The Student Room Group

Trouble making friends in uni

Hey

I just moved into my uni flat and my flatmates are all international students so they don't really understand me and they don't want to go out. I'm getting jealous because my boyfriend is having the time of his life right now at uni and I'm sat in my dorm depressed and lonely as I don't think I'm going to make any friends.

Should I try and change flats or should I stick with it?
Reply 1
Change flats.
Why would their being international meant they don't understand you lol? I knew loads of international people during uni, got on just fine.

If they don't want to gout though and you do, then fair enough.

Knock on around your neighbouring flats. Invite them out with you or ask them if they want to go the pub. If they ask why just say your flatmates don't drink or like to go out, most people will understand. go along to society taster days etc. There are a lot of people in a similar situation. But you're not going to make any friends if you don't actively get out there.
Original post by SophieSmall
Why would their being international meant they don't understand you lol? I knew loads of international people during uni, got on just fine.

If they don't want to gout though and you do, then fair enough.

Knock on around your neighbouring flats. Invite them out with you or ask them if they want to go the pub. If they ask why just say your flatmates don't drink or like to go out, most people will understand. go along to society taster days etc. There are a lot of people in a similar situation. But you're not going to make any friends if you don't actively get out there.

Do people usually knock on neighbourr flats?
Original post by Pinapple41121

It happened quite a lot during the first few weeks of uni when I was in student accommodation. And I doubt my student accommodation/ the people in it were all that different from everywhere/ everyone else.

Less so as the year went on, but still occasionally.

Of course they do. We had two people from the flat next-door practically move in with our flat, because they liked us and didn't like their own flat.
Original post by Crumpet1
Of course they do. We had two people from the flat next-door practically move in with our flat, because they liked us and didn't like their own flat.

What would I say to them? (sorry for this I just really don't know what to do)
What would I say to them? (sorry for this I just really don't know what to do)

"Hey :smile: I'm [insert name] I live in the flat [insert below, above, next door etc], just wanted to come say hi and see if you guys want to go the pub or something?"

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending