LemonYellow345
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi everyone My move in date was supposed to be yesterday, and so I packed up and moved in, taking my mum with me, but as soon as it hit me while I was there that I was moving away from home into an environment I know practically nothing about I just started crying and couldn't stop, so in the end I just came home with my mum (I don't live that far away). Now that I'm home I don't want to leave at all and I don't know what to do. I have a small list of options - commuting, deferring etc - but what about my finances now? Does anyone have any advice? Thanks
Bernadette04
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
My advice is go back.

We have to face life as adults once we turn 18 and you panicked and fled back home immediately. You need to give things time, and get to know your new environment and meet new people. If the Uni isn't that far away, your mum can see you quite often for support. But you really need to give this new phase of your life a chance, before packing it all in and running home.

If you decide to now stop and live at home, you have to phone Student Finance and say your accomodation needs have now changed and you are living at home.

Allow yourself chance to find your feet though at Uni. We all get scared and afraid about new environments and new challenges but that is all about growing up and experiencing life. You will find things new, tough and challenging, but stick it out for a bit and see if you can cope. It will make you feel you at least gave it a try.
OwlOfFire
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Go back it is normal to feel totally overwhelmed at the prospect of a new start, but you have to start some where. Lots of people will be in a similar position to you and at first it will be hard, but you will get passed it.
Royal Holloway, University of London
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by LemonYellow345)
Hi everyone My move in date was supposed to be yesterday, and so I packed up and moved in, taking my mum with me, but as soon as it hit me while I was there that I was moving away from home into an environment I know practically nothing about I just started crying and couldn't stop, so in the end I just came home with my mum (I don't live that far away). Now that I'm home I don't want to leave at all and I don't know what to do. I have a small list of options - commuting, deferring etc - but what about my finances now? Does anyone have any advice? Thanks
Hi LemonYellow,

I'm so sorry to hear you were feeling a bit anxious about the transition into uni, but don't worry - that's totally natural. Our Student Support pages have some info that you might find useful.

If you're still not feeling up to staying in Halls right now but you are able to commute, have you considered coming onto campus for the day activities during Welcome Week? You can check out the schedule of what's happening here, but even just popping along to the societies fair or hanging out in your Halls kitchen/pantry to meet some of your flatmates might make you feel a bit more comfortable easing into the transition. You could spend a bit of time making your room in Halls really feel like home with loads of pictures and all of your stuff, and just generally getting used to it and meeting new people.

Just remember you're not alone! So many people will also be feeling nervous about the transition, and we're here to support you. I'd recommend connecting with our Community and Wellbeing team on [email protected] and letting them know about how you're feeling. They should be able to support you in whatever you wish to do next, and they're definitely the best people to connect with.

Let me know if you have any more questions!

Summer
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (117)
38.36%
The paper was reasonable (145)
47.54%
Not feeling great about that exam... (29)
9.51%
It was TERRIBLE (14)
4.59%

Watched Threads