The Student Room Group

Applying for finance after dropping out

Hi,

I went to uni in 2007 before dropping out after the 2nd year due to personal reasons having received 2 years funding. Almost 10 years on and I'm looking at re applying for a new 3 year degree.

I have read that ones eligibility to funding is based on the formula 'Course length + 1 year, less the number of years funding already received'. So for me that would be 3 + 1 - 2 = 2 years. Despite working solidly from the time I dropped out, I'm not able to self fund a years tuition and still owe money on my existing loan.

So my question is:

I know I'll have to apply for Student Finance citing 'compelling personal reasons' and I know it's very unlikely I'll get full funding. But what's the best way of doing this? Do I apply to the uni/course first or should I contact Student Finance online first?

Thanks
Original post by Sollyman
Hi,

I went to uni in 2007 before dropping out after the 2nd year due to personal reasons having received 2 years funding. Almost 10 years on and I'm looking at re applying for a new 3 year degree.

I have read that ones eligibility to funding is based on the formula 'Course length + 1 year, less the number of years funding already received'. So for me that would be 3 + 1 - 2 = 2 years. Despite working solidly from the time I dropped out, I'm not able to self fund a years tuition and still owe money on my existing loan.

So my question is:

I know I'll have to apply for Student Finance citing 'compelling personal reasons' and I know it's very unlikely I'll get full funding. But what's the best way of doing this? Do I apply to the uni/course first or should I contact Student Finance online first?

Thanks

Hi Sollyman,

We would advise that you apply online, then sent in your evidence for compelling personal reasons.

We recommend the evidence -

is signed and dated;

confirms the reason why the student could not continue with their studies; and

when this took place

Photocopies of all evidence can be accepted and this evidence can include:

Medical evidence from a GP

Letter from HEP on headed paper

Letter from Social Services on headed paper

Letter from clergy or professional person on headed paper

Death Certificate and/or

A Birth Certificate

Thanks Catherine
Reply 2
Original post by Catherine SFE
Hi Sollyman,

We would advise that you apply online, then sent in your evidence for compelling personal reasons.

We recommend the evidence -

is signed and dated;

confirms the reason why the student could not continue with their studies; and

when this took place

Photocopies of all evidence can be accepted and this evidence can include:

Medical evidence from a GP

Letter from HEP on headed paper

Letter from Social Services on headed paper

Letter from clergy or professional person on headed paper

Death Certificate and/or

A Birth Certificate

Thanks Catherine

Hi,
Thanks for your response.

I can see the deadline to apply via UCAS is 15th January but applications for Student Finance aren't open yet. When will online student finance applications for 2018/2019 open?

I think there's a section on the UCAS application about finance - if I don't know if I'll be able to get a loan or not before the UCAS deadline of 15/01/2018, what do I put in that section of the UCAS application form?

Many thanks
Hi Sollyman

The 2018/2019 applications won't be open until next year we don't have a date in place as of yet just keep an eye on your online account.

Thanks Miriam

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending