The Student Room Group

Feeling stupid and worthless.

Met this guy 2 years ago at a part time workplace. He was a level above me and definitely not my type. I'm your quiet, nerdy introvert who's a virgin (at 24) and trying to balance the worldly life with her religious values (muslim). Prior to meeting this guy, I had been in one relationship for 2 years. It ended because long distance was not working but apart from that I feel like if the timing was right, I'd have married him. So naturally it took me a long time to get over him.

Anyway I usually get told that I'm "wise and responsible" and that I carry myself in a way that people respect me (cringe lol). This guy at my workplace was apparently a player and I didn't really care about his existence, as I was just there to make some money and finish my masters. He was honest with me and incredibly respectful of me, even when I didn't see him as anything more than a friend, he was also quite persistent. Eventually we found ourselves spending a lot of time in coffee shops just talking and him opening up about his life, his mums health and ambitions etc. I started liking him and we were dating, I made it clear that my purpose of dating is to progress and I don't sleep around even if he isn't a virgin, he was OK with all this. After about 6 months we were just fighting a lot, about his communication and lack of time given to our relationship. There were times I tried to leave because he had now started to swear at me during our fights, and I was finding myself becoming disrespectful too. He'd say "you've no idea what I'm going through. My mum is in the worst condition and you fight with me about this" - I felt horrible. I felt it was an explanation for his patchy communication too. I'd stay, we'd fight. Now he started to say we should end things. At first it'd hurt me because he was the guy I thought I loved now and saw a future with at some point. I'd accept it. We went back and forth, but this year we took a two month break in which he told me he went on random dates. I find out that he was actually seeing someone in the company I work for and he started seeing her when we were going through our final rough patch, hence the keen desire to end things. I then find out he still keeps in touch with a girl who is apparently his "main" girl for 2 years, and there were probably plenty more. In my own ignorance, I had thought that maybe he was able to remain celibate if he loved me.

He'd tell me about the kind of future he sees once he gets promoted, about how he wants kids with me and how much he loves me. I found this absurd because I haven't given him anything like sex for him to be using me or whispering sweet nothings, in fact I was probably giving him more of a headache when I wasn't supporting him through his tough times so I didn't understand what he wanted from me. It really broke me. I'm not an insecure person, I don't compare myself but I found myself feeling like crap. I care so much for him, it would genuinely hurt me when I heard about his struggles (despite my mammoth sized issues that I was dealing with). I wanted to tell one of my friends who is also a manager at the company we work in, because I felt so useless and stupid, and he would see it as a threat, that I wanted his workplace to think bad of him (like he didn't do this himself?!). I also told him I wanted HIM to tell the other girl the truth, and when he said he couldn't, I said I'd do it.. to which he thought I was threatening him again.

He cried and apologised, I'd never seen him this way. We didn't talk for a month, and then when we did get in touch, he'd call me to just talk about his day. I'd listen. I didn't give him hope, nothing emotional nor talk about my feelings. I'd just say I want the best for him. I hated what he did, but I was feeling stupid about my "threats" and I just had to let all that negative energy go.

He insists he wants me to believe in him and give him a chance. I tell him I don't want a relationship with anyone, but I would like to just see how it goes in terms of us talking like we used to. We were based off a friendship and I wanted to feel that. He'd say a lot, but do very little. His back and forth feelings have me feeling worthless.

"You're stupid and thick, leave me the **** alone"
"I can never leave you alone, I just can't"
"I feel so much for you"
"You're toxic and I don't want you in my life" - (I told him our relationship was becoming toxic and he convinced me we could be better, only to then tell me I was toxic lol)
"I feel so protective of you, I don't want you to be with anyone but me"

Last week, I randomly remembered the girls, and got angry about it because we never resolved it as he just wasn't completely clear about the questions I asked. He ended things because he said I'd never allow myself to get over it. I was very emotional, I told him that I just didn't want to do this anymore and I need to distance myself because I have so much going on regarding my own mother's health and managing my home. He seemed understanding, until we fought again because of what he ends up saying "I just want to enjoy my day off and you bring up emotional things again for what reason, just leave me be" - this was it. I felt like I had dropped everything when he was feeling down about his issues, and this was his reply to me. We're no longer talking but I have never felt so worthless before. I don't even feel like talking to him nor do I want him back.

How have I wasted almost 2 years getting emotionally sucked into this? I really did think I was smarter than this, allowing a guy to make me feel like I am so worthless that I can be dropped just like that. I should've seen it coming, I must sound stupid. I can't talk to anyone because of how stupid it will sound coming from someone like me. So this feeling, alongside my mum's health and the fact we might be kicked out of our place has me struggling to even complete my masters despite being in my final week. I want him to know how this feels, but at the same time I don't want him to know how I feel lol. Sigh.
Reply 1
Wow never realised how long it was!

TLDR; ended up getting sucked into an emotionally manipulative relationship where he cheated and played with my emotions. feel incredibly stupid for doing that so can't talk to anyone because of how it will reflect on me as a person. feels even more stupid because we didn't even have sex and he just seemed to like playing these games with me for almost two years whilst having other women too.
Original post by Anonymous
Met this guy 2 years ago at a part time workplace. He was a level above me and definitely not my type. I'm your quiet, nerdy introvert who's a virgin (at 24) and trying to balance the worldly life with her religious values (muslim). Prior to meeting this guy, I had been in one relationship for 2 years. It ended because long distance was not working but apart from that I feel like if the timing was right, I'd have married him. So naturally it took me a long time to get over him.

Anyway I usually get told that I'm "wise and responsible" and that I carry myself in a way that people respect me (cringe lol). This guy at my workplace was apparently a player and I didn't really care about his existence, as I was just there to make some money and finish my masters. He was honest with me and incredibly respectful of me, even when I didn't see him as anything more than a friend, he was also quite persistent. Eventually we found ourselves spending a lot of time in coffee shops just talking and him opening up about his life, his mums health and ambitions etc. I started liking him and we were dating, I made it clear that my purpose of dating is to progress and I don't sleep around even if he isn't a virgin, he was OK with all this. After about 6 months we were just fighting a lot, about his communication and lack of time given to our relationship. There were times I tried to leave because he had now started to swear at me during our fights, and I was finding myself becoming disrespectful too. He'd say "you've no idea what I'm going through. My mum is in the worst condition and you fight with me about this" - I felt horrible. I felt it was an explanation for his patchy communication too. I'd stay, we'd fight. Now he started to say we should end things. At first it'd hurt me because he was the guy I thought I loved now and saw a future with at some point. I'd accept it. We went back and forth, but this year we took a two month break in which he told me he went on random dates. I find out that he was actually seeing someone in the company I work for and he started seeing her when we were going through our final rough patch, hence the keen desire to end things. I then find out he still keeps in touch with a girl who is apparently his "main" girl for 2 years, and there were probably plenty more. In my own ignorance, I had thought that maybe he was able to remain celibate if he loved me.

He'd tell me about the kind of future he sees once he gets promoted, about how he wants kids with me and how much he loves me. I found this absurd because I haven't given him anything like sex for him to be using me or whispering sweet nothings, in fact I was probably giving him more of a headache when I wasn't supporting him through his tough times so I didn't understand what he wanted from me. It really broke me. I'm not an insecure person, I don't compare myself but I found myself feeling like crap. I care so much for him, it would genuinely hurt me when I heard about his struggles (despite my mammoth sized issues that I was dealing with). I wanted to tell one of my friends who is also a manager at the company we work in, because I felt so useless and stupid, and he would see it as a threat, that I wanted his workplace to think bad of him (like he didn't do this himself?!). I also told him I wanted HIM to tell the other girl the truth, and when he said he couldn't, I said I'd do it.. to which he thought I was threatening him again.

He cried and apologised, I'd never seen him this way. We didn't talk for a month, and then when we did get in touch, he'd call me to just talk about his day. I'd listen. I didn't give him hope, nothing emotional nor talk about my feelings. I'd just say I want the best for him. I hated what he did, but I was feeling stupid about my "threats" and I just had to let all that negative energy go.

He insists he wants me to believe in him and give him a chance. I tell him I don't want a relationship with anyone, but I would like to just see how it goes in terms of us talking like we used to. We were based off a friendship and I wanted to feel that. He'd say a lot, but do very little. His back and forth feelings have me feeling worthless.

"I feel so much for you"
"You're toxic and I don't want you in my life" - (I told him our relationship was becoming toxic and he convinced me we could be better, only to then tell me I was toxic lol)

Last week, I randomly remembered the girls, and got angry about it because we never resolved it as he just wasn't completely clear about the questions I asked. He ended things because he said I'd never allow myself to get over it. I was very emotional, I told him that I just didn't want to do this anymore and I need to distance myself because I have so much going on regarding my own mother's health and managing my home. He seemed understanding, until we fought again because of what he ends up saying "I just want to enjoy my day off and you bring up emotional things again for what reason, just leave me be" - this was it. I felt like I had dropped everything when he was feeling down about his issues, and this was his reply to me. We're no longer talking but I have never felt so worthless before. I don't even feel like talking to him nor do I want him back.

How have I wasted almost 2 years getting emotionally sucked into this? I really did think I was smarter than this, allowing a guy to make me feel like I am so worthless that I can be dropped just like that. I should've seen it coming, I must sound stupid. I can't talk to anyone because of how stupid it will sound coming from someone like me. So this feeling, alongside my mum's health and the fact we might be kicked out of our place has me struggling to even complete my masters despite being in my final week. I want him to know how this feels, but at the same time I don't want him to know how I feel lol. Sigh.

Oh my god - can I firstly just say how sorry I am, I'm not going to give you my pity because that is undermining but I am going to show my anger and my understanding.
First point: YOU ARE NOT STUPID - YOU ARE AMAZING AND DON'T LET ANYONE ELSE TELL YOU OTHERWISE!!!!!!!! I would say I love you but I don't know you and thats kinda creepy...
Second point: That guy is a d*ck. Its not your fault AT ALL - he messed you around
I am so sorry but I feel that I can't advise you on your situation because i think that what i say will not help because there are serious elements here that can only be decided by you and no one else. Also, I am quite a few years younger than you and don't want to make a silly mistake/error of words because of my age and also i don't want to make you think that my word should be taken/acted upon because i might be "wise, knowledgeable and experienced" because I am none of those things.
One thing i can suggest however is possibly relationship advice/counselling which can help you (and the guy in mention) deal with your issues between each other and help your emotional state in the future.
My thoughts are with you, good luck xxx
Reply 3
Original post by ebickers
Oh my god - can I firstly just say how sorry I am, I'm not going to give you my pity because that is undermining but I am going to show my anger and my understanding.
First point: YOU ARE NOT STUPID - YOU ARE AMAZING AND DON'T LET ANYONE ELSE TELL YOU OTHERWISE!!!!!!!! I would say I love you but I don't know you and thats kinda creepy...
Second point: That guy is a d*ck. Its not your fault AT ALL - he messed you around
I am so sorry but I feel that I can't advise you on your situation because i think that what i say will not help because there are serious elements here that can only be decided by you and no one else. Also, I am quite a few years younger than you and don't want to make a silly mistake/error of words because of my age and also i don't want to make you think that my word should be taken/acted upon because i might be "wise, knowledgeable and experienced" because I am none of those things.
One thing i can suggest however is possibly relationship advice/counselling which can help you (and the guy in mention) deal with your issues between each other and help your emotional state in the future.
My thoughts are with you, good luck xxx

Aww lol thank you, that's very kind of you. I can just imagine his reply if I ever asked him to come therapy with me "I'm Nigerian, you're Pakistani.. you think we ever do therapy?" or some silly joke like that.

It's very tough to get into the correct frame of mind when you've literally been doing these theatrics for almost two years. It's drained me a lot.
Original post by Anonymous

"I feel so much for you"

Don't beat yourself up. You are human. You feel things like anyone does. You invested so much time into someone which is why you are as upset as you are. I can relate. I really liked this guy I used to work with and it got complicated because we worked together. It came to the point I was excited to have a shift with him because I saw him but we wouldn't even talk. It took me ages to get over it because I never got on so well like I did with him. I also had this on and off thing with a guy for 2 and a half years... and tbh did I really like him? Probably not but I got attached. What I'm trying to say is you are human and you will heal and feel better. It takes time. ALOT of time. You will feel upset but it will get better. You are gonna have good and bad days but you'll pull through
Reply 5
I just don't know what it is, if it's attachment rather than having feelings. How can I love someone who has treated me like this? But how can he just go back and forth with me for so long especially when we weren't even sleeping together? I just feel suffocated, like I can't deal with anything as well as I used to because this has hindered my ability to see clearly or be confident in my decision making.
Reply 6
Before I give my advice, I would like to say - what you want right now is probably be heard and listened to... empathy and unconditional support

so .....*silence*.....

I can empathise with what you might be feeling, however, don't disregard what you are feeling, it has a purpose, there is a lesson to be learned from this. If you didn't go through this, then you don't grow.

When people say that a person is *insert label here* they are. Believe them. They probably know more about this person than you. Don't hope that they are wrong or that you can change them.
Don't let a person who has treated you so badly, have so much control over what you feel. Keep telling yourself 'He doesn't give a sh**, so why should I?'
Listen to yourself. Chances are throughout the period of talking to him/dating him, there was a voice inside your head or a gut feeling that was telling you something wasn't right but you didn't pay enough attention to it because you liked him so much and you wanted something good in your life and liked the feeling of someone who wanted to know more about you.
Pay attention. Being a player, he would have given himself away in some shape or form trust me, details are everything. Take this experience as a way to inform you of the ways that these people work.
Remain hopeful that you will find something good, yet be realistic. This was just a bad experience. Not all men are the same.
Master manipulators know your weakness better than you do. If you understand your weaknesses, and am able to make that into your biggest strength they can't touch you. Have a strategy. Better still, be willing to test people.

It's a setback/obstacle, if you work with yourself to strengthen the very thing that he has weakened. Ability to make good decisions and see clearly. You will be OK. Your intuition is there to help you find the things you want, Trust it!
I had a similar experience, not the same. When I finally cut off, I was like 'Thank God, I did not sleep with him!' - I found a positive. Not that if you did sleep with him was a negative.

When you feel suffocated, not being able to deal with anything. Feel it. Then when you slept on it and wake up the next day. 'Look at me, I'm still here. I made it. One more day' - say that every day and it will empower you because no matter how crap you feel. The fact is: You are still here.

I don't think it's love, you can care for someone and they can manipulate you so much that you start thinking these good feelings are real, they are not, they have been created and manufactured so that he can get what he wants from you with minimum effort.
He knew your core needs and he manipulated them instead of just accepting them. He's ugly and has no moral compass.
Why was he with you despite nothing sexual? - Because he was getting things from you emotionally. He did not want anyone else to have you.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 7
In all honesty, I'm a bit clueless when it comes to "signs of players" - I knew that he was, but he was honest and up front about all the things he'd done and I am not one to just write someone off for their past mistakes.

I feel like I really need him to be open and honest about himself, and why he does what he does so that I can move forward. I really don't want anything else. I've tried every possible thing to distract myself with but when I deal with the situation with my mum, my career and finding a place, I can't help but bring this to the fore because it's why I've been so crap at decision making and having that control or discipline in my life. I can't believe I allowed one person to do that to me for over a year.
Reply 8
You gave the chance to the wrong person. Yes, take risks, but calculated ones.

He was honest and upfront, that could have been a ploy. He was telling you exactly who he was. People don't change unless they want to. I know you probably did not want to write him off. But, it's more about how you wanted to be perceived by him. Sometimes instead of being accepting and understanding, you have to be judgemental. I know it seems weird saying that. Judgement can protect you in the right scenarios.

You are not going to get that from him. He does not have quality inside him. He is used to lying/witholding information. He's not going to explain himself. Stop focusing on what you want from him. He's not worthy. You will never get those answers. Focus on what you can give yourself.
It's not about distracting yourself, its about accepting where you allowed yourself to be manipulated, was there some issues going on your life that led you attaching yourself to him, explore why you let him in your life, any unhealthy patterns, habits in previous rships etc.

Look, you can strengthen yourself again, you are more resilient than you think.

It happened. That time has gone. Accepting that someone played you it's not nice. You may not like it, but it's OK. You are not the only one who has been through this. It only matters what you do about it now.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending