The Student Room Group

Armed police in Spain raid Catalan government agencies and take political prisoners

Edit: Sorry, wrong thread
(edited 6 years ago)
Civil wars have been started over less.
This should be ripe ground for Podemos to exploit.
Reply 3
Original post by Mathemagicien
And now Spain are raiding Catalan government agencies, telecommunications centres, and arrested several government officials.

http://www.ara.cat/politica/Guardia-Civil-departament-dEconomia-Generalitat_0_1873012787.html (Spanish)
https://www.cnbc.com/2017/09/20/spanish-police-raid-catalan-government-buildings-over-fears-of-independence-vote.html (English)

Over the weekend Spain’s Guardia Civil confiscated more than 1.3m pro-independence posters, flyers and pamphlets.

On Tuesday they raided the offices of Spain’s biggest private delivery company Unipost and seized over 45,000 envelopes that the Catalan government was to send to notify people about the referendum.

Police have also threatened legal action against individuals organising the vote, including mayors, politicians and even ordinary people helping at the polling station.

The ECHR is going to have a field day with this, surely. What charges do the police hope to bring? It's surely not illegal for a local administration to run what is effectively a glorified opinion poll. I'm not that well-versed in Spanish law, though.
Original post by Dez
The ECHR is going to have a field day with this, surely. What charges do the police hope to bring? It's surely not illegal for a local administration to run what is effectively a glorified opinion poll. I'm not that well-versed in Spanish law, though.

Disobedience
Deceipt
Misuse of public funds

That's the three things I read.
its ****ing strange for catalans who said they want to leave spain because spain ask them to pay more tax than they receive, only to join EU after that. as if EU wont ask them to pay more than they receive to bail out greece and others
The EU doesn't spend their money on occupying their state with armed police raiding their government buildings. And leaving the EU is always an option for the people of any state within it, whereas there is no real legal option for Catalan to exit from Spain.

If they didnt try that referendum stunt no buildings would be raided.
If someone kidnaps you, locks you in a cellar, but treats you nicely, so long as you stay in your cellar; then beats you up when you try to escape: who is at fault for the beating?

You are talking as if catalans want to leave because of spanish government raiding their buildings. Its actually quite the opposite.

Lets put this in correct context. If i am born in a family i didnt choose. Family is not perfect and not rich but much better than other abusive family eg pakistan cuba venezuela. Family has a house. I start to hate my family, but instead of leaving the house and live somewhere i demand to partition my room out of the house. How selfish is that?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by HucktheForde
its ****ing strange for catalans who said they want to leave spain because spain ask them to pay more tax than they receive, only to join EU after that. as if EU wont ask them to pay more than they receive to bail out greece and others

well it is spain...
Original post by ckfeister
well it is spain...

That would be the ultimate irony. Leave spain for financial purpose. Joins EU and still have to pay to bsilout spain.
Original post by HucktheForde
That would be the ultimate irony. Leave spain for financial purpose. Joins EU and still have to pay to bsilout spain.

from what i see on the news spain is always weird in the bad way
EU are rather silent on all of this?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending