Least respected degrees Watch

This discussion is closed.
arranque
Badges: 0
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Ellie4)
I always thought there were quite a lot of jobs in physio?
Yeah, there used to be, and on the surface it seems to be the sort of vocational type thingy that leads to jobs (albeit not on the same sort of pay-scale as a law or medicine degree), but apparently the fact that its been so glamorised, ie people seeing it as a way to associate with sportspeople or famous people etc, has led to a large increase in the numbers taking it, far exceeding actual demand. Actual demand for the degree mainly lay in the NHS or other health services, not at Liverpool or Manchester United's training grounds. And even here, it was never particularly large, compared with, for example, the demand for nurses or paediatricians.
mobb_theprequel
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by NDGAARONDI)
I disagree.
But then you would.
grapefruit
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
(Original post by Tazzie)
neither...i thought i liked u grapefruit...dont spoil it now!

which do u reckon...and y?
Cos me and my mates are all ding one of the above degrees, and everyone says mine's the joke subject (management), especially the one who wants to do physio, and I just wanted to know if it was true.
TK
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by grapefruit)
Cos me and my mates are all ding one of the above degrees, and everyone says mine's the joke subject (management), especially the one who wants to do physio, and I just wanted to know if it was true.
I don't any of them are. Most people think my course is disrespected too, but F**K them!
shiny
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I've got a degree in TK studies
NDGAARONDI
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
How on earth has history made to that list?
justcallmefoxxy
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I didn't know which to pick! Couldn't there have been an option for a REALLY dumb degree, like that Beckhamology one or something lol.
Mark_KK
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Beckhamology was never actually a degree, I think that it was an elective or something on a social science course at an ex poly.
Mark_KK
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by NDGAARONDI)
How on earth has history made to that list?
History is probably one of the most academic subjects ever, quite how it got on this list I don't know.
InterCity125
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
All but physiotherapy are offered by the top Unis - Oxbridge included. I wouldn't say that they were anything but respected.
Physiotherapy never used to be a dgree subject, and is only valid for a career in that field - I really can't see it makeing an impact outside of it - unlike a Medicine, Law or other 'vocational' degrees, which are transferable.
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Mark_KK)
History is probably one of the most academic subjects ever, quite how it got on this list I don't know.
I think too many people are associating academic with difficulty. If it wasn't for historians I wouldn't be watchinf Battlefield Britain
Dr. Blazed
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by arranque)
Yeah, there used to be, and on the surface it seems to be the sort of vocational type thingy that leads to jobs (albeit not on the same sort of pay-scale as a law or medicine degree), but apparently the fact that its been so glamorised, ie people seeing it as a way to associate with sportspeople or famous people etc, has led to a large increase in the numbers taking it, far exceeding actual demand. Actual demand for the degree mainly lay in the NHS or other health services, not at Liverpool or Manchester United's training grounds. And even here, it was never particularly large, compared with, for example, the demand for nurses or paediatricians.
The growth in physiotherapy is huge at the moment. People are starting to see the use in it for more basic injuries whereas it always used to be just for people who couldn't walk/had broken their back etc. Sure, you might not get a job at a football club, but the amount of smaller practices is just exploding.
Pegasus
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I think all of those degrees are respectable. However, I suppose that perhaps Business is better studied as an MBA rather than undergrad.
Cellardore
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
none
kriztinae
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
id say geography coz its one of the less well paid jobs
i dont know why many people have voted business, yes people tend to find it an easy subject, but chances are that if you study something with business you'l end up getting good pay etc.
FallenSpirit
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
:rolleyes:
Ellie4
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by kriztinae)
id say geography coz its one of the less well paid jobs
i dont know why many people have voted business, yes people tend to find it an easy subject, but chances are that if you study something with business you'l end up getting good pay etc.
Not necessarilly. People with geog degrees are just as likely to go into some sort of general management 9-5 as someone with a business&management degree.
Jump
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Cellardore)
none
I'd agree with that.
Pencil
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I always thought that Business was one of the most respected degrees. I'm shocked that so many people have voted for it. I tried to do Business degree last year, but nobody would accept me for it, hence I did English.
babylon
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Pencil)
I always thought that Business was one of the most respected degrees. I'm shocked that so many people have voted for it. I tried to do Business degree last year, but nobody would accept me for it, hence I did English.

i totally agree, i'm off to warwick to do management and i don't think its fair to say its not a respectable degree.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (153)
27.42%
No (405)
72.58%

Watched Threads