The Student Room Group

Should I Drop English Lang or Sociology?

My subjects are as follows: Psychology, Sociology and English Language. Recently, I decided I want to change one of my courses to Computer Science as I had an interest in learning how to code and possibly get a CS degree in the near future. However, Mathematics isn't my strong point and I only managed to achieve a grade 5 meaning that I could get onto this course if I wanted but I don't know if it is for me. So if I pick this subject then there is no turning back. I also contemplated on picking economics but I was told CS is the better way to go (subjective I know ). I really don't know what to drop though, Sociology or English Lang. I'm extremely indecisive when it comes to these things.
(edited 6 years ago)
I mean, which do you prefer? Which lessons do you look forward to the most? English Language is more challenging and well-regarded; but having said this neither are facilitating so it shouldn't really matter. But I would definitely advise you not to do CS if you only got a 5 in Maths GCSE. It will be very challenging. Hope that can help :smile:
Original post by xhorseloverx
I mean, which do you prefer? Which lessons do you look forward to the most? English Language is more challenging and well-regarded; but having said this neither are facilitating so it shouldn't really matter. But I would definitely advise you not to do CS if you only got a 5 in Maths GCSE. It will be very challenging. Hope that can help :smile:

Thank you for your advice. Well, I'm just gonna have to try haha.
bump
English Language tends to look better than Sociology on University applications but it's whatever you prefer/think you would be better at. I did Sociology AS-Level and thoroughly enjoyed the classroom experiences, but I failed it thanks to incompetent teachers still covering entire topics three days before the exam. There is honestly so much to learn with Sociology that, even though I enjoyed classroom debates/discussions, I would recommend English Language over Sociology.
Original post by southerngothic
English Language tends to look better than Sociology on University applications but it's whatever you prefer/think you would be better at. I did Sociology AS-Level and thoroughly enjoyed the classroom experiences, but I failed it thanks to incompetent teachers still covering entire topics three days before the exam. There is honestly so much to learn with Sociology that, even though I enjoyed classroom debates/discussions, I would recommend English Language over Sociology.

Damn, well, I ended up dropping English Lang ☹️

Quick Reply

Latest