Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Work experience letter- is this okay?? Please give suggestions Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Dear Mr proctor,

I am currently a student in the upper sixth at ....... School, studying an extended diploma in performing arts. To help support my progression at 18 I wondered if it would be possible to carry out some work experience on a Monday morning within your school.
    I am keen to widen my knowledge in teaching and what it's like in a classroom, and also to enchance my existing skills, possibly by mentoring or reading with some children.
    Primary education has always been an interest of mine and I will be applying to study it at university next year with the view of becoming a qualified primary school teacher.
    I would be pleased to discuss or attend an interview at a mutually convenient time and look forward to hearing from you in the near future.

Yours sincerely,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarahabosch)
    Dear Mr Proctor,

I am currently a student in the upper sixth at ....... School, studying an extended diploma in performing arts. Although I am studying performing arts, primary education has always been an interest of mine and I will be applying to study it at university next year with the view of becoming a qualified primary school teacher.

I am keen to widen my knowledge in teaching, gain some classroom experience and also enhance my existing skills, possibly by mentoring or reading with some children. To help support my progression at 18 I wondered if it would be possible to carry out some work experience at your school. At this time, I am available on Monday mornings.

I would be pleased to discuss or attend an interview at a mutually convenient time and look forward to hearing from you in the near future.

Yours sincerely,
    I think you've got the main idea. I made some changes in the letter above to make it more polished and organized. I'm assuming you are also providing your contact info somewhere so the proctor can contact you, if you aren't emailing the letter. You should also try to find out the Proctor's name instead of addressing him/her by the title. Just call the school and ask the secretary.

Good luck and let me know how it goes.

ReputationRep:
    Hi

Sorry but I'm not keen on your letter:-

Start with " As a dedicated student.... at..studying... I'm writing to enquire if..availability on a Monday morning to . "
    this would flow better

Avoid: - "- I wondered if"
    Avoid - starting sentences with the same words " I am" "I am, "I"

You could say "With a passion for teaching and keen desire to extend my skill sets, an opportunity to work in the classroom, perhaps reading with children or similar would be a massive advantage for my career progression. At the same time, I might be able to add a small amount of value in support to your school.It is my intention to further at University next year in primary school teaching.

You don't need to say.. applying to ..study x to become a x ...
    It's nice if the letter can refer to what you can put back in for them rather than it just being all about "what's in it for me"

You should also add" Thank you for your time afforded in considering this request and I look forward to hearing from you"
    Good manners cost nothing,

Also as pointed out by previous reply it deffo has to be written to the contact name

Hope my thoughts above are of value to you - good luck

ReputationRep:
    Your ending to the letter should also be "Sincerely," not "Sincerely Yours". Sincerely is more business appropriate. To include "yours" makes it more informal.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.