Hamas says it is ready to hold first elections since 2006 Watch

Ninja Squirrel
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-41297016

The Palestinian militant group Hamas says it is ready to dissolve the committee that rules Gaza and hold a general election for the first time since 2006. It also said it was aiming for more talks with rivals Fatah as it aims to end a decade-long split.
Representatives from both groups have been meeting senior Egyptian officials in Cairo.

Fatah welcomed the statement and thanked Egypt for its efforts. Azzam al-Ahmad, head of the Fatah delegation to Egypt, said: "This step strengthens the unity of the Palestinian political echelon and ends the abysmal division that resulted in the suffering of our people."
Underscore__
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Jeremy Corbyn will be on tenterhooks for his friends, what if they lose
Stalin
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The Russians will hack it.
Pulse.
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
George Galloway will be standing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Underscore__)
Jeremy Corbyn will be on tenterhooks for his friends, what if they lose
If this election is deemed free and fair by the UN i will give money to a Palestinian charity.

Hamas are terrorists who have thankfully seen that their aggressive position has done them no favours so they are trying to please the more reasonable Fatah. While good, i have little confidence that they are really prepared to conduct a free and fair election as opposed to a show.
anarchism101
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
If this election is deemed free and fair by the UN i will give money to a Palestinian charity.

Hamas are terrorists who have thankfully seen that their aggressive position has done them no favours so they are trying to please the more reasonable Fatah. While good, i have little confidence that they are really prepared to conduct a free and fair election as opposed to a show.
Whether Hamas or Fatah are more popular among Palestinians has gone up and down, but both are major parties who would have hopes of winning an election. Seems to me more likely that Hamas would pick now because they believe it's a favourable point in time and they're ahead of Fatah right now. Holding a rigged election would accomplish nothing.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (205)
62.12%
Yes- I don't like it (12)
3.64%
No- I want it (90)
27.27%
No- I don't want it (23)
6.97%

Watched Threads