Beautystyle12
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I need help with these questions from my sociology homework.
A- What evidence is there to show Durkheim study supports positivists sociology?
B-How does Durkheim study on suic*de links to the concept of validity?
HELP!!!
The Learn Ranger
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
For the first question you need to look at Durkheim's approach to collecting data in his famous study of suicide. He used official suicide statistics from across Europe in order to identify trends and patterns and then developed explanations for varying levels of suicide based on these. So you need to write about how his study demonstrates a positivist approach. Check on the meaning of positivism and then apply to his use of official statistics.

Second issue: many sociologists have questioned the validity of the statistics he used. How accurate are they? Do they reflect the real rate of suicide? Maybe coroners are less likely to reach suicide verdicts in Catholic countries where suicide is viewed so negatively? Maybe coroners are less likely to reach suicide verdicts where victims were married or had children as these are seen as giving people 'a reason to live' and a suicide verdict would upset and stigmatise the family.

Make sure you check definitions of the key words: positivism and validity before answering the question..

Good luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (210)
38.53%
Take autumn exams (164)
30.09%
Look for a job (19)
3.49%
Consider an apprenticeship (22)
4.04%
Take a year out (97)
17.8%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (33)
6.06%

Watched Threads