Minimal Wage Equal Pay For All Ages....

Watch this thread
username3541250
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I feel very strongly about this, that no matter what age you are in a job, that pays minimal wage. The wage should be £7.50 no matter if you're under 18 or 25 and over.

In my current job position, and even though I'm 32, we have a lot of younger employees that are like 17-20 years old, doing exactly the same jobs as I do.

Now currently here in the UK this is the structure of minimal wage...

£7.50 for 25's and Over
£7.05 for 21-24
£5.60 for 18-20
£4.05 for under 18's
£3.50 for Apprentices

I believe even if the younger person is still living at home, they're entitled to equal rights of pay.

The biggest problem with the current structure is Ageism whilst companies won't admit to it. Ageism still plays a role in employment even in minimal wage cases.

This is a problem a lot of older people face when applying for jobs, somebody once told me. Once you reach 35, you're classed as too old, when applying for a job, especially in area's like retail. You are fighting against much younger generations.

Not because they can do the job better than you, but because the companies will be able to get cheaper labour out of those younger people. By paying someone £5.60 rather than £7.50

The Minimal Wage structure needs to change and hopefully will make companies more fair on age of the employee.. and give younger people more job satisfaction.
fxlloutboyy
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
It's frustrating the pay is not equal - an 18 year old can have the same bills as a 25 year old however earn less. One advantage is that companies are more likely to hire younger people, giving them experience.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (9)
36%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (8)
32%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
8%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (1)
4%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (1)
4%
I’m starting to consider my university options (3)
12%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (0)
0%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
4%

Watched Threads