The Student Room Group

Transgender UCAS application

I am applying through UCAS, and obviously, they ask your gender, as well as if you identify as transgender or not. I have said yes to the transgender question, so should I put down my biological, born with gender of male, or female, which is what I identify with? Cheers.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by stu.jaye
I am applying through UCAS, and obviously, they ask your gender, as well as if you identify as transgender or not. I have said yes to the transgender question, so should I put down my biological, born with gender of male, or female, which is what I identify with? Cheers.

Female, as the whole point of the transgender UCAS application is to accept the person you have chosen to become, as this is the person who will be studying at the university.
Reply 2
Original post by shadowdmdm
Female, as the whole point of the transgender UCAS application is to accept the person you have chosen to become, as this is the person who will be studying at the university.

Thanks, I wasn't sure.
Reply 3

Moved this to our applications, clearing and UCAS forum for you :smile:
Thanks, I wasn't sure.

Any time :tongue:
Reply 5
Original post by Deyesy
Moved this to our applications, clearing and UCAS forum for you :smile:

Cheers

This is the first cycle that UCAS have integrated transgender into the online application. Your question here will help lots of students who are perhaps wondering the same thing.

Best of luck with your application :h:
Reply 7
Original post by She-Ra
This is the first cycle that UCAS have integrated transgender into the online application. Your question here will help lots of students who are perhaps wondering the same thing.

Ahhh, I didn't realise it was so new.
Hi, here to disspell some myths:

1. put the gender you identify, don't put your assigned gender
2. put a title (mr/ms/mrs/mx as appropriate)
3. put your name, you can also use the preferred name box
4. tick the trans box in the questionnaire (this is optional, but it's useful for your uni to know)

once you get to the uni, there may be a bit of a delay if your name on UCAS doesn't match your ID (depends on the uni process) but this is relatively easy to resolve (putting a note on file). some banks (eg hsbc) allow you to use no title or mx if you prefer on your bank account.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by auburnstar

4. tick the trans box in the questionnaire (this is optional, but it's useful for your uni to know)

once you get to the uni, there may be a bit of a delay if your name on UCAS doesn't match your ID (depends on the uni process) but this is relatively easy to resolve (putting a note on file).

Thank you so much for clarifying this, that's really helpful. Are you applying to uni this year too?
Reply 10

once you get to the uni, there may be a bit of a delay if your name on UCAS doesn't match your ID (depends on the uni process) but this is relatively easy to resolve (putting a note on file). some banks (eg hsbc) allow you to use no title or mx if you prefer on your bank account.

Thank you, that really helps. That makes things a lot easier. :smile:
Original post by She-Ra

Pretty sure they've been asking this for a while now - I applied in 2015 and 2016 and it was certainly included then.
Original post by Forecast
Pretty sure they've been asking this for a while now - I applied in 2015 and 2016 and it was certainly included then.

^ Yes, it's been an optional question in the questionnaire section for a long time (at least since 2014 but probably even earlier).

The one thing that is new is that the UCAS PS plagiarism checking team have said that they now are aware of the trans status of an individual if they have marked this on the questionnaire. They've said this is to avoid an accidental accusation of self-plagiarism as gender and name details may be different to the first application. But this is a behind-the-scenes thing mostly affecting people who have transitioned and are applying for a similar course following a gap year (a rather rare situation). :smile:
What would be great though would be if ucas had an other option for gender. It be great to include all the non binary folk applying.
Original post by Snoozinghamster
What would be great though would be if ucas had an other option for gender. It be great to include all the non binary folk applying.

There was actually an online petition to do this. It attracted a good number of signatures - all they did is change 'legal sex' to 'gender'. If unis needed assigned gender, they could just put a field for that and multiple gender options. As someone said above, the point of university is to be genuinely yourself after all :smile:

Also unrelated but I'm really glad at how civil this thread has been, you guys are really nice xD
(edited 6 years ago)
There was actually an online petition to do this. It attracted a good number of signatures - all they did is change 'legal sex' to 'gender'. If unis needed assigned gender, they could just put a field for that and multiple gender options. As someone said above, the point of university is to be genuinely yourself after all :smile:

Also unrelated but I'm really glad at how civil this thread has been, you guys are really nice xD

Have to agree on the civil thing. Definitely a relief after one thread I read earlier. How they think writing gender instead of legal sex helps non binary people I don't know. I appreciate the benefit for mtf or ftm people. Why ucas needs gender I really don't get. Except for the single sex colleges at some Unis.
Have to agree on the civil thing. Definitely a relief after one thread I read earlier. How they think writing gender instead of legal sex helps non binary people I don't know. I appreciate the benefit for mtf or ftm people. Why ucas needs gender I really don't get. Except for the single sex colleges at some Unis.

UCAS use it for marketing and statistics, though I'm not sure what else. I do appreciate the move in the right direction though :biggrin:
Original post by chelseadagg3r
UCAS use it for marketing and statistics, though I'm not sure what else. I do appreciate the move in the right direction though :biggrin:

Hopefully next year then
Hopefully next year then

Yeah. I'm hoping this marks the end of free period products for the people that put female in their application and razors for those who put male. Not everyone putting female will have a need for period products, and hopefully them opening up more to trans people they'll realise this because it feels like they're just ignoring them
An additional problem:
As a trans man I am not out officially to my college or my parents or anything, only informally to my friends and personal tutor.
I don't want to be outed by UCAS but I don't want to have to explain everything post being accepted, tbh.
Should I put the name on my birth certificate? I have not changed it by deed poll so my birth name will be on my exam results.
I am worried that universities will ignore preferred name on the form...especially as my preferred name is so different to my birth name.

Does anyone know anyone I can ask about this kind of thing? Also the major dilemma to me is whether I'm safe to come out - my parents are not accepting and I don't want them knowing anything about me being trans.

Quick Reply

Latest