The Student Room Group

Still trying to get started on your PS?

If you are worried about cramming everything into a PS, here are some simple tips:

1) Don't waste space talking about your A level subjects in turn. If there is one thing in one A level that inspired your interest in the subject you are actually applying for, mention it, otherwise scrap all of it.

2) Answer these 3 questions : a) I want to spend 3 years studying this subject, and only this subject, at Uni for three whole years because ... b) What evidence can I give you that shows I've got a genuine interest in this subject at a higher level than A level, c) What makes me an interesting person - two lines on what else you do apart from A levels and why you do it.

3) Check how many times you have used 'I' or 'me' (I think, I realised, I believe, it showed me etc etc). If you haven't used this, its an essay not a Personal Statement.

4) Don't waffle, say what you mean and don't use fancy words/phrases (ie. 'piqued my interest'). Write in short concise sentences. Check your spelling and grammar carefully - it matters.
Original post by returnmigrant
If you are worried about cramming everything into a PS, here are some simple tips:

1) Don't waste space talking about your A level subjects in turn. If there is one thing in one A level that inspired your interest in the subject you are actually applying for, mention it, otherwise scrap all of it.

2) Answer these 3 questions : a) I want to spend 3 years studying this subject, and only this subject, at Uni for three whole years because ... b) What evidence can I give you that shows I've got a genuine interest in this subject at a higher level than A level, c) What makes me an interesting person - two lines on what else you do apart from A levels and why you do it.

3) Check how many times you have used 'I' or 'me' (I think, I realised, I believe, it showed me etc etc). If you haven't used this, its an essay not a Personal Statement.

4) Don't waffle, say what you mean and don't use fancy words/phrases (ie. 'piqued my interest':wink:. Write in short concise sentences. Check your spelling and grammar carefully - it matters.

This is great :smile: We also have our own PS resources on TSR below so please don't keep bumping your thread.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending