the fact I am hoping to get 2/3 core points and am predicted 666 at higher level? Thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (162)
14.5%
I'm not sure (50)
4.48%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (330)
29.54%
I have already dropped out (33)
2.95%
I'm not a current university student (542)
48.52%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed